Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gas testing under the u.p.c. And calif. Code

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
    Sorry to trump you on this one Rick but the best one I ever had and still got is an "AMWAY" bottle. Suds, raid the little ladies sink when the colour looks like water again and the suds don't hold.
    I think we're talking the same thing.

Amway, wasn't that the first multi level pyramid marketing co? Not sure the last time ive seen them. Seems like it was in the 70s.

2 days ago I got my 3/8" jetter hose with forward rotor nozzle wedged in a 2" cleanout with a couple 45s in gal steel and durham fittings. Thought I was going to have to cut the pipe out under the house to rescue my prized nozzle. But I raided the kitchen sink and ran some soap down the drain, and filled my spray bottle. Several minutes later I was unwedged and managed to twist and turn my hose to back it out. Should have used my 1/4" hose and screwdriver nozzle. Problem was I thought the line went right into a 4" abs plastic pipemjust under the house. Turned out it didn't. It went behind the 4" and parelled the pipe with old 2" gal pipe and durham fittings. Got lucky and got my nozzle out alive.

Still miss my original rootranger that got buried alive 4 months ago. 1 day when they demo that house, someone will find a real prize.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
      " Tared and wrapped gas pipe " Is this what they used in the 1920s S.F. ?
      They used it as late as the 60's when steel pipe covered with extruded plastic (Xtrucoat) came on the market.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        the gas co does just a meter leak test. basically they mark the 1/2 cubic foot needle and wait a few minutes to see if it moves. all done with house pressure/ 7'' wc.

.......used my electronic manometer and it literally took seconds to see .01'' tick off the electronic meter.

tracked the leak down to a leaking left and right under the house that was made up wrong years ago during a remodel.

with the electronic manometer, It was simple to know a tight system form a leaker in a matter of seconds.

rick.
        What model of electric manometer are you using?

Comment

Design Technology, Inc., Home of the Tiny-Tach - Standard Model Manometer

I was buying a diesel tach and stumbled upon this manometer. Called up and spoke directly to the owner.sounded good and he even said if I don't like it, I can return it.

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Amway, wasn't that the first multi level pyramid marketing co? Not sure the last time ive seen them. Seems like it was in the 70s.

2 days ago I got my 3/8" jetter hose with forward rotor nozzle wedged in a 2" cleanout with a couple 45s in gal steel and durham fittings. Thought I was going to have to cut the pipe out under the house to rescue my prized nozzle. But I raided the kitchen sink and ran some soap down the drain, and filled my spray bottle. Several minutes later I was unwedged and managed to twist and turn my hose to back it out. Should have used my 1/4" hose and screwdriver nozzle. Problem was I thought the line went right into a 4" abs plastic pipemjust under the house. Turned out it didn't. It went behind the 4" and parelled the pipe with old 2" gal pipe and durham fittings. Got lucky and got my nozzle out alive.

Still miss my original rootranger that got buried alive 4 months ago. 1 day when they demo that house, someone will find a real prize.

Rick.
            Rick, sorry for my ignorance but what are "Durham" fittings??????????/

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
              Rick, sorry for my ignorance but what are "Durham" fittings??????????/
              Durham fittings are threaded cast iron drainage, waste, vent, (DWV)

Galvanized pipe was screwed into the durham fittings. Typical sizes were 1.5 and 2". Mostly used on sinks, tubs, showers, laundry. Good luck when trying to unscrew a brass plug on a threaded durham fitting from 40+ years ago.

Today about the only durham fittings avaliable are 22's, 45's, 60's, 90's and couplings. No more wyes or combys. Seems to have faded off with the introduction of no hub in the late 60's.

Rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Rick.
                Rick ,can You tell the story on the lost rootranger . Did You eat the loss , Or Bill for it ? Thanks Tool
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Just curious Rick, how often do you have that digital manometer calibrated? I use an oil filled dwyer manometer just because I had a dial manometer go south on me. I just trust it better. I dont have any problem using a digital, just curious how often you check its accuracy.

Comment

Its new and ive used it for leak detection. Dead on accuracy is not critical as its not used for setting regulators. Just a digital drop down test. Not even sure how to calibrate it.

Rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                    X