X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas testing under the u.p.c. And calif. Code

Well passed My 15 Lb. gas test yesterday. It wasen't EZ . I had tested My new work some time ago, held 15 Lbs 24 Hrs. , with out any re work.This was final , and as usual the 60 Year 1 " in the big garage overhead wouldn't hold ,so broke it down, wire brushed and Blue Magic dope did the trick.I'm guessing manafold test would of held on the old pipe! I like the 1 1/2 times gas pressure better in BOSTON My old Home. Will most inspectors accept 7 inches of water on Natural Gas in Ca. should I order a 10" water collumn og go larger if I ever run into L.P. Gas ? Thanks again for Your wisdom, Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Gas testing under the u.p.c. And calif. Code

the gas co does just a meter leak test. basically they mark the 1/2 cubic foot needle and wait a few minutes to see if it moves. all done with house pressure/ 7'' wc.

I had a leak to find a few months ago that the gas co. shut them down and removed the meter. I tested the underground from curb to house thinking it was the issue and it was 100% tight. tested from the 1.5'' seismic valve into the home and it leaked. used my electronic manometer and it literally took seconds to see .01'' tick off the electronic meter.

tracked the leak down to a leaking left and right under the house that was made up wrong years ago during a remodel.

with the electronic manometer, It was simple to know a tight system form a leaker in a matter of seconds.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

You guys have similar testing requirements to us. Mind you our Gas Companies don't test, they just hang the meter and leave the liability to us. Henceforth the problem is that there are many who have got absolutely no clue how to test let alone do the right job in the first place. Rick using a digital manometer may work with a small leak but the one I had recently I was busting my balls keeping enough air in the system long enough for me to get under the house to suds test. Cheated and ran the gas and ran the sniffer over the top and then homed in. BTW we are supposed to test standard line to 7kpa or twice the operating pressure, whichever is the greatest

Comment

Are there any reasonable priced sniffers out there? Thanks Tool
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Cleanman, I had a leak once that my buddy was having a difficult time with. Owner moved out and gas was shut to his 3rd. Floor condo unit. Gas co did their meter clock test as I had described and it failed. My buddy hooks up his co2, air bottle and can't get pressure. Calls me and I suggest to get his compressor from his shop. Tries that and barely gets his gage to read. I come there with my compresor too. Same result.

Now keep in mind this is a 5 year old condo and the only underground is approx 35' of 1.5" steel pipe. Prior owners had no record of a leak. I suggested we rent a towable 100cfm compressor to listen for the leak. Come back and hook up the 3/4" air hose. Gage upstaris barely reads 5 psi. Can't hear anything. No isolation valves to test the underground. Somi take a garden hose and start watering the outside planter between the meter and the where it enters the building underground. Sure enough the entire ground is bubbling with air.

Remember this is only 5 years old and ther are 11 mains for the other units. Dig down the 3' it was buried and discover the pipe was ordinary black pipe with 10 mil tape buried under the damp ground. Holes everywhere. Turns out all the lines were in the same conditiion.

How the city allowed them to install this pipe illegally amazed us.plumber was alkready out of business. But the general contractor was still around. He came out and shook his head. Paid all the bills for the gas lines replacments and landscaping, sprinkler repairs. Plus our original gas inspections. Bill for all the work, including the crane to remove and replant several palm trees was right around 20, 000. Contractor paid it all.

How it ever was approved amazed us. How all the lines never leaked or showed excessive use was probably because it was buried 3' deep in very compact damp soil. Gas pressure is only 7" of water column. The soil held it tiight enough together. There was not 1 line of the 11 we replaced that were leak free.

Most amazing gas mystery I've ever worked on.

That was 1999 and I'm still working in that complex. Remember the milkshake video with the ocean and palm trees in the background? That's the job.

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            Most reliable snifer is a spray bottle with soap and water. Cost about $3.00 and you refill it from the customers sink cabinet.

Rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Just received My Manifold pressure test kit Robar 10 " water . Yes I'm tool SICK !

Comment

I have TIF8800A which works well - cannot recall what I paid for it - I think around $200. However, as Rick has warned me joint compound can give off a false positive you need to be careful around threaded joints. I actually tested this by running the sniffer at the can opening and it did alarm although it should be pointed out that the concentration of compound is of course several orders of magnitude less in the actual joints.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  Cleanman, I had a leak once that my buddy was having a difficult time with. Owner moved out and gas was shut to his 3rd. Floor condo unit. Gas co did their meter clock test as I had described and it failed. My buddy hooks up his co2, air bottle and can't get pressure. Calls me and I suggest to get his compressor from his shop. Tries that and barely gets his gage to read. I come there with my compresor too. Same result.

Now keep in mind this is a 5 year old condo and the only underground is approx 35' of 1.5" steel pipe. Prior owners had no record of a leak. I suggested we rent a towable 100cfm compressor to listen for the leak. Come back and hook up the 3/4" air hose. Gage upstaris barely reads 5 psi. Can't hear anything. No isolation valves to test the underground. Somi take a garden hose and start watering the outside planter between the meter and the where it enters the building underground. Sure enough the entire ground is bubbling with air.

Remember this is only 5 years old and ther are 11 mains for the other units. Dig down the 3' it was buried and discover the pipe was ordinary black pipe with 10 mil tape buried under the damp ground. Holes everywhere. Turns out all the lines were in the same conditiion.

How the city allowed them to install this pipe illegally amazed us.plumber was alkready out of business. But the general contractor was still around. He came out and shook his head. Paid all the bills for the gas lines replacments and landscaping, sprinkler repairs. Plus our original gas inspections. Bill for all the work, including the crane to remove and replant several palm trees was right around 20, 000. Contractor paid it all.

How it ever was approved amazed us. How all the lines never leaked or showed excessive use was probably because it was buried 3' deep in very compact damp soil. Gas pressure is only 7" of water column. The soil held it tiight enough together. There was not 1 line of the 11 we replaced that were leak free.

That was 1999 and I'm still working in that complex. Remember the milkshake video with the ocean and palm trees in the background? That's the job.

Rick.
                  That is Both scary and amazing. I think the city held some liability. Do they ever ?

Comment

That is Both scary and amazing. I think the city held some liability. Do they ever ?
                    Only if the sucker blows up. Once the legal piranhas get involved, no entity is hold harmless.

In my area, a good number of homes built right after the war (think Eikler, Tool) had tarred and wrapped gas pipe under slab. Couple years ago HO calls a long established (1895) service plumber to inspect for a gas smell they were noticing. Plumber comes out and says its not a gas leak, it's the diaper hamper.
                    Soon after:
                    Gas leak caused Midtown explosion, house fire | News | Palo Alto Online |

When the dust settled, the plumbing co closed their doors and were sold.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                      Only if the sucker blows up. Once the legal piranhas get involved, no entity is hold harmless.

In my area, a good number of homes built right after the war (think Eikler, Tool) had tarred and wrapped gas pipe under slab. Couple years ago HO calls a long established (1895) service plumber to inspect for a gas smell they were noticing. Plumber comes out and says its not a gas leak, it's the diaper hamper.
                      Soon after:
                      Gas leak caused Midtown explosion, house fire | News | Palo Alto Online |

When the dust settled, the plumbing co closed their doors and were sold.
                      " Tared and wrapped gas pipe " Is this what they used in the 1920s S.F. ?

Comment

Most reliable snifer is a spray bottle with soap and water. Cost about $3.00 and you refill it from the customers sink cabinet.

Rick.
                        Sorry to trump you on this one Rick but the best one I ever had and still got is an "AMWAY" bottle. Suds, raid the little ladies sink when the colour looks like water again and the suds don't hold.

Comment

Rick.
                          Rick gotta say this is absolutely amazing. I cant for the life of me see how anyone could lower their standards to do such shoddy work. Guarantee if it happened down here the regulator would need to have a conference to discuss how to handle such. They wouldn't know what to do. This sort of thing should be take the license and NEVER give it back.

Comment

" Tared and wrapped gas pipe " Is this what they used in the 1920s S.F. ?
                            Gas Company here used to come out and wrap with DENSO tape and bag it after. Different locations and different parameters. Tar?????????????? that is way old wouldn't you say....!!

Comment

I'm Way old ! 70

Comment

Working...
                              X