Venting a basement utility sink sump pump

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venting a basement utility sink sump pump

Liberty and a few others make these sump type all in one pumps for pumping up and over to a stack from a basement utility type sink. So, the truth is I've never installed one. Looking for info for venting this unit. I would like to hear feedback on different codes for such venting. Can they be wet vented and tied into the existing stack or does the vent have to be tied in above the next floor level above all other first floor fixtures? Thanks. Just don't see it in our code book, might be there but got lazy looking. ;-)

Re: Venting a basement utility sink sump pump

Unless the tank can completely vent soap bubbles the pump will air lock, causing a flood. Most contractors here take the vent and candy-cane it back into the washtub. Bubbles then dump into the tub and then eventually get pumped out again. We arent allowed to wet vent this pump without a check valve, which then defeats the venting. We also can't vent it directly outside. An AAV also defeats the venting.

I had one guy use his for a 1st floor kitchen AND a basement wash tub. Don't unless you can vent through the roof. Open venting allows for very bad smell problems.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Interesting about the candy-cane vent. I'll look into that. Thanks!

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
      Unless the tank can completely vent soap bubbles the pump will air lock, causing a flood. Most contractors here take the vent and candy-cane it back into the washtub. Bubbles then dump into the tub and then eventually get pumped out again. We arent allowed to wet vent this pump without a check valve, which then defeats the venting. We also can't vent it directly outside. An AAV also defeats the venting.

I had one guy use his for a 1st floor kitchen AND a basement wash tub. Don't unless you can vent through the roof. Open venting allows for very bad smell problems.

Comment

Depends on your code. UPC requires it to be vented just like an indirect waste receptor as it does all sewage ejectors.

Comment

Working...
        X