X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-60 down and fixed

Never any fun when your equipment breaks on the job.

Old sewer, 150+ feet of root ball after root ball.
    Long pulls wearing me out and a bucket full of roots.

Last (hopefully) run at it with a reverse auger, break though and about
    to put on a bigger root saw and a racket erupts.

One of the jaws of the clutch breaks off as the rivet failed.

Got it re-riveted and put back together tonight.

Would have used the Electric Eel but only have 104'.
    More on the way hopefully delivered tomorrow.

This a common failure? (Ok Azz, let loose)

Re: K-60 down and fixed

Same thing happened to me awhile back. Now I keep an extra assembly on the truck. I learned my lesson after that.

Glad you made out ok.

Comment

Never had 1 break, but I've worn out a set that would no longer grip 5/8".

I do have a spare along with 4 more complete machines if need be.

You should be charging a fee for the machine. This fee should cover your wear and tear along with accessories. Hopefully a new machine when needed.

I started with a used k60 just to see if i would like a sectional. As you know, the rest is history.

My clutch outlast my drum auto feed and cost a whole lot less too. Plus takes just minutes to clean or replace 1.

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by fixitright View Post
        Never any fun when your equipment breaks on the job.

Old sewer, 150+ feet of root ball after root ball.
        Long pulls wearing me out and a bucket full of roots.

Last (hopefully) run at it with a reverse auger, break though and about
        to put on a bigger root saw and a racket erupts.

One of the jaws of the clutch breaks off as the rivet failed.

Got it re-riveted and put back together tonight.

Would have used the Electric Eel but only have 104'.
        More on the way hopefully delivered tomorrow.

This a common failure? (Ok Azz, let loose)

All you have to do is thread through the K-Silly forum to see all the problems people are having.

You're learning

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

You should be charging a fee for the machine. This fee should cover your wear and tear along with accessories. Hopefully a new machine when needed.

I started with a used k60 just to see if i would like a sectional. As you know, the rest is history.

My clutch outlast my drum auto feed and cost a whole lot less too. Plus takes just minutes to clean or replace 1.

Rick.

You destroyed the whole auto feed ? Which type & machine was this on ?

Comment

My 7500 drum machine was not destroyed. Wore out the feed bearings that grip the cable. Also wore out the distributor arm. And lastly, my sectional cables lasts longer than my drum cables.

In the 6 or so years with my k60. Ive replaced1 clutch and 2 sets of shaft bearings. Keep in mind my machine was a used rental machine. Not bad for a machine I've used over 1000 times. Add in all the rental use and its amazing the machine is still running.

Rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Rick.
              Can You suggest an approximate fee amount for a K 60 and also a fee for a 300 power drive threader ? Thanks in advance Kevin
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

My 7500 drum machine was not destroyed. Wore out the feed bearings that grip the cable. Also wore out the distributor arm. And lastly, my sectional cables lasts longer than my drum cables.

In the 6 or so years with my k60. Ive replaced1 clutch and 2 sets of shaft bearings. Keep in mind my machine was a used rental machine. Not bad for a machine I've used over 1000 times. Add in all the rental use and its amazing the machine is still running.

Rick.

Most people are not having the same luck as you.

I'm just sayin'.................

Comment

Rick.

"My clutch outlast my drum auto feed and cost a whole lot less too"

Those must have been some pricey bearings ? I get mine off eBay for a few bucks a piece and they last around 2 years. Well worth the price of not having to manually push in & pull out the cable.

Comment

Bought a new k-60 in Jan,2013 at nearly 100 successful jobs no repairs as of yet,paid around $1600 if I remember that comes to $16,per use,,,,,worth it not to have to haul heavy Mytana up and down stairs!!

Comment

Finished up a 150' root ball infested sewer this morning.
                      The downfall of the K-60 is pulling back by hand those long pulls.

This one the home owner re-plumed the house and the stack would move as I
                      put my back into the pulls.

Another 64' of Electric Eel cable and some other goodies showed up at my door.
                      Hopefully -- I NEVER HAVE TO PULL BACK ANOTHER LONG RUN WITH THE K-60.

Will still use it for the little jobs. It has it's place.

Comment

In my opinion pulling back giant root balls is far easier than wrestling a heavy and bulky machine up several staircases,basements,and sometimes long hauls in the field.

Comment

Originally posted by fixitright View Post
                          Finished up a 150' root ball infested sewer this morning.
                          The downfall of the K-60 is pulling back by hand those long pulls.

This one the home owner re-plumed the house and the stack would move as I
                          put my back into the pulls.

Another 64' of Electric Eel cable and some other goodies showed up at my door.
                          Hopefully -- I NEVER HAVE TO PULL BACK ANOTHER LONG RUN WITH THE K-60.

Will still use it for the little jobs. It has it's place.

Are you running the machine when you pull back?
                          Roots beware of the C snake with shark teeth.

Comment

Sometimes yes sometimes no. Depends on the blockage and tight turns I guess. Either way I don't consider it nearly as bad as hauling heavy machinery around.

Comment

Originally posted by kol 15 View Post
                              Are you running the machine when you pull back?

That's a tricky question.

When the cable is loaded up with roots your pulling with both arms to get it home.
                              If it won't come back because it's loaded up with roots you run the machine to shake some off.
                              When you run the machine you shake off some of the roots that just fall back to the next root ball
                              and it gets really exciting the next time you run it back in for more.

I try to get as much out each pull as I can.

I get some nasty ones here with multiple root balls and tight turns with fun offsets
                              and any time your over 100' just makes it sweeter.
                              Last edited by fixitright; 10-15-2013, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X