X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking prtessure on my pressure washer

Just replaced pump with new cat 3000 psi 2.5 Gal a minute. I have an in line Pressure guage. I was only getting
    1000 psi , so I adjusted the pressure up . I was surprised it read 4500 PSI , This is with a full port valve closing off all water flow, after pump. Is this how You check Pump capacity ? Thanks Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Checking prtessure on my pressure washer

4500# tells me you over adjusted your unloader. you need to make sure that you dial down the pressure and install a #4 spray nozzle to start with. an ultra high pressure ball valve or needle valve can be used to substitute for the nozzle. bring the motor up to speed and slowly close the valve to allow pressure to build. don't exceed 3000# and adjust your unloader to bypass after the 3000#. measure the gpm and see what your results are. also a wise idea to have a pressure relief valve on the head of the pump. surprised 4500# didn't blow the head.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Wow, You sure have an education on Hydraulics , Also ! Thanks Tool
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Does higher pressure rob Gal. per minute ? Jetter didn't work well at that 4500 psi ?

Comment

Does higher pressure rob Gal. per minute ?
          Higher pressure lower flow. Higher flow lower pressure. Pretty much true for any type of pump.
          Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

your pump has a certain displacement based on the rpm its rated for. 2.5 gpm is relatively low. a small engine can easily pump the water. but as the pressure goes up, the engine will strain and rpm will drop. as the rpm drops, so will the gpm.

so to maintain your 2.5 gpm at 3000#, your engine running full blast is struggling with 6.5hp. drop the pressure to 2700# and the engine should keep up.

problem with 4500# on a 3000# rated pump is that your putting too much strain on the pumps internals. plus unless your engine is larger, the rpms will drop off and lower the gpm.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I ordered My Cat Pump from pressure washers direct. one of their Techs. spent time answering all my questions. I was very happily surprised at all the xtra hardware I received with the pump.
              I highley recomend this company for best price and service . Thanks tool

Comment

Question Guys . Pressure washer has 6 1/2 HP Honda engine. New cat pump , 3000 psi at 2 1/2 gal per minute. Jetter was much better before,It's Week now. will jetter be better if I decrease the
                pressure ? Thanks

Comment

As long as you didn't do damage at 4500#, it should be fine.

You can't get both pressure and flow with the hp you have.

Drop the pressure to 3000# and it will bring up the volume to 2.5gpm.

Should be much better.

Rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                  X