Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• difference between viper and avalanche?

both are 3". is it just style, or is one better? The Gerber site leaves much to be desired.

Thx.

Re: difference between viper and avalanche?

Avalanche is 3", Viper is 2". I like the avalanche because it has a bigger footprint. Those 2 are my favorite toilets to install and use.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

thx. so is the avalanche flush any better than the viper?

Comment

It does flush better. Used to recommend them before I bought them for our own house. My son used to clog up our mansfield with every #2. As an experiment I put the viper in his bathroom and it's been 2 years with not a single clog. Took the kohler cimmaron out of my bathroom and installed the avalanche. Works great and no issues. The flapper in the viper appears to be a standard flapper and the flapper in the viper is the 3". Go to youtube and you can see videos of people flushing them.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Where are yall getting these Gerbers? Local suppliers or online? I've worked in two different states and have never installed one and have only seen a few on commercial with flush valves.
          Will Rogers Plumbing
          Moore, Oklahoma
          (
          405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
          http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Winnelson, here (Fort Worth). Call Gerber to find distributor. Their website is very elementary. 866 538 5536. i have only installed avalanche but interesting to hear that viper as good as the avalanche.

the reason i said, earlier, that the viper is 3" is because their very elementary website says it's 3".

i thought the avalanche flushed good enough to rival kohler and perhaps
            Toto. i prefer Gerber to Kohler because Gerber uses solid brass tank to bowl bolts and has a traditional tank to bowl design and a traditional flush valve. toto and gerber may be the only ones left using solid brass.

the last three or four kohler drylocks installed, the tank leans dramatically forward. strange. dont like the drylock. as a matter of fact, i would say the toto, with three point china to china contact, is more leak proof, for longer, than the kohler. kohler has way too many parts--i now keep about 7 or 8 different kohler flush cannisters--that's too many.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
              Where are yall getting these Gerbers? Local suppliers or online? I've worked in two different states and have never installed one and have only seen a few on commercial with flush valves.
              Local supplier. I hear they just brought their production back from mexico into the US so supply was real shady over hear for about 3 months. However it looks like things picked up.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Buyfield (and anyone else) what Toto do you prefer?
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I just put in a American Standard Cadet 3 Pro. Very nice toilet. 3 point china, brass shank on fill valve, ss tank to bowl bolts, very vice. Reasonable price too
                  Will Rogers Plumbing
                  Moore, Oklahoma
                  (
                  405) 323-2852

Comment

Good point, i do have to auger the 2" flushvalve toto, which is called Carusoe, something like that. The Drake/ecodrake/drake II are great. Drake is 1.6. EcoDrake looks identical, but is 1.28. Drake II is latest, greatest; 1.28. Drake and Ecodrake have rim holes, like everybody else. Drake II has no rim holes, but instead two huge openings on side of bowl. called double cyclone. Better bowl rinse, and in my opinion, a bit quieter, smoother flush. i have a drake and a drake II and both are amazing. Drake II is my favorite.

before i installed the DRake ii, i set it up on buckets in backyard, and grabbed the kids. rare opportunity. we flushed golf balls, and wads of paper towels.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                      The flapper in the viper appears to be a standard flapper and the flapper in the viper is the 3". Go to youtube and you can see videos of people flushing them.

Is this what you meant? ----> and the flapper in the Avalanche is the 3"
                      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Forgot to mention....both the avalanche and gerber have a big wet area and great bowl wash. no streaks
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

ONLY VIPER production is moving back to states.

The Avalanche is the #1 consumer reports flusher. Toto Drake is #2. Gerber Viper is #3.

Ferguson does not carry Gerber. Gerber has been a local supply house brand for decades. I really Really REALLY do not like American Standard. Only found at HD here.

Comment

Cadet PRO Right Height Elongated Toilet from American Standard - 6.0 Lpf/1.6gpf

Here is the American Standard I installed. Has a Pro45B Fillvalve, brass trip lever, and 3" Fluidmaster flushvalve and flapper.
                            Will Rogers Plumbing
                            Moore, Oklahoma
                            (
                            405) 323-2852

Comment

hmmm. interesting that consumer report finally, after preferring the champion all these years, discovered Drake. they're strange--they only apparently rate consumer grade products, so the professional grade stuff often isn't even listed.

i use gerber avalanche in rentals because more affordable. trick with recommending them to customer is they can't look at them ahead of time, and truth be told, they probably look "builders grade," where Toto is probably a little classier. toto parts easy to get on line; Gerber parts, last time i checked, can't find. no biggie, probably. i am going to try a toto flapper on one, when the time comes. also will try a toto flushvalve on one, when the time comes. Toto's flushvalve and flapper are very heavy duty. Gerber's, probably not.

Comment

Working...
                              X