X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick Your Minds

Hi Guys, I am working on a research paper for school. Its about making a tractor camera for lateral sewer systems. One part of this research paper is to either do a interview with some people in the industry, or a survey.

So here is my attempt at a survey.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Re: Pick Your Minds
    1. Would you be interested in a robotic sewer camera crawler that can enter a 4" sewer and navigate multiple turns and travel into larger pipes?
    2. Is there any special options you think should be added to the design, or ability to add in the future? For example electronic scanning of the pipe? Maybe X-ray of pipe?
    3. Would you prefer a mobile controller built into the monitor? or would you prefer a truck mounted system for remote viewing?
    4. If you have any thing else you would like to add, please feel free.
    5. Would the option of a wired controller and a wireless controller be a good idea? Just in case there is interference with the wireless interfaces?
    Thank you,
    Last edited by SewerRatz; 11-13-2013, 06:36 PM.

Comment

1. Would you be interested in a robotic sewer camera crawler that can enter a 4" sewer and navigate multiple turns and travel into larger pipes?
      Yes

1. Is there any special options you think should be added to the design, or ability to add in the future? For example electronic scanning of the pipe? Maybe X-ray of pipe?
      Pan and tilt of the camera head

1. Would you prefer a mobile controller built into the monitor? or would you prefer a truck mounted system for remote viewing?
      Mobile controller with record to memory card and or realtime bluetooth streaming to other devices.

1. If you have any thing else you would like to add, please feel free.
      Allow the unit to freewheel so I could attach it to a sewer cable or jetter if needed.

Thank you,

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
        2. Is there any special options you think should be added to the design, or ability to add in the future? For example electronic scanning of the pipe? Maybe X-ray of pipe?
        3. Would you prefer a mobile controller built into the monitor? or would you prefer a truck mounted system for remote viewing?
        Thank you,
        1) Yes
        2) Hmmm..... Dreaming. Maybe for it to just be Bluetooth, WiFi, whatever shooting the signal straight to a receiver. No pushrod or video/audio cable attached. Only a small stainless cable for an emergency tether pull.
        Head can move around & focus.
        Maybe an option to have a jetter or cleaner attachment somehow. Might need to wash a spot & video all at once. Would save a lot of time.
        Sonde.
        X ray of pipe? I don't know. Maybe. Seems I recall reading about something like that available for oil pipelines.
        3) Yes to mobile controller.
        4) Don't laugh, maybe a laser pointer to point right at what your narrating to the lamen. Many even get lost with descriptions of "at 10 o'clock there are roots...."

Comment

1. Need to start in 3" pipe and then up. A fair number of 3" cleanouts around here.
          2. A camera head that can look forward, backward, left, right and up. A small tank of water with a wiper.
          3. Mobile would be more useful. A lot of mine would be done inside.
          4. To be able to add "arms". Like a small spinning cutter or water gun for fine tune cleaning/inspecting.
          Roots beware of the C snake with shark teeth.

Comment

When is this going to be ready to order?

Comment

Originally posted by kol 15 View Post
              When is this going to be ready to order?
              When I do my research paper I will post a copy here. This is for my Composition 1 class, which I am basing this on a final project I want to build for my Capstone project in a year and a half. Or at least a prototype that will get me an A+

Comment

5. Would the option of a wired controller and a wireless controller be a good idea? Just in case there is interference with the wireless interfaces?

Comment

5. yes I think that would be necessary. Better selling option.

Comment

And as you know, it can't be breaking in the field. Got to be built tough. All the electronicy stuff needs to be tough as well. Humidity, expansion, contraction, shock, etc.

Just a reminder.

Comment

Please feel to reply even if you have the same thoughts as posted by others. The more replies the better.

BobsPlumbing, you brought up very good facts that I should include in the research paper. Thank you.

Comment

Ron, I have some contacts at ridgid. I can hook you up with them when you have a good working prototype

Not sure how you're going to get a motorized tractor into a 4" line with turns, but thats why you're in school and I''m the one that's going to buy it when you're finish.

Now get it done and I'll hook you up

Ill be the sharktank too when you're ready.

Rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Thank you,
                          1- Yes. Must be able to navigate 4" cast iron traps.

2- Some attachment function at the front that can push, grab or pull.

3- Mobile unit, with HD retriever cable

4- Ability to turn head and/or have unit crawl vertical pipes. An expanding/contracting track system (I picture 4 crawlers on some sort of independent spring suspension system. A locator signal. Lens cleaner. Affordability. Removable memory system. Optional FLIR viewing.
                          ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Mount this baby on a crawler and I think you'll be in business.
                            "Stoked" CEO sets the tone at GoPro offices - 60 Minutes Overtime - CBS News

Comment

4 inch crawler that would be awesome.

It must be able to retrieve things in pipes. I'm already working on the retrievel tools for the camera.

Comment

Working...
                              X