X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slab leak repair

Kudos to American Leak Detection for putting me right on top of this under slab leak.
    Was able to effect repair through 5-inch hole cored into floor.
    Pin hole leak on bottom of 1/2" copper can be seen reflected in mirror.Click image for larger version

Name:	d30e2e793f2ccf1a06853b010083e600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	17967Click image for larger version

Name:	1123a09c7f4d8f86e6d46ee60e8e7416.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	17968

Re: Slab leak repair

That is awesome,was it hydronic heating or plumbing? Did you solder it or shark bite it? Propress?

Comment

It is a cold water supply to kitchen ran in the same ditch as the 2" waste line.
      Soldered couplings were used in repair.

Comment

Traditional solder or silver solder?

David

Comment

That is really accurate. Nice work.

Comment

Originally posted by Dhal22 View Post
            Traditional solder or silver solder?
            Regular ol' 95/5.
            Does this mean I'm gonna get spanked?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
              Regular ol' 95/5.
              Yes Even a dumb Carpenter I know ,uses silver solder under ground. chances are they're more pin holes to come on this home !
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Tool, while that is true based on our code, in all honesty a soldered joint doesn't know the difference between being underground outside the house or underground inside the house.

Code might say no soft soldered joints within the structure underslab. But a properly soldered joint will not leak or pull apart no matter where it's located.

Propress and sharkbite are approved for underground installations. But not underslab within a structure either.

The bigger issue is what caused the pinhole and is it isolated or just the start of what's to come. Could have been contact with something in the soil. Residual flux that never washed out. That's why the water soluble flux has been required since the mid 90s.

A 5" sample might not be enough to see whats going on with the pipe, but I doubt anything will happen to his properly soldered joint.

Rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for your support.

Comment

No spanking. I agree with Rick's summary.

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
                    Regular ol' 95/5.

Comment

Pinholes could cause by many variables. PH of the soil, pH and Chlorine residual of the water in the service and last but not least a hot service. Another scenario is if the service is in proximity to buried electric. That is more common on the street side of the service and not the home owner side, what happens is stray current from electrostatic transmission cables finds it way to the service and blows it apart. I work for the water district and we had an issue when we first started chlorinating, pinhole services leaks were popping up at the rate of 3-5 a day.

Comment

Originally posted by BlazinSS934 View Post
                        Pinholes could cause by many variables. PH of the soil, pH and Chlorine residual of the water in the service and last but not least a hot service. Another scenario is if the service is in proximity to buried electric. That is more common on the street side of the service and not the home owner side, what happens is stray current from electrostatic transmission cables finds it way to the service and blows it apart. I work for the water district and we had an issue when we first started chlorinating, pinhole services leaks were popping up at the rate of 3-5 a day.
                        Welcome aboard Blazin. You bring a lot to this table, Tool
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Rick, another interesting piece of information. We have had absolutely NO prohibition on use of Viega and similar. What I find even more interesting is that American Leak was right on the money. God damn if we get within 6mtrs down here we are made to feel grateful. Yeah I know that it is not an exact science as such but......................!!!!!!!!
                          Is 95/5 similar to what we call 50/50 or 60/40 solder??????????????/

Comment

The leak detectors I use guarantee location within one foot or they relocate for free.
                            Solder is 95% tin and 5% antimony.

Comment

How bout "cavitation" as a result of not reaming the original copper pipe?

Dave Doyle

Comment

Working...
                              X