low water volume

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• low water volume

We plumbed a new construction house this summer. With a PITA homeowner build. As of this week he is complaining that his Delta 1700 in his kids bath has lower volume then the other main bath Delta 1700. We have flushed the line and replaced the cartridge. I personally think the volume is more then adequate but he isnt buying the "that's just the way it is" any tips or ideas on either. Giving him a good explanation on why "that's just the way it is". Or has anyone ever tried souping up one if those new delta 1700 cartridges? I was thinking of tearing into one and boring out the holes a little? Both baths are on the 3rd floor. One just has a little more volume than the other.
    Thanks
    Mike
    Clark County Plumbing And Drain
    www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Re: low water volume

Can you safely remove the cartridge and run a flow test. I posred a tool I bought a couple years ago that allows me to do a flush test without the cartridge and fits 6 fifferent valves.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

How does that work Rick?
      Mike

Comment

Did you supply the valve? If not, tell the HO to pound sand. If so, drag your local Delta rep to the house and have him pass judgement. It's within his job description to help. If he balks, tell him you'll bad mouth him on all the plumbing forums.

Comment

Well, I'll ask the dumb or obvious questions-

Did you remove the showerhead? You don't say that you did. Only that you "flushed the line and replaced the cartridge".

Did you try swapping the showerheads? That could tell you if the showerhead is the problem right there. Bam, done for troubleshooting.

Are the valves plumbed reasonably the same?

You can test volume in a bucket with a watch. Pressure can be different than volume though.

I would work towards the showerhead as opposed to the valve. May be able to improve performance even if you have lower volume & performance over the other one on the same floor.

All else fails, tell him the other shower has too much pressure.

Comment

Its the volume coming out of the tub spout he is not happy with. And the only reason he is not happy is because it is different than the other one. And yes we did supply the valves. That's a good point about bringing the rep in, maybe the homeowner qwill be ok with what he has to say. The bathrooms are plumbed identical and its only on the hotside that the volume drops off.

This guy is a pain too, while we were doing the rough in he text me twice after midnight to ask me questions.
            Mike

Comment

Look at the distance of the adapter and the length of the stub the spout is connected too on both of them.

The same?

Comment

I don't think I'm following you Bob?
                Mike

Comment

Originally posted by haycad View Post
                  I don't think I'm following you Bob?
                  I was thinking the tub spout rough might be affecting performance. So you could take the tub spouts off and make sure they have the exact same rough-in. Pipes are the same length, any adapters in the same position, etc.

Re-reading your posts, I don't think this will solve anything, but it is pretty easy to check.

Comment

Are the scald guards in the same position on both faucets? Integral stops not open all the way maybe?....
                    Dogs and cats living together...mass hysteria!

Comment

Tub spout stub outs are the same and because it was the kids bath we had the scald guards a little lower we adjusted it up. Still didnt help no intergral stops on these ones. I read that they make a 1700 t which has more water flow but they are for shower only.
                      Mike

Comment

Is one bathroom closer to the water heater than the other?

I would take the spouts off and put a pressure gauge on the outlet of both and compare. Should be easy to do whether you used the slip on or threaded connection. Visual comparison is sometimes deceptive.
                        Side note: I am NOT a fan of the newer Delta spouts. The plastic is very thin and brittle.

Comment

Originally posted by haycad View Post
                          We plumbed a new construction house this summer. With a PITA homeowner build. As of this week he is complaining that his Delta 1700 in his kids bath has lower volume then the other main bath Delta 1700. We have flushed the line and replaced the cartridge. I personally think the volume is more then adequate but he isnt buying the "that's just the way it is" any tips or ideas on either. Giving him a good explanation on why "that's just the way it is". Or has anyone ever tried souping up one if those new delta 1700 cartridges? I was thinking of tearing into one and boring out the holes a little? Both baths are on the 3rd floor. One just has a little more volume than the other.
                          Thanks
                          Yep,

I've tried that at my son's condo. I ruined three perfectly good Delta 1700 cartridges by drilling the holes out in the balancing piston. After drilling the holes to a slightly larger diameter I measured the water flow and it remained unchanged. (4.95 gallons per minute) I drilled them larger and the piston housing buckled so the piston would not float freely.

This happened 3 times. (I can be stubborn and optimistic simultaneously) Anyway... I believe the porting in the rough-in valve (besides the balancing piston) limits flow.

I would measure how long it takes to fill a five gallon bucket on both tubs to quantify the difference as a place to start. Also, is it possible that there's a globe type valve in the hot water line somewhere that expands when it gets hot thus reducing water flow? If so, that could also reduce cold water flow in the tub.

Is the afflicted tub further away from the water service / meter? Perhaps it's friction loss. Etc.
                          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

The valve in question is actually the closest to the heater and water main. The double lavs have no volume drop. His wife is completely ok with it, its just something that erks him. And I think it is perfectly fine too but it definitely has less volume then the other, I do not have any clause in my contracts about water volume. Maybe I should though. I don't like having un happy customers, or if I could even give him a good reason id be happier
                            Mike

Comment

How about swapping it for a Moen ?
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                              X