Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wc fill valves running on

Hi Guys
    A customer has an unusual problem, 3 wc's, one on the main floor, two on the second floor, the fill valves will suddenly 'run on', the wc's are all the same Toto model, the house is around five year's old, the water lines are Pex.
    I've been doing this plumbing lark for forty years and have not seen this before.
    The only thing I can think of is that there is a washing machine on the second floor, when it is filling the pressure in the lines drops,then slams shut and sends a shock wave/ re pressurize's the lines making the fill valves dribble.
    Does this sound feasible? or am I barking up the wrong tree?
    If it is the case I am thinking of a expansion vessel/ buffer tank.
    Any advise is appreciated.( keep it clean)

Re: Wc fill valves running on

if they all do it then something external to the johnnies is causing the problem. water hammer or pressure pulse is commonly found. if the reducing valve is found to be in operational order then an expansion tank as would be installed on a hot water tank might help.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

5 year old toto ballcocks are your problem. Toto/ hunter ballcocks are garbage and they know it. That's why they've made design changes several times over the years.

Swap over to the fluidmaster universal fill ballcock and your problems will be solved.

I've given up on trying to rebuild the toto. Have had several occasions where the toto caused a harmonic rhythm and caused a 3" water main to shake and move everytime the ballcock would mysteriously run and cycle.

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        5 year old toto ballcocks are your problem. Toto/ hunter ballcocks are garbage and they know it. That's why they've made design changes several times over the years.

Swap over to the fluidmaster universal fill ballcock and your problems will be solved.

I've given up on trying to rebuild the toto. Have had several occasions where the toto caused a harmonic rhythm and caused a 3" water main to shake and move everytime the ballcock would mysteriously run and cycle.

Rick.
        Rick that Mystery toto had a hunter fill set. I just installed a new Drake.
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Does the overflow tube on these toilets only measure 4 3/4" High , and is the fill valve Hunter ? Tanks Tool
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
          X