• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water service from hell, super freeze saves the day

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I had a whole story typed out but it got erased some how GRR!

I had a spaghetti service today that was leaking and needed to be replaced. Found numerous pinholes in a 3/4" section of the service. Crimped it no good crimped further back, it held so I busted out the super freeze. Saved us from a 8 valve shut down and putting 200 homes without water. I had to offset the new copper so I could bring a curb stop to grade away from the curb line. Kept finding pinholes, looks like Swiss cheese. This was 80' away from where it was tapped on a state road. The service continues 135' till the meter pit. Oh did I mention this was mostly dug by hand because of the gas main and two services. Over it went ok I guess 5-1/2 hrs of OT and a cold dinner haha

Re: Water service from hell, super freeze saves the day

Originally posted by BlazinSS934 View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I had a whole story typed out but it got erased some how GRR!

I had a spaghetti service today that was leaking and needed to be replaced. Found numerous pinholes in a 3/4" section of the service. Crimped it no good crimped further back, it held so I busted out the super freeze. Saved us from a 8 valve shut down and putting 200 homes without water. I had to offset the new copper so I could bring a curb stop to grade away from the curb line. Kept finding pinholes, looks like Swiss cheese. This was 80' away from where it was tapped on a state road. The service continues 135' till the meter pit. Oh did I mention this was mostly dug by hand because of the gas main and two services. Over it went ok I guess 5-1/2 hrs of OT and a cold dinner haha
    Must be the soil, Right ? Save these pictures and do a mailer in the area for future work ! They will save Your refrig. Magnet ! Those pix will put the fear of God in them !
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Great use of the superfreeze. Im sure the 200 other homes are greatful for having water before the holiday.

I once used a bolt cutter to crimp off a 3/4" copper line and it held great. Was able to freeze the line and replace the crimped section. Worked like a charm too.

Welcome to the forum, but I see you've been around for 4 years. Keep on posting the stories.

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Hope you guys had a good turkey day. Rick I have been registered for 4 years, I worked in the hvac trade before getting hired at the water district. Unfortunately for me I don't make money from these headaches I post lol. I did manage to not get called out on thanksgiving but I went in this morning for a quick 4hr hit of overtime. Had a high limit alarm on a brine tank go off in one of our ion exchange plants. Easy fix, pumped it out with a 2" trash pump replaced the sensor and refilled. Took longer to fill out my paper work.

Comment

Too bad you didn't have a suck truck on that job to make life easier. Our city water dept would have called the Vactor crew in to hydro vac the excavation before they would hand dig if they could not use the back hoe.

It's amazing what the Alkaline soils do to copper and cement pipes.

I don't know if our city water department freezes lines to fix services, usually they turn the main valves off or down and drop off a tanker trailer on the street as required for customers to use.

I know from experience that when it's -40 and Christmas Day bringing in buckets of water its not fun. Makes me appreciate what "grampa Hydro" went through back on the Farm when they had to bring in water from the well in the winter after using the hand pump.

Comment

Blazin,

Nice bends on the copper! Almost looks like you used a bender.
            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Geno

I did use the bender haha. I usually keep a double 90 and a double 45 like you see in that picture already made up on my truck with long tails so I can cut them to size in the hole.

As for using the guzzler/vaccuum truck, we are a separate entity from dept of public works. I work for a municipal water district. We only call the town or county when we have a main break and need the road salted. In this case we didn't want to dig up a main road to fix the leak that's why we did the crimp freeze and cut method. Normally when we replace a service we have to dig to the main anyway so we shut the service off at the corp stop.

Comment

Working...
              X