X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the heck is this supposed to be?

Snapped this in a nearby Costco a few months back and been meaning to post here for your enjoyment.
    This was in the frozen food section. That's a tall freezer display case behind the pipe.
    The copper is a condensate drain IIRC.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bf241cb44454fa2060f15861bbbc82f6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	414.5 KB
ID:	18002
    Last edited by Bob D.; 11-30-2013, 07:22 AM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: What the heck is this supposed to be?

It's a air gap for a drain
    Looks like they stuck the pipe in to far defeating the intended purpose

Comment

Condensate drain into an airgap. They do the same out here at costco too.

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I'll bet it's trap is drained by vacuum.
        Support - AcornVac

Comment

Come on now, I know what it is supposed to be.
          I'm talking about how its piped.

To me it looks like a no-hub clamp used on a 45 service ell. Shouldn't this be a mission adapter.
          Using a no-hub clamp like this would not fly here.
          Is that the correct way to use that air gap fitting. Looks more like an air gap for a RPZ.
          What's under that strainer to the left? Is that supposed to be a vent?

Never piped one like this when I was working, just looks like crap to me.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          ---------
          ---------

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post

To me it looks like a no-hub clamp used on a 45 service ell. Shouldn't this be a mission adapter.
            Is that the correct way to use that air gap fitting. Looks more like an air gap for a RPZ.

Well, for here, there are some bands that look like typical no-hub bands that have stickers on them "approved" for direct connection from plastic to CI or plastic to plastic. I've had some confusion myself. One was approved, then it wasn't approved etc. etc.

It is a strange looking setup though. I mean, probably most of us think of the pipe at the right as the vent.

Then the copper is extended too far. But many have probably seen this as well if they are getting a splashing complaint and they extend it to help that. But on a condensate freezer line??????

And what's the "drain" to the left for? Gonna' go dry if it's a trap there.

Might be some sort of vacuum thing like Plumbus mentions. I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post

Bob. that appears to be a mission brand coupling. The orange on the label is the "tell" for me.
              Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                Bob. that appears to be a mission brand coupling. The orange on the label is the "tell" for me.
                Looks like a predominantly white sticker with a red marking. Along with the typical no-hub band with the grooves in it. Not smooth.

Comment

Looks like a standard no hub band. Out here standard no hub bands are legal up to 2.5" pipe size. Meaning 1.5" and 2" are fine. Don't think any 2.5" dwv plastic pipe and fittings or bands exist.

Rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

I don't know about bands but the pipe and fittings can be ordered in pvc. We have done some apartments that were specced that way

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    Looks like a standard no hub band. Out here standard no hub bands are legal up to 2.5" pipe size. Meaning 1.5" and 2" are fine. Don't think any 2.5" dwv plastic pipe and fittings or bands exist.

Rick.
                    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

[QUOTE=Bob D.;408977]Come on now, I know what it is supposed to be.

Lol
                      The drain with the strainer on it is probably a second opening above the trap
                      Like a back up for a air gap failure
                      With the height of the drain I would say it overkill

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
                        Looks like a predominantly white sticker with a red marking. Along with the typical no-hub band with the grooves in it. Not smooth.
                        Those are this reasons I wasquestioning it too.
                        ---------------
                        ---------------
                        ---------
                        ---------

Comment

What do I know But I vote Pro Flex. Is that PVC to the right a vent ? Not sleeved in concrete ? Some Dumb carpenter Musta done It ! Jees !
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                          X