Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I came across this 2 1/2 years ago at a motel in BFW(the tool that is). Curious, I asked the maintenance man what he intended to do with it. Nothing he replied you can have it. I gave him a couple bills anyway.
    I'll put it to use this week.
    Attached Files

Re: 141

What is it? Pipe die? Nice find for a few bucks.

As an electrician, all I notice is the shoddy wiring.

Comment

Originally posted by johncameron View Post
      What is it? Pipe die? Nice find for a few bucks.

As an electrician, all I notice is the shoddy wiring.
      It's for threading 2.5" through 4" pipe. New they are north of $2,500.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        It's for threading 2.5" through 4" pipe. New they are north of $2,500.

Mark
        So the 4" pipe acts as a sleeve to guide the weight while you thread the 2.5" pipe?

I do my share of threading pipe, but only 10' sticks of conduit on the ground.

Comment

It's a geared threader. The pipe is usually in a vise and you use something like a 300 with a drive shaft to power the threader. Some will also use a hand threader with an adapter but that is a bunch of work.

Mark

Comment

To run the 141 with a 700 you need a head that has a socket that fits over the lug in the threader (instead of the standard 12R head), using it is a bit of a work out. I used to have a drive shaft for the 300. For the life of me, I don't know where it is. I still have a soil puller for ty seal though.

Comment

Thanks for explaining. Wow, I wouldn't dream of hand threading anything that big.

Comment

takes a little more than 62 seconds to thread the big stuff.

not sure if there is enough time in the day to make it a roundup event.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I had my 141 rebuilt to better than brand new and then only cut a dozen or so 4" threads with it. Now I have a 141, a new drive bar and my stands but I cannot find my drive shaft. It's an odd enough duck I doubt an employee walked off with it.

Mark

Comment

Cut a thread with it on some 3". I thought it turned out great.
                    Attached Files

Comment

That was a sweet deal. I lost ours when I loaned it out.

Comment

Originally posted by johncameron View Post
                        So the 4" pipe acts as a sleeve to guide the weight while you thread the 2.5" pipe?

I do my share of threading pipe, but only 10' sticks of conduit on the ground.
                        Guess you never threaded any ridgid conduit larger than 2" then.

Its for pipe sizes 2-1/2" up to 4".
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                          It's a geared threader. The pipe is usually in a vise and you use something like a 300 with a drive shaft to power the threader. Some will also use a hand threader with an adapter but that is a bunch of work.

Mark
                          make sure you have that 300 and your pipe vise anchored down and be using a dead mans switch/foot pedal. I've watched more than one set up twist and turn itself to death when it bound up and the idiot put a brick on the foot pedal 'cause he thought he had something that was more important that couldn't wait.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I don't have much to work with on this one. The second photo is the bathroom above. Supplies are in the wall, if exposed , I still wouldn't have enough room to spin a wrench.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X