X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prier 1//4 Turn Frost Free Failures

Background: New construction (I Plumbed the house), Customer has been in the house less then six months.

Customer called and said that every frost free faucet on the house is frozen and has an icicle hanging out of it... I go out to the customers house and sure enough every frost free faucet is frozen tighter then a drum.

Call Supply house who calls Prier, I immediately get a call from Prier who requests pictures and some background. To make a long story short I was asked to look and see if I had installed the First generation faucets (no diamond on the right side), The second generation faucets (with the Diamond) have been re engineered and have better quality control. I installed the First Generation Faucets...

What I think is happening: Twice in the last year I have received calls from other customers that their 1/4 turn Prier faucet has turned on by itself (the prier rep acknowledged this problem due to water pressure fluctuation pushing the valve open). This being a rural install the customer is on a PRV set to 50-55# but their pressure can drop as low as 20# during the day then run up at night.

Water pressure fluctuation causing valves to open then moisture is freezing inside faucets to failure.

I have 6 of these to change out.... Per the Rep, Prier will gladly provide replacement faucets with full turn faucets and will throw in some extras to cover the cost of getting into the walls and sheet rock repairs (we are gonna have to work on the replacement costs...lol)

I will keep everyone informed of the negotiations with Prier:-)

Re: Prier 1//4 Turn Frost Free Failures

Do these have spring loaded ends where the seat washer is attached to a glide? I used a couple of these that were failing from the go, stopped using them instantly.

We've had some really cold, wind blowing weather that has froze up a lot of Woodford 25's and even though they didn't break, they won't produce water to operate. They'll just stay locked up and unusable until it gets above freezing.

Lots of Arrow Brass, Woodford, Mansfield and some B&K's in my area. Woodfords have been the most reliable but they by far are the most expensive, moving into the $40 range as of late.

This time of year pays it forward for spring when I replace/repair a large amount of these. Arrow Brass usually pops out the anti-siphon assembly first when a hose is left on them. Many in new construction were jigged in for the bricklayers to go around which means you have to beat them out of the wall to get the new ones in.

Anything with a bolt pattern end has to be grinded down to push through the hole, otherwise you'll have to redrill/widen the hole to make the new one go in. I prefer to grind or use the exact match.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

[QUOTE=DUNBAR PLUMBING;409503

Anything with a bolt pattern end has to be grinded down to push through the hole, otherwise you'll have to redrill/widen the hole to make the new one go in. I prefer to grind or use the exact match.[/QUOTE]

Most the faucets I change are in brick, once I get the old one out .I take a piece of 3/4 black pipe and resize the hole with a few taps of the hammer ,makes a nice clean hole for the new woodford to slip in

Comment

shouldn't these Cos. re imburse plumbers for their labor also Mark ?
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I feel ya brotha , I plumbed 3 houses in the early spring .All six whent bad 2 per house.Before I found out about those , I installed two at a rehab , and as soon as I turned the valve on , the damn thing wouldn't turn off.The house was plumbed with pex , so I dont understand how two brand new hydrants can be bad . Lucky for me, my local supply house is awesome , I returned all 8, got a credit, and purchased woodfords.You pay a liitle more for um I think there 36 bucks a pop but saves a recall.

Comment

I install only Woodfords now. The Arrowheads suck and the Prier work better, but the Woodfords are the way to go. I put in the Model 17 and they have held up very well.
            Will Rogers Plumbing
            Moore, Oklahoma
            (
            405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
            http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

I'm loving the Arrowhead brass half turn hydrants, Prier hasn't impressed me much lately
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Well, Prier gave me the contact information for their Insurance person and directed me to file a claim, I understand they have to protect themselves from the liability of a crappy product and appreciate them not being total asshats when dealing with me...

My supply house is bringing in Woodford for me and dropping Prier completely (at least at my branch)... A Lesson Learned

Comment

I've been using a Woodforde Model 19. (I think that's the number.)

Backpressure relief. And I like the oval handle the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
                    I install only Woodfords now. The Arrowheads suck and the Prier work better, but the Woodfords are the way to go. I put in the Model 17 and they have held up very well.
                    You should consider trying the Woodford Series 19. It has an internal spring that allows water back into the house if the homeowner leaves the hose on and water starts freezing in the barrel. Woodford calls it Freeze free. I believe the Series 17 can be refitted to series 19 with a different stem. It's the good stuff!!
                    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

That might just be one more thing to fail down the line though, the Model 17 does what I need it to do. I'll look into the Model 19 though
                      Will Rogers Plumbing
                      Moore, Oklahoma
                      (
                      405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
                      http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Working...
                      X