Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to pay top notch service employee?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to pay top notch service employee?

Thinking of bringing on some help here and was curious what you think is the best way to pay? Talking about a service plumber with at least 10 years experience. I've asked around, some pay an hourly wage of around 20 to 22 an hour. Talked to one company that pays them minimum wage and the rest is all commission, they do pretty good.

How about the application? I was going to do a background check, drug test, and call past employers. Is that enough? Maybe give them a one month probation? Drive along with me and watch them work and interact with customers?

Any thoughts?

Re: Best way to pay top notch service employee?

On your application make sure it asks about their medical history & ask your worker's comp. agent how to check for past worker's comp claims.

Comment

I made $23 as a licensed master and hvac tech. it's all they would pay. they fully paid my medical and i had 2 weeks vacation plus a fully vested 401k plan.

start with what you think is fair. keep that to yourself. ask the prospective employee what they want. everyone knows what they want. then compare, combine or adjust your expectations and theirs. if you give them what they ask for (if it's reasonable) isn't that the best kind of employee to have (they're unlikely to leave as they have what they want).

Hire me, i only need $50 per hour or so...
      Last edited by Plumber Punky; 12-10-2013, 11:24 PM.
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Why not ask him what he needs to bring home in order to make his living?
        Give me one day on the service truck and I can tell you what he's worth.

Comment

Legally, past employers can't tell you much. However, If you ask "Would you hire him/her again?" they can answer yes or no. That tells you a whole lot.

Comment

I agree with taking a new employee on the truck for a week or so. I think that will show it all. Regarding pay, I would like to do some kind of incentive like a bonus or commission for reaching certain goals. I would like to have a competitive group.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
              Legally, past employers can't tell you much. However, If you ask "Would you hire him/her again?" they can answer yes or no. That tells you a whole lot.
              I had a past co-worker tell the employer that I was his employer and boss. Soooo... one day I get a call from the NY State police asking for a reference about Mr. so-and-so as I was his employer and boss. Well, did they get a whole story about how I wasn't his boss or employer, and how he got us sued, and how unreliable he was, and the stories he told.

I don't think he got that job...
              ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                I had a past co-worker tell the employer that I was his employer and boss. Soooo... one day I get a call from the NY State police asking for a reference about Mr. so-and-so as I was his employer and boss. Well, did they get a whole story about how I wasn't his boss or employer, and how he got us sued, and how unreliable he was, and the stories he told.

I don't think he got that job...
                What did he do then, run for Governor?

Comment

Sounds like he was qualified for the governor job anyway.
                  Maybe over-qualified, he should start out in DC.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

i think he's playing mr. mom now.
                    ~~

Comment

you need to know what the wage in your area is..then do a ride along with the guy,,, i asked for a ride along with the plumber i was going to go to work FOR
                      i told him, we might as well know right now, if we are going to see eye to eye
                      as far as service plumbers go,,,,pay him what i call ticket hours..if he bills out 10 man ticket hours in a 8 hour period..pay him the ticket hours rate
                      its a little excentive to hurry up and make BOTH ya'll money
                      sigpic
                      30+ years as a plumber
                      6 years in the Air Force

Comment

shoot, just pay him in beer and hoes
                        ~~

Comment

Best Question you can ask. This privacy BS is a killer. Why do I have to pay for a chronic back injury or other. Do I have SUCKER tattooed on my forehead?????????????

Comment

HEY ! when do I as the Boss/Business owner get THIS !!! ???

I made $23 as a licensed master and hvac tech. it's all they would pay. they fully paid my medical and i had 2 weeks vacation plus a fully vested 401k plan.

Comment

Originally posted by NoeEttica View Post
                              HEY ! when do I as the Boss/Business owner get THIS !!! ???

when you put up with someone putting his thumb up your *** and making you dance like a puppet for his own personal pleasure
                              ~~

Comment

Working...
                              X