Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recirc system opinions?

Grundfos Comfort System | Grundfos

What's better? What's worse? Why? Any other thoughts on these?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Recirc system opinions?

Depending on the situation maybe a small point of use tankless unit would suffice as a booster.

Comment

my dad installed one and he had me tear it out. he had hot in the cold and had to wait for cold water. the water savings wee minimal. energy savings were none, electricity usage increased, gas usage increased.

either install a point of use or adapt that pump to a dedicated new return line for the hot side only.

intentionally creating a crossover is a bad idea.
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I love My comfort system ! And installed about 5 others Never a complaint. Yes You get a little wait for cold ,We're use to it.
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
          I love My comfort system ! And installed about 5 others Never a complaint. Yes You get a little wait for cold ,We're use to it.
          Sure beats a long wait for hot!!!

Comment

I have been thinking about the same thing.
            But instead of a timer I would like a push button to start it.
            Roots beware of the C snake with shark teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
              my dad installed one and he had me tear it out. he had hot in the cold and had to wait for cold water. the water savings wee minimal. energy savings were none, electricity usage increased, gas usage increased.

either install a point of use or adapt that pump to a dedicated new return line for the hot side only.

intentionally creating a crossover is a bad idea.

That is some important information to know before hand.
              Roots beware of the C snake with shark teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by kol 15 View Post
                I like that setup better than a timer that get's out of whack when the power goes out. Seems less wasteful.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                  I like that setup better than a timer that get's out of whack when the power goes out. Seems less wasteful.
                  Any brands or links?
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

For the retrofit ones I've installed:

Grundfos
                    Laing
                    Watts

Never had a complaint about the brief warm water on the cold water side. But I explain it thoroughly beforehand.

I like the Laing the best. Haven't done one in awhile though. Used to be model 303-BTW (I think.) It has a timer AND a thermostat built into it. So you can just put it in, turn it on, and it will come on every so often and keep warm water near. Or you can go timer and make it just run constant at x time. Most would just turn it on and let the thermostat turn it on & off.

Zero complaints or callbacks on the Laing for several years.

Watts distributes one that is exactly like the Grundfos for about 50%+ less. And if you look closely at the blue pump, it says right on it-Made By Grundfos!

I think Metlund makes, or use to make, push button on circulating pumps if that's what you want.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by kol 15 View Post
                      It has an on off switch, and mounts on top of WH .
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Is this for you or a customer?
                        If for you and I believe you are somewhere in semi arid CA, I'd wait until the next official drought where the water co. starts to zing you for any use over a certain benchmark. At least, that's when I'm putting mine in.

Comment

for customers. I would think this would save water because you're not wasting water letting the hot water come to the faucet. right?
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

It will. As for me, I'd recommend putting in a model with wireless sensors at the various points of use. It causes a little cycling when it gets a false positive (someone using the shitter, or washing hands with cold only), but no unnecessary extended run time.

BTW Gear, where are you located?

Comment

When I repipe my place im going to put in a pump with an aquastat, the big change for mine will be adding a switch to the bathroom, so it will only come on when I want it on, and even when I leave the switch on it will shut off when it's satisfied, rather than running for all hours, or relying on a timer
                              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Working...
                              X