Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deckmount demon

Hey fellas,
    This is a true testament to skill if I don't say so myself. I had a contractor who called me in on a job where he needed to have a new deck mount tub faucet installed and the existing removed. As you can see in the first pic he already started and just mangled the tub spout. (LOL, I told him hey buddy plumbing may look like anyone can do it, but it does take some thinking). So I was able to remove the existing faucet and handles with doing anymore damage. But I tell you we have very high hard water content in certain areas and this was one, it does wonders to copper, Look at the first pic, So the old faucet was a serious headache to remove. That alone took almost an hour. So now its removed I have to get the new one in and access is only Ill say maybe 12"x12". Enough to get one arm in and maybe squeeze your second one in. So how is a guy to get this soldered and connected in this small space, and the access being on the opposite side of the bathroom. So I had a AH HAH moment. Why not solder it all in place first outside on a table and then install all together. But this would take some true skill and you must solder the joints tight because if it leaks you have to remove the entire assembly. You will not be able to solder in that small space. So that's what I did, I measured the distance and got the correct bend measurements. Oh, I also installed some stops and supply lines. The existing one was piped right into the faucet. (No way, you need to be able to shut water off at the fixture). I actually got it all in, The GC did stay behind to lend a hand, to hold handles up top, while I used one arm and a basin wrench to secure it below. Man, I tell you , whatever you charge for installing these things, its worth it. Let me know what you think.
    Attached Files
    Wise man said "Hot on the left, cold on the right,
    crap flows downhill, and checks come on Friday"

Re: Deckmount demon

nice work. i do most of the work that i can outside first. new basins/faucets/drains are a good example of this. but, being of a small frame, i can fit in areas where you big brutes cant. i see you removed much of the crappy cpvc too.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Love those sharkbite type stops.
      Why not JG for the rest of it?

Comment

are they sharkbite or solvent weld? both have that little ridge on the outside edge
        ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
          are they sharkbite or solvent weld? both have that little ridge on the outside edge
          The 3rd pic shows a push-on straight stop. 2 fingers for taking it apart, no sharkbite key needed.
          Last edited by ArizonaPlumber; 12-20-2013, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Looks like push-fit of some type, to me.

Comment

I've actually never used a flex or a stop on a deckmount, I usually just use ball valves and pipe straight to the valve.
              It seems like you'd lose a lot of volume.
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

i have a crappy, grainy netbook screen so i'll take your word for it
                ~~

Comment

those ss water flexes are only approved for exposed locations. not in walls or behind access panels. although I se them all the time in both 1/2'' and 3/4'' for your install, legally, not approved.

basically there's no easy way to see their condition and will eventually fail. probably not for 10 years or more. but there will be a drop in volume compared to using it for a lav or kitchen faucet.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Access door is the only code approved solution. 1/2" stops and flex will restrict flow enough to make a lot of noise. I'd insulate the piss out of that recess. Can't speak for Md., but if that were in UPC country it would also require an accessible ASSE 1070 tempering valve.
                    Last edited by Plumbus; 12-21-2013, 03:37 PM.

Comment

I would use metallic cpvc Transition Males then FULL PORT SS Ball Valves then Uponor up to the valve ...

I just removed a defective PUSH-ON 1/4 stop today :-( looks like what's in your photo ...

Hey if your customer IS Happy Gr8 ...

Comment

They just started enforcing the tempering valve on those here in the last few months

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                        Access door is the only code approved solution. 1/2" stops and flex will restrict flow enough to make a lot of noise. I'd insulate the piss out of that recess. Can't speak for Md., but if that were in UPC country it would also require an accessible ASSE 1070 tempering valve.
                        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Working...
                        X