Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

this is what the tile guy left for me.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this is what the tile guy left for me.........

Cast iron flange connected directly to 3" 90* on 2nd floor. Customer had some "tile guy" remove and replace the tile in this bathroom and he did.........I don't think he had that much experience, do you? I guess this is what a $600 tile job looks like.
    Talked to the tile guy at owners request and he actually says to me, "can't you just push it down a little?"
    It's up 1-1/4" on left and 3/4" on right (unlevel flooring). Can you guess what has to happen now?
    Attached Files

Re: this is what the tile guy left for me.........

Originally posted by Plumber26 View Post
    Cast iron flange connected directly to 3" 90* on 2nd floor. Customer had some "tile guy" remove and replace the tile in this bathroom and he did.........I don't think he had that much experience, do you? I guess this is what a $600 tile job looks like.
    Talked to the tile guy at owners request and he actually says to me, "can't you just push it down a little?"
    It's up 1-1/4" on left and 3/4" on right (unlevel flooring). Can you guess what has to happen now?
    Looks like He ripped out original tile set in mud , and an additional layer of tile set in thin set. He left the lead set flange for You ! It's always best that they leave the plumbing for You. Yes a heads up would of been nice . But it's work Brother !
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

See junk like this all the time by tile hacks. I haven't seen a tile professional locally yet.

Comment

Oh, I'm gladly going to go back and reset the toilet............right after the new tile is removed, the floor is built up, and more new tile is laid.
        There really is no other option that I can see in this situation. Besides, it's the right way to do it.

Comment

before you tell the owner to rip the tile out. I would see if you could bust out the flange and lower it to the floor with a new flange. the flange does look a little ruff. plus it's cheaper to replace the flange if there's room to drop it, than the tile floor.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            before you tell the owner to rip the tile out. I would see if you could bust out the flange and lower it to the floor with a new flange. the flange does look a little ruff. plus it's cheaper to replace the flange if there's room to drop it, than the tile floor.

rick.
            The flange connects to a 90* and the end of the fitting is level with the top of the flange. There would be no way to lower it without affecting the pitch due to it being a short turn 90*. If there had been any drop at all, I would have suggested opening ceiling below for replacement. Just no way in this situation to make that happen, my friend. The tile guy is eating this one.

Comment

The flange connects to a 90* and the end of the fitting is level with the top of the flange. There would be no way to lower it without affecting the pitch due to it being a short turn 90*. If there had been any drop at all, I would have suggested opening ceiling below for replacement. Just no way in this situation to make that happen, my friend. The tile guy is eating this one.
              He should have to eat it! I'm sick of it too. Always having to work up some sort of miracle for someone else's screw up. And the one's I run into always seem 100% confident in what they do and the clusterf#$k they create.

"But it looks pretty...."

Comment

That things 14 feet of the ground!!! Lol he actually said can u push it down a little?

Comment

Is this a "nice" house ? I have seen a concrete "shoe" cast under the toilet raised a "standard" toilet 1.5 " it worked ... LOL

Comment

Good Lord, what was in there for flooring before, and what did he replace the substrate with? Either he put the tile right on the subfloor with out any quality substrate or the old (most likely) concrete bed was freaking thick! If I had to fix this as a floor guy, I'd leave the tile, prime the tile with an adhesive latex primer, Self-level pour it up until 1/2" below the flange and re-lay it. No point in tearing it out if he has to go up. I know I've buried a few flanges (mainly due to previous flooring being 1/4" plywood and vinyl) and not proud of it, but I'm not going to sacrifice the quality and durability of my work because the old plumbing is to low due to the old flooring height. This on the other hand is just stupidity, if the elbow is indeed that close that you cant cut off the amount needed to drop it with a slip in flange, then yes, that tile guy just lost his money! His corners aren't level anyway and he went way to big on the grout joints anyway... lol

Comment

How old is the house?

I agree the joints look very wide in the photo, not so good in this setting (bathroom).
                      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                        Good Lord, what was in there for flooring before, and what did he replace the substrate with? Either he put the tile right on the subfloor with out any quality substrate or the old (most likely) concrete bed was freaking thick! If I had to fix this as a floor guy, I'd leave the tile, prime the tile with an adhesive latex primer, Self-level pour it up until 1/2" below the flange and re-lay it. No point in tearing it out if he has to go up. I know I've buried a few flanges (mainly due to previous flooring being 1/4" plywood and vinyl) and not proud of it, but I'm not going to sacrifice the quality and durability of my work because the old plumbing is to low due to the old flooring height. This on the other hand is just stupidity, if the elbow is indeed that close that you cant cut off the amount needed to drop it with a slip in flange, then yes, that tile guy just lost his money! His corners aren't level anyway and he went way to big on the grout joints anyway... lol
                        Well, this is an issue that tile guys, being professionals, should consider when doing a job. You can't blame the plumbing being old for having to "bury it". If you are pricing a tile job, you should take all things into consideration. Customer has vinyl and they want tile in their bathroom? Why not advise the customer that the plumbing for the toilet needs to be raised? Why not link up with a local plumber who you can get to work with you on these type things?
                        The guy who did this job, told me that he "offered to set the toilets back down". (I really hate to see what THAT would have looked like!)

Comment

Originally posted by NoeEttica View Post
                          Is this a "nice" house ? I have seen a concrete "shoe" cast under the toilet raised a "standard" toilet 1.5 " it worked ... LOL
                          Oh they were coming up with some wild ideas to keep from having to fix this problem. One of their ideas was to put a wood base under the toilet to build it up to the right height. Another was a solid peice of rubber mat cut out to the same size as the toilet. The house is early 80's in a nice enough neighborhood that I would not recommend anything less than doing it right.
                          The thing is, if I were to do something like this in my trade, I would be the scum of the earth. For example, if I were to replace a water heater and when I remove the old one, the flooring is weak and rotting out. Do I install the water heater anyway and blame the floor for being old? Besides, why sacrifice my water heater install just because they have floor issues? I tell you what I WOULD do...... I would show this to a homeowner. Depending on the customer, the home, and the customers financial situation I would either call in a professional to redo the floor in the affected area correctly or at the very least, I'd go cut my own piece of plywood out and secure it enough to sturdy it up. If you are in any trade, you need to know what affect your actions have on other trades and bring these things to the homeowners' attention. Let them choose to fix it correctly or let it go. Then you can have your clear conscience.

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
                            See junk like this all the time by tile hacks. I haven't seen a tile professional locally yet.
                            Bluecan this is why I said in another thread most tile guys are HACKS.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
                              The other problem that is not shown & I am sure is there. Is what does the transition from the new floor & the old floor @ the door way look like. How did he make up the 1-1/4" difference.

Let me guess he put in a marble threshold & still has a tripping hazard.

Comment

Working...
                              X