Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

this is what the tile guy left for me.........

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: this is what the tile guy left for me.........

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
    Good Lord, what was in there for flooring before, and what did he replace the substrate with? Either he put the tile right on the subfloor with out any quality substrate or the old (most likely) concrete bed was freaking thick! If I had to fix this as a floor guy, I'd leave the tile, prime the tile with an adhesive latex primer, Self-level pour it up until 1/2" below the flange and re-lay it. No point in tearing it out if he has to go up. I know I've buried a few flanges (mainly due to previous flooring being 1/4" plywood and vinyl) and not proud of it, but I'm not going to sacrifice the quality and durability of my work because the old plumbing is to low due to the old flooring height. This on the other hand is just stupidity, if the elbow is indeed that close that you cant cut off the amount needed to drop it with a slip in flange, then yes, that tile guy just lost his money! His corners aren't level anyway and he went way to big on the grout joints anyway... lol
    That junk needs to come out. Tile needs to be set on a good foundation & his tile work does qualify.

You don't know if he used the right thin set for the material he was setting the tile on.

Depending on what the floor joists are , their span & what the subfloor is. The floor probably needs to be strengthen also.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber26 View Post
      Well, this is an issue that tile guys, being professionals, should consider when doing a job. You can't blame the plumbing being old for having to "bury it". If you are pricing a tile job, you should take all things into consideration. Customer has vinyl and they want tile in their bathroom? Why not advise the customer that the plumbing for the toilet needs to be raised? Why not link up with a local plumber who you can get to work with you on these type things?
      The guy who did this job, told me that he "offered to set the toilets back down". (I really hate to see what THAT would have looked like!)
      Yup, I do have a local plumber that does my plumbing. I won't reset fixtures, not a chance I'm going to take. Most I've "buried" a flange was 1/2" and to fix it I used one of the brass replacement rings. I used a polyethylene caulking between the original flange and the brass flange then a typical wax ring to the toilet. And, this was my own house. It killed two birds with one stone, fixed the height issue and fixed a broken flange where the basin bolt goes.

Oh, take that back, I had one 1 1/2 deep, but it's not my fault really. The plumber installed the toilet flange an inch deep in the concrete floor! I fixed it for the homeowner, shaved down enough of the pvc on a 3" closet flange that I could get it inside the existing 4" flange. Glued it and anchored it to the floor.

Not all tile guys are hacks my friend.

Comment

Im never surprised how screwed up a flange is when i pull up a toilet any more

Hacks are every were

Comment

Pound the ring down to the proper level, repack the lead, grind the excess cast iron away, set some new screws and bill the HO the extra time for your troubles.
          Not trying to defend the tile setter, but can you imagine what a mess he'd make of trying to fix this? This is a classic example of the continuing need for experienced plumbers live those who frequent this forum.
          I have plenty of bones to pick with tile guys, but this isn't one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
            Pound the ring down to the proper level, repack the lead, grind the excess cast iron away, set some new screws and bill the HO the extra time for your troubles.
            Not trying to defend the tile setter, but can you imagine what a mess he'd make of trying to fix this? This is a classic example of the continuing need for experienced plumbers live those who frequent this forum.
            we just found a real plumber !
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

At least when the seal does leak, the water will run out the bathroom door

Change the surface materials and leave the 100 year old plumbing buried. This happens on nearly every house here that gets flipped. The Capitol cutter has become my best friend when this happens. In a pinch, I'll use the grinder to level it but that can be messy in a freshly tiled bathroom. Inside expanding flange probably won't work in a short pattern 90. I've used a clamping outside flange that works pretty good in this application. Cost about $50 though.

Or just let the hack that started this, finish it....

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber26 View Post
                The flange connects to a 90* and the end of the fitting is level with the top of the flange. There would be no way to lower it without affecting the pitch due to it being a short turn 90*. If there had been any drop at all, I would have suggested opening ceiling below for replacement. Just no way in this situation to make that happen, my friend. The tile guy is eating this one.
                Out here the standard is a 3"x4"x6" closet bend when its cast/ nh. I have internal cutters for both 3" & 4". Unless the 90 has already been cut low, there's plenty of room in the 6" riser to lower it an inch.

On plastic, especially diy installs, then its hit or miss. Usually I find when its a handyman, homeowner or non plumber, they stub up with a 3" riser. Out here 4" is 99% the standard for a flange opening.

Some older toilets the china is deep enough to have cover the raised flange. Now the newer toilets give very little room for error.

Rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Using a grinder, cut down the C.I. Pour a new flange. Yes You may have to make a slightfully oval paper templete and grind the new flange. I would enjoy the chalange and charge well for it !
                  Of cource what do i know , another dumb G.C. HAPPY NEW YEAR BROTHERS AND SISTERS !!
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I also know a welder that would use a chill ring Nickel rod and weld it in. Probably burn the house to the footer ! Tile Guy would be HAPPY !

Comment

If the exposed lip of CI is tall enough (3/4"+) I've been known to take a hammer to it, chipping around the inside and catching the flying pieces with my boot. Makes for good theatre.
                      Last edited by Plumbus; 01-01-2014, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Did you miss the part where I said the flange is on a 90* and there is nowhere for it to go?

Comment

Good point. Is it a 3x4 closet ring or a 3x4 closet bend? It doesn't look like the former. If the latter,
                          you could replace the existing ring with one of these 4"x1-1/2" rings.
                          However, if the floor is 1/2" out of level, the wc will not set flat and probably rock no matter what you do. I think the tile guy needs a do over.

Comment

my god! Im not a professional plumber or a pro tiler
                            but i would have at least put a sub-floor down to bring the tile up even to the flange
                            shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gnuuser View Post
                              my god! Im not a professional plumber or a pro tiler
                              but i would have at least put a sub-floor down to bring the tile up even to the flange

That alone would have cost $600. A tile guy has got to really screw up to get the attention of an electrician (except when he tiles over a box).

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                                At least when the seal does leak, the water will run out the bathroom door

Would it? Was the old floor even or above the floor outside the bathroom? He may have a poo pond instead.

That alone would have cost $600. A tile guy has got to really screw up to get the attention of an electrician (except when he tiles over a box).

Click image for larger version

Name:	d98969f4e3f251c8752b252d37b41522.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	18105
                                ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Working...
                                X