Clogged Vent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clogged Vent

I've got a multifamily building with a couple clogged vents on the roof. They are 4" cast iron where they come out the flat roof, but they reduce down to 2" about a foot down.

The issue is that the sediment and whatever is clogging it is rock hard. Does anyone know of any liquid that would soften it up? I would be more aggressive and use a solid auger or something, but I cannot tell if it elbows at the location of the clog. Any rodder that can fit in the 2' pipe will not have enough rigidity to push through the clog in its current state.

Thanks,

Chris

Re: Clogged Vent

I've seen Clobber clear some dirt and crud filled pipes. Didn't think it would happen but it did.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Dhal22 View Post
      I've seen Clobber clear some dirt and crud filled pipes. Didn't think it would happen but it did.

David
      If the building is old, and / or the joints in the vents are significantly deteriorated the "Clobber" may penetrate the pipe and you will have sulfuric acid leaking into the building. Risky.
      Could try some vinegar and let it soak a few days. What about using a hammer drill with a long bit to sort of "shock" the top of the plug? If they have an attic what about replacing some of the pipe? Good luck!
      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm going to use an auger drill and drill carefully. I should be able to determine if I'm hitting metal (bottom of elbow) over the concrete stuff that's in there. If it is an elbow, I'll try something to soften it up, but cutting into the ceiling to replace might be the end result.

Comment

Working...
        X