Why years of experience doesn't always mean "good experience"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why years of experience doesn't always mean "good experience"

Sorry for the long story but had a blast with this one.

Customer is getting a bathroom remodeled. Great guy and he uses me here and there but my prices are to high according to him. Truthfully he loves a great deal so he hires these crappy general contractors. His downstairs bath I had to redo a ton of work. So now we're in the upstairs master bath and I'm installing a toilet for him. The GC he hired has been sucking the whole time and I'm just there to install the toilet. GC is under the sink

Me: Hi
    GC: So you a real plumber or just do this on the side?
    Me: Real plumber....this is how I put food on the table.
    GC: Well I just do this stuff on the side.....I love side work. Plus plumbing is easy.
    Me: ........

I go to work setting the toilet when I hear....

GC: Hey can you look at this. (pic of P trap bottomed out on cabinet
    Me: (peek head around)
    GC: How would you installed this
    Me: I would've done the rough in correctly.
    GC: but the pipes were already there.
    ME: Well that's why plumbing isn't so easy for some people. Good luck

I turned my back and left him there pissed. So the H/O hears the discussion and asks what the deal is and I explain. H/O ask the solution and tell him to pull the cabinet and open the wall to raise the drains. H/O turns to the GC and tells him to get it done. OMFG! I almost blew a gasket. I would've felt bad if he didn't make all those remarks about plumbing and plumbers.

Moving the counter and cabinet will be a bear.....counter was handcrafted in italy from the wife's family land and flown in. They took 6 guys to move it in place. Oh well.....better get them back out. The GC advertises heavy on kitchen and bath remodel and been in business since 85(that's what he told me). Attached is another pic of the GC's work under the jacuzzi tub.
    Attached Files
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Why years of experience doesn't always mean "good experience"

pardon my italian-french:

fukin GC hack!
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I love it ! Remember the Chinese definition of happiness " Getting Your hair cut every 2 weeks, and watching Your neighbor fall off His roof ! " Your customer just went 3 storys into the celler hole !
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Well guys get set for the "waited for the call a pro line" to pipe in and smack all you real contractors. Downunder we have the Big Green Shed aka BUNNINGS(google it and you will see....!!!!) and they teach the weekend warriors. I never sway away from saying that there are many contractors out there that SOULDN'T hold licenses but there are still many legitimate Contractors. Yes we are all handy somewhat and we all dabble in different disciplines but when you are doing it for financial gain it is paramount to EXTORTION as such. Weekend Warriors don't hold professional insurance, nor do they have a full understanding why we do what we do. Now the Homeowner or other who wants to take the risk, good luck. Oh but they save money don't they.
        To use a phrase I have recently seen, "You think a Professional is EXPENSIVE, just wait till you finish paying for the Amateur..........!!!!". How true a statement this is on a regular basis. What they do is admit that they got RIPPED OFF BLIND and made a stupid decision.
        Stuff em, better to work for those that appreciate and understand. Oh, by the way, this is just my humble (professional) opinion mind you..........!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          So the H/O hears the discussion and asks what the deal is and I explain. H/O ask the solution and tell him to pull the cabinet and open the wall to raise the drains. H/O turns to the GC and tells him to get it done. OMFG! I almost blew a gasket. I would've felt bad if he didn't make all those remarks about plumbing and plumbers.

Now that i'm in a slightly better mood i'll also ask (and because i forgot to earlier):

did you add a 'consultation fee' to your bill because you had to tell the HO and GC-hack how to do it?
          ~~

Comment

I'm surprised the "Hack" just didn't cut the bottom out of the base cabinet. I've seen that done a lot by the local $20 handy man.
            AP

Comment

Will there be permanent access to the tub p-trap?

Comment

sure, you will have to cut a hole to get to the permanent access, though...
                ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                  Will there be permanent access to the tub p-trap?
                  Yes there is.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

or just put an 1 11/4" trap on it and wonder why it takes forever to drain ...

I don't get it ...they pay to have stuff "flown in" but won't pay you !! AZZ Clowns !!!

Comment

Originally posted by NoeEttica View Post
                      or just put an 1 11/4" trap on it and wonder why it takes forever to drain ...

I don't get it ...they pay to have stuff "flown in" but won't pay you !! AZZ Clowns !!!
                      There's the truth of it.Order all customcabinets, granite ccounter tops , marble back splash and find the cheapest guy to install it.Theyd probably have better luck hiring a drunk from the liquor store.Good plumbing isn't cheap, and cheap plumbing isn't good!!

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                        Sorry for the long story but had a blast with this one.

Great guy and he uses me here and there but my prices are to high according to him.
                        Next time he calls tell him you've just raised your price an additional $175 and you now have a dispatch fee of $95 just to come look at the job and it's not waived even if you do the work and you're booked three weeks out already so you can't fit him in any time soon.

Comment

Working...
                        X