Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Unprofessional" yes/no ?

Originally posted by NoeEttica View Post
    I asked a customer today and will continue to do so ... They said they would rather have my undivided attention
    This has varied somewhat from the original question, which was is there any harm in having someone with you when you stop to discuss a project or submit a quote for a job. Having a helper or second person with you when you are performing a job to me is a different issue.

For one thing as a customer I'm not too worried about you having a child along when someone comes to estimate a job or discuss the job. But thinking only from a liability standpoint of the customer what risk are they taking by allowing a minor to be present during construction or maintenance where they could be injured. Could I (the customer) be sued should they be injured since it happened on my property and are not there as part of the 'work force' so not covered by Workman's comp or the contractors insurance? Or does the customer have to trust that the contractor will cover any expenses or claims arising from damage or injury of the minor?

I'm sure this will stir up a hornets nest but that's not what I am trying to do. Tell us if you have ever considered these issues and how you resolved them.
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006
    "?ǝɹɐ sɹǝƃuıɟ ɹnoʎ ǝɹǝɥʍ ʍouʞ noʎ op `ʍɐs ǝlqɐʇ ɐ s,ʇı"

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      Phoebe is my closer.

Except yesterday/ saturday about 4:30 I went to the bank with phoebe and joey. On the way home needed to look at a sewer repair the gardner was digging. As im parking the car in their driveway phoebe and joey were doing the meet and greet with my long time customer. As I get out joey is yelling for me to get some wipes out. I thought phoebe fell down, worse, she blew chunks in their driveway.

Something didnt get along with phoebe the night before. At least she waited to get out of my new suv before she unloaded. A quick wash down of the driveway and phoebe and I went in the yard to look at the broken sewer line. She was aiming my led light into the 6' hole as I was looking in.

Owner of thd house knows me well and other than a slight delay, phoebe made a good impression on the estimate. Coming back monday to fix the broken line.

Rick.

Never a dull day in the life of Rick. Hope Phoebe is all good now. Nothing hurts as much as watching our little ones like this.

Comment

I asked a customer today and will continue to do so ... They said they would rather have my undivided attention

No offence to you but heaps to your customer. Did he just arrive on this earth or was he a youngster once in his life. I know we are professionals but stick that attitude where the sun don't shine son. Anyone ever made a comment like that to me I would send them to the yellow pages. You can tell a lot about people with kids around as well as dogs too(sorry to draw a comparison here). Look at how they speak to their kids and how the kids behave. Dogs on the other hand tell you a lot about a person. If it is your dog he will sniff out an A-H. If it is the customers dog listen to how they speak to the dog and watch the way the dog moves and responds. I believe that there is more to the negotiation besides the bottom line. Sum up who you are dealing with and work out how far you can put your hand in their pocket.
        Lastly picking up on Tony's comment, you have 30+ yrs experience and you are asking this question. My family first all the way. There will always be another client/ho out there who shows respect. If more of us told more of them to go get stuffed maybe we wouldn't be discussing this and be worried about the bidding a low price

Comment

"Unprofessional" yes/no ?

You are running around with a family member in the truck and tell them hey I'll drop you at the store and I'll run around the corner and do a bid ...

they get all "hinkey" and say I'll sit in the truck at the customers house . I explain that it would look Unprofessional and diminish the bids value .( because the customer would think " you were off work running around with your family anyway")

whats you guys take on this ?
          Noettica,

If you're not comfortable bringing your family member to a quote for whatever reason then don't. You will perform your best when YOU are comfortable. I know people who take along family, friends, and do fine. I know one plumber who brings a chihuahua with him every day. He leaves it in the truck in the winter and lets his truck idle all day. (Dodge Sprinter). Some customers LOVE the dog and he brings it in. Some don't, thus the idling. It sheds alot so I don't like it coming in to our house with the grandbabies crawling in our carpet every day.

Good luck sir !
          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

I used to take one or the other of my two sons with me when they were in the 10 to 15 year old range, my daughter I used to have ride a long some times when she was was 4 to 9 years old no problems
            Preview
            Jerry Mac
            MAC SALES 777
            SEWER EQUIPMENT SALES
            jerryhodge@att.net

Comment

Anyone that had an issue with a well behaved kid I don't want as a customer.

Comment

I don't think you mentioned which family member it was. It may not be so much unprofessional as unwise. I have brought my boys many times. I would NEVER bring my wife.
                Just saying...
                "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

my kids and now my grand kids are my closers.most people especially older folks and first time parents like talking to kids. also my wife has been to some long time clients calls, and they like to see the person they been talking to all these years.

Comment

Working...
                  X