Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Unprofessional" yes/no ?

"Unprofessional" yes/no ?

You are running around with a family member in the truck and tell them hey I'll drop you at the store and I'll run around the corner and do a bid ...

they get all "hinkey" and say I'll sit in the truck at the customers house . I explain that it would look Unprofessional and diminish the bids value .( because the customer would think " you were off work running around with your family anyway")

whats you guys take on this ?

Re: "Unprofessional" yes/no ?

If you're in my truck , you're on the job.
    At the least, my helper, even if in name only.

Comment

I doubt if the potential customer would think twice about it, I know I wouldn't. They're more interested in the $$$ amount you are about to give them then who's sitting in your truck.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I say NOT unprofessional in the least bit. I actually think it helps to "humanize" you.
        I agree with Jim as well. if you're in my van you are "working" and should take part in the job even if it's just to hold a flashlight and shake the customers hand.
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Phoebe is my closer.

Except yesterday/ saturday about 4:30 I went to the bank with phoebe and joey. On the way home needed to look at a sewer repair the gardner was digging. As im parking the car in their driveway phoebe and joey were doing the meet and greet with my long time customer. As I get out joey is yelling for me to get some wipes out. I thought phoebe fell down, worse, she blew chunks in their driveway.

Something didnt get along with phoebe the night before. At least she waited to get out of my new suv before she unloaded. A quick wash down of the driveway and phoebe and I went in the yard to look at the broken sewer line. She was aiming my led light into the 6' hole as I was looking in.

Owner of thd house knows me well and other than a slight delay, phoebe made a good impression on the estimate. Coming back monday to fix the broken line.

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Professional.

whoever is with you is the helper. i've taken many people with me before...to see how it's done, to learn customer interaction, to learn something they needed for their own job... the customers appreciate that they're not getting charged for the second person and that you're taking the time and effort to pass along information to another.

anyone who gives you a problem because of the second person will be a problem later, too. so bid HIGH!
            ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Soooo The "Lone Wolf" is not the best image to project ?

Comment

I have my 10 yo son with me occasionally, weekends, holidays, etc. No one has ever made a negative comment, most compliment me on the great looking helper or good to see my kid getting a work education.

David

Comment

I'm the oldest of 4 brothers. We all work together and sometimes all four of us go to do estimates at the same time. Granted, that's usually why we get the jobs as we are a family business. Not unprofessional at all to have family along. My wife has come to first and second visits with the customer before. Usually one of the family members of the customers isn't interested in the project and just is authorizing the check and I've found that they are more comfortable to have someone to chat with about things that have nothing to do with the project.

Comment

I`ve found over many years in business that having a family member when quoting or repairing a small job vary helpfull as it shows that you are not a fly by nighter and will be there for the years to come and as you have 30 years experience why you would ask this question you must have been in this situation before but you seem to be embarrassed having them with you when seeing a client which you shouldn`t

Tony

Comment

A couple of times I have brought my 10 year old son. I tell him to wait in the van, but normally he ends up in the family room, propped up in the recliner drinking a soda, talking with the homeowner. I have mixed thoughts regarding this....

Comment

Not plumbers but I have had people like landscapers come to bid on tree trimming,tree removal etc and more than one has shown up at a weekend with his young son. I honestly think nothing of it. I was more interested in how he was going to do the job, cost etc.

Comment

I bring my 10 year old son all the time. Actually is a great help. All of my customers appreciate me bringing him on the job.

The pic of me and him was when we were in a crawlspace for 5 hours fixing some pipe. Never complained once and was a big help handing me tools and material.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by gear junkie; 01-20-2014, 02:31 AM.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Not so fast, guys. If his family member looks like a thug or a tweaker or a zombie and our hero tries to look like a businessman I can see dumping him in the gutter. If he's a respectable chap, no harm done taking him along IMO.

Comment

I asked a customer today and will continue to do so ... They said they would rather have my undivided attention

Comment

Working...
                              X