23 year old sears water heater

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 23 year old sears water heater

I needed to drain it down to do some other plumbing . wouldn't drain ! ran a silver solder stick in the drain, and it did drain,but slow. Will give My customer a price on a 50 Gal. Brad white. Whats the difference in construction that gives these old W Htrs. it's long live, Vrs. the new ones ?
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: 23 year old sears water heater

I think they used superior/thicker metal with a good weld. They may have used a thicker lining as well. Just not sure really though.

I pulled an A.O. Smith last week installed, and never serviced to my knowledge, in 1978. I won't even install them now unless my hands are tied 'cause I've seen premature tank failure often enough in my opinion.

Rheem still has the plastic tanked "Marathon" water heater that is warranted to not have a tank leak for as long as you own your home. Expensive the last time I priced one though.

Comment

I have seen a Marathon blow all so , they did replace it no problem
      Not much quality any more just sell sell sell

Comment

When my parents bought their house in 1957 it had a cabinet style 40 gallon electric water heater in the kitchen. (I believe it was a Bradford White.) My father relocated it to the basement when the kitchen was remodeled in the early 60s. When I sold the house in 1997 the same WH has still being used. That's 40 years plus how long it was used prior to 1957 by the prior owners. They don't make them like they used to.

The water quality was very good and my Dad used to drain it every year.

Comment

I pump the water out and service them

no permits no hassles ... customers happy

If I can change the element and suck the sediment out ... I tell them if it don't leak keep it ...

Comment

The water in the city where I live chews through electric heaters quickly, but I'm kind of glad to hear the same gripes from other parts of the country. In my own home, I had an AO Smith fail in around 4 years, got a new tank under warranty. By the way, it didn't leak, it ruptured and flooded my garage on a Sat night. I caught the replacement leaking around three years and had enough. I installed the Marathon. Does come with a lifetime for the original owner. Only been in a year and a half so I can't rate it either way yet. But you're right Del; everything seems to be more and more disposable. That goes for water heaters and fixtures in general.. Rheem bought Marathon a while back; not sure if they've changed it at all or whether they kept everything the same and just essentially eliminated a competitor by buying them.

Comment

I Put in at least 25 marathons over the years, oldest one in the 15 year old range
              Never had to go back and look at any of them , then one day a thermostat went out on one , and the next day I had one pop
              You should be in good shape Rich

Comment

just my opinion... but I think it's the temp their set at... I go into 8 to 10 houses a day and I always look at the date on the permit on the water heater.... the gas ones I see that are 10 to 15 years old always have the temp setting lower than the factory setting.. some are more than 20 years old.... I always ask if the water is hot enough??? because to me set LOWER than the factory setting is just too cold.... but they always tell me they don't like it too hot...... everytime I replace a gas water heater that has leaked before the 6 year warranty it's always set to max! the hotter it's set for the shorter it lasts... in my opinion.

Comment

It is a gorgeous day down here in the Shoeshine State.
                  78 degrees, 28% humidity, not a cloud in the bright, blue sky.
                  While the weather is desirable, unfortunately the water chemistry
                  in many areas is rather harsh. And though that is a contributing
                  factor to WH longevity, I am of the popular opinion that they "just
                  don't make 'em like they used to." After all some of those older
                  ones were made of Monel stainless.

Comment

We took a Ruud Monel out of an attic just yesterday. It wasn't in service, just laying in the attic, but I'm pretty sure the scrap value in high so we offered to take it out for the owner. I have never seen a monel heater leak. The thermostats were bad about sticking and, well, you know....kaboom! I remember going to a home where they were complaining about noisy pipes. I opened the hot side of the kitchen faucet and steam came out. I quickly found the water heater, a monel, and it was dancing.

One of the suppliers here is now carrying HTP water heaters. Is anyone familiar with them. They have a stainless steel tank, no anode rod, and a lifetime warranty. They are a little pricey but for some homeowners the lifetime warranty would be worth it. I think I would personally only install the electrics. The gas are condensing so you would have to rerund the vent in pvc and it doesn't look like it would fit a conventional 30" galvy pan.
                    Commercial and Residential Water Heaters, Boilers, Solar Water Heaters - HTP
                    Last edited by SlimTim; 02-22-2014, 09:46 PM. Reason: added url
                    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks, Del. I'm going to take off the thermal expansion tank as I've got an extra 20gallon well tank on my pad I'm going to tie into my main. I don't want the weight of that tank resting on the top of the Marathon.. It makes me nervous. Once that bladder goes, the Marathon's connections are to a plastic/foam tank; probably the weak point in the unit.
                      Jim, I think you are 100% correct. The water chemistry doesn't help, but I suspect that heaters are like everything else these days: disposable. Recycle it and hope your new one gets past the warranty period.. Monel?? Stainless???

Comment

My dad had a "John Wood-Gulf Stream " tank that was installed in 1973 ran- for 32 years before developing a small leak at the bottom of the tank in 2005. It was a "rental tank" (popular in Ontario, Canada) and my dad bought it out from the utility company for $36 in 1981, when he purchased the house.

Comment

Doubtful stainless would do well on municipal water with chlorination as chlorides and stainless don't get along.

Comment

Working...
                          X