Need dodge sprinter feedback please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need dodge sprinter feedback please

I'm in the market for a used dodge sprinter. I have a E350 econaline now. I love the idea of a 1 ton standup , instead of a crawl over.If there is a similar Rig out there that's good ,I'd like to hear about it. I know nothing! Please educate Me . what's good and bad ,Thanks Tool
    Last edited by toolaholic; 02-11-2014, 10:59 PM.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Need dodge sprinter feedback please

Just wait till Ron shows up.....you'll never buy a sprinter. I have a 2001 chevy workhorse FT1061 and absolutely love it.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      Just wait till Ron shows up.....you'll never buy a sprinter. I have a 2001 chevy workhorse FT1061 and absolutely love it.
      Toldja'. 350/350 No problems. Let'em brag about their fuel mileage and think they're winning.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
        I'm in the market for a used dodge sprinter. I have a E350 econaline now. I love the idea of a 1 ton standup , instead of a crawl over. I know nothing! Please educate Me . what's good and bad ,Thanks Tool
        Repair bills on the Sprinters are extremely high. If you live where there's snow, the white paint on the 2006 and earlier sprinters is TERRIBLE, and allows rampant rust to develop. I read somewhere that the problem was eventually addressed by MB in later years but i don't know this for a fact. I understand that at 250k miles you can expect to have to rebuild the transmission. Cost? Anywhere from $10k - $20k. If glow plugs fail, and break off you may end up having to replace the head. (I learned this the hard way). Cost? $4k neighborhood.

Fuel economy is good I get over 20mpg loaded down, and it's nice to stand upright like a human in a van. However, I don't know that i could economically justify the purchase another Sprinter. But i do love mine.
        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

An appliance guy has one in our area and hates it. He's gone through two rear ends. He hardly drives it any more. It's just too unreliable. I have two Mitsubishi cab over trucks. One with a knapehide bed I bought brand new in 2008 and a 2000 fuso with a hackney bed. I love the hackney bed better. I've had to rework the knapehide bed. It's junk. These ride rough, but have dual caliper brakes on each wheel and can carry a lot of stuff. We have rear entry garages here and we can turn these things on a dime. The cab tilts forward to work on it, but so far at 110,000 miles and 260,000 we have real good luck. We get about 10 gpm in the city and close to 14 hwy. the 4 cylinder engines aren't going to win any races, but I'm very happy.
          "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

I have 30,000 miles and average 12.5 mpg and 12 mph over 5 years now. it's the dually 1 ton. glow plugs have been replaced under warranty as they all failed. I really didn't need the diesel, I need the headroom. if I do it again. I would look at the Nissan gas 1 ton .

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Has any one looked at the new Dodge van yet up close ?

Comment

I don't know anything about the Sprinter, but I did get a chance to talk to an employee of a plumbing company who was issued a new Nissan NV van with the V-8 and high ceiling and he raved about it. Not sure what the real world price is on the NV, but if it's even close to estimates in articles I've read, it would compare quite favorably to the Ford and Chevy vans many of us are using and considerably less than the Sprinter.

Comment

My Sprinter has 198K miles on the clock. The radiator split at a seam being its plastic it had to be replaced. I put some epoxy on the seam to slow the leak till the new radiator came in, a couple days prior it coming in my alternator went out. I took it to the repair shop, they gave me a loaner van to use till they get my truck fixed. Three weeks later, I finally got the call last night they are finished with the truck. The price came to just a bit over $2700 bucks. The radiator cost $450, the alternator(OEM) costs $990, plus hoses clamps and other misc. parts, labor was 7 1/2 hours. The reason went OEM on the alternator is about a year and half ago the original one went out , and we went with aftermarket unit to save a few hundred bucks ($450) but as we know now you get what you pay for. The mechanic also informed me of two known issues that he came across. My evaporator coil for the A/C is full of holes, and my transmission has a leak. I could care less about A/C, the transmission leak is a known leak by Mercedes and Dodge, but the repair is not a recall. The leak is the electrical connector that pugs into the transmission has bad O-rings. The parts are 20 bucks or so, I plan on fixing this this spring when I do my transmission service (change fluid and filter).

BTW if I took this to a dodge dealer or a Mercedes that services Sprinters, the bill would of been three times as much.
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  Ron's Facebook
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by DELCASE View Post
                    Has any one looked at the new Dodge van yet up close ?
                    The new Dodge is a Fiat (Fix It Again Tony), front wheel drive van. They offer it with a gas engine and a diesel. I have yet to take one for a spin. We have been looking at the Nissan NV, and Ford is dropping the E- series, and importing in the full size Transit. I like to see that up close as well. Now if I had the $$$ I would buy the Isuzu Reach Step Van.

Now if I can only find Joe Isuzu
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    Ron's Facebook
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

WOW, Thank You All ! Bob and Ben, I'm very interested in the Chevy workhorse ! I don't wan't one real long ! It'll be parked in front of our home ,or driveway. Approx. what kind of gas milage are You getting, please ? Short, like Me, works best .
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                        Repair bills on the Sprinters are extremely high. If you live where there's snow, the white paint on the 2006 and earlier sprinters is TERRIBLE, and allows rampant rust to develop. I read somewhere that the problem was eventually addressed by MB in later years but i don't know this for a fact. I understand that at 250k miles you can expect to have to rebuild the transmission. Cost? Anywhere from $10k - $20k. If glow plugs fail, and break off you may end up having to replace the head. (I learned this the hard way). Cost? $4k neighborhood.

Fuel economy is good I get over 20mpg loaded down, and it's nice to stand upright like a human in a van. However, I don't know that i could economically justify the purchase another Sprinter. But i do love mine.
                        The 2013 3/4 ton has given me few problems. The overall vehicle is durable. The after market parts are not so great. The aux coolant heater burned up inside electrically without even blowing a 15 amp fuse. Warranty replacement. OEM tires are the worst; bald at 8600 miles. Continental Vanco LT A/S. Don't get those. I put studded winter mastercrafts on the rear and left the crappy ones on the front.

Fuel economy is 17 mpg with 2.6L v6 diesel. Truck weighs (scale measured) 8200 Lbs.

Maintenance costs are high. Last 10K mile service includes 11 qts synthetic Mobil 1 oil, filter, 1 tube grease, DEF fluid and a few miscellaneous other things. Cost about $225. A fuel filter is $157, with a water separator flush and other fuel system maintenance comes to another $205. The fuel system issues you may not have depending on the quality of your fuel supply and other factors.

The paint scheme was cheapened to be able to sell to Dodge, Freightliner, etc. during the early years to better compete with Ford, GM, etc. The process was changed in 2010 when MB started selling directly. The early models also had problems with a crappy plastic turbo resonator theat would crack and cause the engine to drop the turbo and go into limp home mode.

Warranty is 3 years, 36,000 miles. It's probably last me 2 years at the rate I'm going now. A good mechanic or dealer, versed in MB diesel/mechanics/software will be necessary. Everything is computer monitored.

I ordered my truck with EVERY option except steering wheel controls, the fancy stereo, and the rear aux roof heat pump. I also added a top ladder rack and a rear door access ladder. Total cost delivered complete with the shelving I built, just under $59,000. Compare that to a new, basic Chevy "box" truck - basic, 10 foot, no options except cruise control and A/C, 8 cyl. 6L (i think) gasoline engine, same warranty, 8 mpg, the rear box being a Unicell bubble with a 1 year warranty - with dual opening rear doors and a sliding side panel (like the Sprinter) - cost $42,000 quoted (no tax or delivery fees, etc).

The last cube truck I drove was the same as the quoted one above. Brand new. The only difference was a standard Unicell cube with roll-up door. The door spring broke at 10K miles, went through 4 (FOUR) sets of front rotors under 20,000 miles, and an additional 2 warranty calls for resurfacing. Chewed up oil like no tomorrow. The downtime and annoying stop at just about every fuel station grew very old. The solid wood floor and walls inside the cube was a nice feature.
                        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                          WOW, Thank You All ! Bob and Ben, I'm very interested in the Chevy workhorse ! I don't wan't one real long ! It'll be parked in front of our home ,or driveway. Approx. what kind of gas milage are You getting, please ? Short, like Me, works best .
                          I think I get 8mpg. The engine is a chevy 350....easy to work on. It does fit in a standard parking space and I installed a back up camera which allows parallel parking in the tightest of spaces. Mine was a caltrans fleet vehicle. I replaced my fuel pump(there's an access door) and I think the water pump is going out....but it's a standard chevy 350 water pump. Oh yes....also changed the leaf springs....super easy to do. No complaints on this van, easy to work on, cheap and holds a ton of stuff. I'm 6'3" and stand up in it.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Isuzu Reach is my dream vehicle. I'm going to save up and walk into a dealer one day and slap down cash on one and be done with buying vehicles for the next decade. Tell then, I'm going to keep my GM Step Vans with there 350 V8 gas engines.
                            Will Rogers Plumbing
                            Moore, Oklahoma
                            (
                            405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
                            http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

One thing to consider Tool, my van is strong enough to go up an 8% grade at about 45mph. Going down however is scary. If you have a lot of dowgrades, I'd consider the MT45 just for the ability to install a jake brake.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X