Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frozen water main?

I have a customer in indiana.got the call no water
    Checked lines in crawl to the meeter, all open.so I thought ok its frozen by the footings going out to the b box.I heatedup the line under the footing with a tortch for at least 2 hours.Couldnt find the b box, called the city for a locate .they located it so I grabbed my turbo heater stuck a 8 " flue 90° over the heater blowing down in the b box.2 hrs later nothing but I was able to turn the round way as I was not able to earlier.So i go back in the crawl cut the k copper coming into the house near the footing and flare on a fitting and ball valve because .From the footing to the meeter is about 50 ' away in the crawl so I just wanted to make sure it wasn't frozen anywhere else and I could just focus on a direct shot from the footings back to the b box..Bought a new elecricians fish tape fished it in threw the 3/4"copper line 26' .b box is only 19' away could it be possible its frozen from the citys tap toward the b box.
    Last edited by sewermonster85; 02-16-2014, 04:04 PM. Reason: typos
    It's all downhill from here

Re: frozen water main?

Originally posted by sewermonster85 View Post
    Checked lines in crawl to the meeter, all open.so I thought ok its frozen by the footings going out to the b box.I heatedup the line under the footing with a tortch for at least 2 hours.Couldnt find the b box, called the city for a locate .they located it so I grabbed my turbo heater stuck a 8 " flue 90° over the heater blowing down in the b box.2 hrs later nothing but I was able to turn the round way as I was not able to earlier.So i go back in the crawl cut the k copper coming into the house near the footing and flare on a fitting and ball valve because .From the footing to the meeter is about 50 ' away in the crawl so I just wanted to make sure it wasn't frozen anywhere else and I could just focus on a direct shot from the footings back to the b box..Bought a new elecricians fish tape fished it in threw the 3/4"copper line 26' .b box is only 19' away could it be possible its frozen from the citys tap toward the b box.
    It sure is possible. It is happening up here.

Comment

Would I be able to use the hot shot? Clamp one end on to the water key and put it on the round way and clamp the other end on the sill cock close by? The sil cock is brass though, would the current conduct through brass and travel through it, or do I stub out a galvy nipple and go from there?

Comment

I don't have that kind of cold
        Can you use air to. Find out what works and what doesn't work

Comment

Would I be able to use the hot shot? Clamp one end on to the water key and put it on the round way and clamp the other end on the sill cock close by? The sil cock is brass though, would the current conduct through brass and travel through it, or do I stub out a galvy nipple and go from there?
          2 guys found out there insurance won't let them use a welder to unthaw a service, I think I would disconnect the meter and hook right to the incoming service and the key. Good luck

Comment

Have you succeed ?

Comment

Originally posted by red1234 View Post
              Have you succeed ?
              Not yet bud. dy. Unsuccessful with the water key and pipe thawer.going back tomorrow. I think it's frozen from the b box to the city tap .From b box to the meeter is open now .Going to finish digging tomorrow behind the b box I already have a hole dug in front of the b box about 8 ' away going to go back and clamp from my two openings and see what happens.if nothing then they might have to just wait till the weather breaks.

Comment

Turns out that it's frozen near the city tap which is across the street 40+'away .Neighbors being a butt head about his lawn .Turns out out here that the city has no responsibility for the water service.youre responsible all the way to the tap not the b box but all the way to the tap.the b box is theirs but you're responsible for it all.they said that since their main isn't frozen we have to dig it up.i told the customer to spend a few nights at the in laws and let the weather break.

Comment

Last deep freeze we had years ago we had whole city blocks of people with frozen services from the city tap to the homes. We hired a welder with the gasoline powered welder on the truck, pulled the meter and made sure there was no electrical connections on the pipe. Hooked the welder up to the line inside, and to the fire hydrant. Went from house to house till we got all the homes going.
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  Ron's Facebook
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I forgot to mention there was a couple homes that had poly supply pipe from the corporation stop to the B-box and from the Box till 3' from the house. These ones electric pipe thawing doesn't work. So we did the old well thawing trick. A bucket of water and a small pond pump in the bucket with 100' of plastic 3/8" pipe fed the pipe in till we hit a stop and ran the pump and slowly melted the ice.... just need to be quick pulling the hose out and shutting the valve off once it lets loose... and have a change of clothes handy.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    Ron's Facebook
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                      I forgot to mention there was a couple homes that had poly supply pipe from the corporation stop to the B-box and from the Box till 3' from the house. These ones electric pipe thawing doesn't work. So we did the old well thawing trick. A bucket of water and a small pond pump in the bucket with 100' of plastic 3/8" pipe fed the pipe in till we hit a stop and ran the pump and slowly melted the ice.... just need to be quick pulling the hose out and shutting the valve off once it lets loose... and have a change of clothes handy.

They call that Noodling up here.

Comment

the city of Kalamazoo just asked all residents to leave a pencil size stream of water coming out of a fixture just to keep mains and services from freezing,,,,,by next fridey we are supposed to be below zero again.

Plus we have all the roofs caving in from snow load. what a winter

Comment

Originally posted by red1234 View Post
                          Have you succeed ?
                          Finally got it .Had to cut open the street near the tap .ran the thawed between the round way and near the city main.some beach was frozen 6'from the stop at the tap.took 20 minutes to break free.The whole job took 5 hrs.cut open the street used the excevator , unthawed the pipe , back filled, compacted with the vibrator, re blacktop ed the street cleaned up all good to go.

Comment

How deep are these water line? We put them in 4+ feet in Toronto, but I have placed them in 5 feet deep on my properties- never had a line freeze. Where I have read about lines freezing in the winter, the lines were only 3 feet deep or less. Mostly because the ground was stone and contractors cut corners. By the way, if the pipe freezes on city property, they take care of it 100%. Excavation, repair, backfill and sod/asphalt repair in the spring. Neighbors can't say SQUAT about digging when it's on city property.

photo of a 5 foot deep trench for new 1" copper water line from property line to house.Click image for larger version

Name:	5 feet deep trench water line.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	559.3 KB
ID:	627941

Comment

Our city right now has 296 customers waiting for waterworks staff to come out and thaw them out. According to media reports Winnipeg 311 is telling customers who call that there is at least a 7 day wait for service if not longer.

City of Winnipeg Waste and Water has 3 thawing crews working dayshift 7 days a week and has added an overnight crew 5 days a week. Priority is being given to schools, hospitals, daycare facilities and residents with special health needs.

This winter has been the highest number of requests for thawing in 35 years according to a city spokesperson.

Comment

Working...
                              X