BBB = Extortion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BBB = Extortion?

You do not need to pay or become a member in any way shape or form to get an A+.
    This is false. Go to their web site, click on "how to join/renew". It immediately takes you to a page where you enter your information and payment information. There is no other way to claim your company or enter information as far as I can see. You dont have to be "accredited" but you have to be a member. And to be a member, you have to pay. Only accredited members get all their services.

So, I looked up my business. I don't exist according to them, which is fine with me. I entered a false business to initiate a "stake". Check this out (all false and made up info):

Click image for larger version

Name:	a85a1652794c236fb95dfcbed28b40cb.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	18259

And that's just to start.

Here's a quote from what you're required to do:

E. In its relationship with BBB:
    • meet all applicable standards within this Code of Business Practices
    • cooperate with BBB’s activities and efforts to promote voluntary self-regulation within the business’ industry
    • honor any settlements, agreements or decisions reached as an outcome of a BBB dispute resolution process
    • complete the required application and pay all monetary obligations to BBB in a timely manner
    To me, that means, the more you pay on time, the better your rating becomes. Or, if not paid on time, the rating drops. So how can rating NOT be tied to money to the BBB?

Many of their ratings are based on the "opinion" and their opinions are non-negotiable:

OVERVIEW OF BBB GRADE

You've been a member since 1988 and you are accredited. Let's try an experiment. Don't pay your monies owed to them for the next 2 years. Let's see what happens to your rating?
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

We get lots of calls from people that found us on the BBB website. I even had people that just wanted an estimate for a job calling me back saying I was a little more than the other guys but our A+ rating verses the other guys D rating convinced her to hire us.
      I have had two complaints from the BBB by crazed customers basically trying to get out of paying for the work done. I replied to both of them and it all went away. But I can't think of one time anyone ever mentioned finding me on the BBB. I'm going to go look see what my rating is.
      Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Just looked up 1 of the largest plumbing companies in the nation. Shows they're not accredited and only 3 complaints and rating.

Its all bs. They were an f and now they're nothing at all with only 3 complaints. How can they not be rated and be 1 of the largest in the country?

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Well... I looked myself up and we have an A+ rating and the two complaints have magically disappeared. They had the dates of beginning the business and the location correct. Along with the date we Incorporated. I guess not having any complaints in 32 years ain't all bad.
          Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Dhal22 View Post
            I called a BBB salesman on his bluff once, the same guy that had called me years before that, and caught him in a bald faced lie. I told him he was a low life piece of $#it and should be ashamed of ruining the reputation of the BBB. He was later outed in the local news as a shyster. They called me over the years a few more times but gave up after I continued to ridicule them and their business model. Them and the YP salesman, I grin when they call, cause I unload on them.

David

David

Makes you feel good doesn't it. Being a small businessman we do have some compassion but not when they lie and cheat. One point to realize:- we are all still here to get the phone call from whoever. How long do these maggots hang around before they have to run away and find a new rip-off scheme to inflict on us hardworking family businesses

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              Just looked up 1 of the largest plumbing companies in the nation. Shows they're not accredited and only 3 complaints and rating.

Its all bs. They were an f and now they're nothing at all with only 3 complaints. How can they not be rated and be 1 of the largest in the country?

Rick.

Rick, how large is large. Are they a franchise company or just one company with heaps of blokes???

I am with you too on this. Anyone can buy a rating.

Comment

Believe what you want. I can show you 1000's of businesses that are not a member, and have an A+ rating. If you become a member and do not pay your dues, well guess what.. they will lower your rating due to you not upholding your part of the contract. But after a while of becoming a non-member from being a member, and all past dues paid, they will not hold it against you.

But I guess a company like ours that has dealt with the BBB since the 1985, doesn't know what we are talking about. So keep on bashing the BBB, while we keep getting jobs for being with them.
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Ron, you're the only one that has anything positive to say about them.

But there's a reason why others bash them and I've written about them for years. There's a reason why 20/20 did a full news story about the los angeles branch. And there's a reason why they were thrown out of the bbb.

For me, all they did was make up lies and try to extort money from me several times a year. How else would that office president make $600,000 per year?

I've never advertised and never needed to pay a dime to make the phone ring. Yet the bbb attempts to steal money by fabricating lies that customers of mine are researching me on their website. A website that I don't show up on. All lies just to add to his $600,000. Paycheck.

Seems like ased on the forum response, I'm not the only 1 getting hustled for money.

Then again, I'm not working for strangers either.

Rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

UPDATE:

Having responded to the BBB's inquiry of my business all seems well.

I must admit I got flustered with this whole thing but I calmed down.

Calling the BBB several times I got through to the woman handling my case.
                    I asked her if I could just be left off the BBB list altogether as there were no complaints against me.

Stating that was worried about data privacy and I had been in business before ( I tried to retire once for five years)
                    and started my business in 1974 I sweet talked the woman into giving me a A+ rating without spending any money. (so far)
                    I also asked not to be bothered by sales people.

Again, so far so good.

Sorry if I riled up anyone to much.

Comment

I get a call every quarter or so the BBB. Somewhat amusingly I received one just today. I simply tell them all my work comes from referrals, I don't advertise and I can't take on more customers at the moment. Which is true. Then they leave me alone for a few months. Angie's list is now calling and emailing, they get the same response.
                      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Angies called me today too. Same story.

Rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Unbelievably, during this discussion, I received a call from a customer based upon him researching us on the BBB website and sold the job. That is the only BBB related sale I can remember. Even better, I'm not a member.

David

Comment

Working...
                          X