Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you ready for the 2015 water heater rule change?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Are you ready for the 2015 water heater rule change?

    I did research Bradford White for energy efficient gas water heaters. Bradford currently sells a 40 gal. N/G high efficiency atmospheric vent water heater with an energy factor of .64 so it actually exceeds the 2015 law. The water heater is wider with 2" insulation but not too much wider. All should be good to go for the gas 40's and 50's. Not much of a change except the skinny 40's and 50's will be gone forever. I'll miss them.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Are you ready for the 2015 water heater rule change?

      http://www.bradfordwhite.com/sites/d...15-article.pdf

      Thanks. I think that the government shouldnt dictate "energy standards" just because the infrastructure cant handle the load. for example, if i pay my bill as i should and i want to use the max supply my meter and wires can handle, then i should be allowed to. when they pay my bills then they can dictate to me what i can and cant do.
      ~~

      ... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Are you ready for the 2015 water heater rule change?

        Well look at the bright side guys,,,

        Do you think those "monkeys without tails" with jailhouse tattoos ,missing teeth and a rap sheet a mile long that install water heaters from H ome depot and Lowes for wages are gonna install these "bad boys"???

        I dont think so.It sounds to me like it will take a Licensed Journeyman Plumber with a lot of hands on experience and training ,willing take on more training ,,,,

        And hold on to your hats guys,,,God knows how many call backs for adjusting and "tweeking" these things will be involved,,,Guess what? The only sensible way to do it is to build that cost into your prices,,,,

        Just my 2 bits,,,God Help Us,,,

        Dave Doyle
        Rapid Rhino Plumbing
        Monrovia Calif

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Are you ready for the 2015 water heater rule change?

          Is it legal for someone to work "under" your license?
          MISTERGATO mentions licensed journeyman plumbers

          So how can American home services the service contract for SEARS
          have installers without plumbing licenses installing gas water heaters?
          The installer aka service technician..told me he works under his boss's license
          which right now I am doubting as they also do electrical so perhaps he just has
          a general contractor license?

          Never the less are they legal? And if not how and to whom do I report this??????


          Oh..my new water heater when working is awfully noisy, three times noisier than my
          old gas fired water heater. Also If I just turn on the hot water the water heater fires up!
          and it runs for a while!

          Cactus Man

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Are you ready for the 2015 water heater rule change?

            Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
            http://www.bradfordwhite.com/sites/d...15-article.pdf

            Thanks. I think that the government shouldnt dictate "energy standards" just because the infrastructure cant handle the load. for example, if i pay my bill as i should and i want to use the max supply my meter and wires can handle, then i should be allowed to. when they pay my bills then they can dictate to me what i can and cant do.
            I agree.

            I'm of the opinion that some guvmint agencies such as the EPA, continue to make and implement new laws simply as a means to perpetuate their own existence.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Are you ready for the 2015 water heater rule change?

              Originally posted by ironranger View Post
              I did research Bradford White for energy efficient gas water heaters. Bradford currently sells a 40 gal. N/G high efficiency atmospheric vent water heater with an energy factor of .64 so it actually exceeds the 2015 law. The water heater is wider with 2" insulation but not too much wider. All should be good to go for the gas 40's and 50's. Not much of a change except the skinny 40's and 50's will be gone forever. I'll miss them.
              These r-16/r-20 insulated heaters have been required here for new construction for several years now. In older tight closets, I still use the standard foam insulated heater. If I have room for the better insulated heater, I will install it. But figure a 2" larger footprint. Price is the same for both heaters.

              As far as saving energy, it's all bull ****, my tankless saves me $5.00 a month over my tank heater in gas. Now if my tank heater had a spark ignition and not a standing pilot, the numbers would be similar. Of course last week when the power went out I saved money as my tankless wouldn't work and I wasn't going to take a cold shower.

              Rick.
              phoebe it is

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Are you ready for the 2015 water heater rule change?

                The majority of water heaters in this area are installed in the attic space. It is already a challenge (especially now that I am older), to get them up the pull down stairs. They barely fit now. And the clearances to the roof rafters are already slim margins. There will have to be a lot of relocating around here.
                "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

                Comment


                • #23
                  Have to accept it !

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    So, it sounds like the heat pump water heater is the way to go for anything larger than 40 gallons. All of my rentals are 40 gallon, with a couple fo 30's, guess it will be change over to electric water heaters as needed.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                      Re: Are you ready for the 2015 water heater rule change?

                      EVERY PROBLEM IS AN OPPORTUNITY FOR INVENTION AND $$$$$$ Clothes dryers are Next ! This is My solar operated cloths dryer, idea! Using a 4" pulley at a window , install another to a tree about 25 ft. away. Run 3/8" cotton rope in a circle over these pulleys and secure ends together with and brass auto adjuster [i'm about to patent]. Using My wooden pins ,kept in MyWire and cloth Pin bag [ also to be patented] attach all the laundry on the lower line as You rotate the pulleys. This exercise also helps build upper chests.
                      Mr tool,you know that will not work,where/how would you add the bounce?

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                        Re: Are you ready for the 2015 water heater rule change?

                        EVERY PROBLEM IS AN OPPORTUNITY FOR INVENTION AND $$$$$$ Clothes dryers are Next ! This is My solar operated cloths dryer, idea! Using a 4" pulley at a window , install another to a tree about 25 ft. away. Run 3/8" cotton rope in a circle over these pulleys and secure ends together with and brass auto adjuster [i'm about to patent]. Using My wooden pins ,kept in MyWire and cloth Pin bag [ also to be patented] attach all the laundry on the lower line as You rotate the pulleys. This exercise also helps build upper chests.
                        Mr tool,you know that will not work,where/how would you add the bounce?

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I'll stick with my indirect WH and my oil fired boiler for now.
                          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X