Bradford White gas tanks with Icon gas valve

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bradford White gas tanks with Icon gas valve

Anyone ever have to change the thermopile on one of these things. We've installed a lot over the last few years and I recently started wondering. Read a few items here and there, most of the bradford stuff is pretty vague and discussions on this forum are few and far between, so I figured I would start one so we can pool our knowledge. Thanks in advance

Re: Bradford White gas tanks with Icon gas valve

I love BW heaters and have had zero problems with them. All have worked out of the box (more than I can say about 2-3 other brands) and have had no call backs. We do have a customer that had another plumber install a BW that has had flameout problems but couldn't solve the problem. After pressure testing with a manometer (active and passive) and resistance testing on the ignition wiring, etc, etc, we traced the problem down to a failed underground gas line, so far no recent flameouts.

That's our experiences..............

David

Comment

Ever had to change the thermopile? Anyone?

Comment

Have you ever had to change one? I've installed Bradford for years, never had to change a thermocouple on one. In fact I've never had a call back on a Bradford that I can think of.

Comment

No Thermopile, but I had to change 2 gas valves, 2 circuit boards, and I have had 4 leakers that failed before warranty in the last 8 years. Maybe 6 issues out of about a thousand heaters or so. I have been having customers tell me about bad reviews on line for Bradfordwhite, and I ask them what are they comparing it too. I pull out other brands that barely last 6 years. I think it may depend on where you live. Here in TX, I have really good luck with Bradfordwhite.
          "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

I have changed thermopiles, gas valves, and burners. None of these had drip legs installed to protect them. I've changed leaking tanks, some with fully depleted anodes, some not. Thermopiles aren't as annoying as Rheem thermocouples unless the tank is in a smitty pan. If the tank isn't raised up on bricks or something, be prepared to cut the pan.

Comment

Hello All,

It's been a while since I have been on here. I have been really busy. Hope everyone is making lots of money. I have to update you on my experiences with the Bradfordwhite water heaters. First of all, for my area, I believe it is the best of all of them, but it was better until this Icon valve disaster. I have had to back on over 24 heaters in 2 years and all have failed around the 2 year mark. The manufacture mailed me a couple of cases and I have gone through them all. I recently found out that Houston, Tx plumbers got together and they are able to Purchase Bradfordwhite heaters with the White Rogers valve. Its still a sealed burner, but there is no computer board to go bad. 90% of the heaters I change out in this area are in the attic, and I believe it is the heat and humidity causing the problems. My supplier and I have been trying to order the heaters like Houston gets, but we have been told that we can't because of our area. I climbed as high I could get, and I got mad. I looked at other heaters, but they have worse problems (in my opinion). I decided to create a petition to see if anyone else out there was having problems and or would like the option to purchase bradfordwhite heaters without the Icon valve and have a white rogers instead. Here is the Petition, if you are interested. Again, I love you Bradfordwhite, but you told me that no one else seems to be having problems. Let's see, shall we?
              "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

the first time i had to change a bradford icon gas valve it was a pain in the butt to get that pickle fork to release the valve. had to do a little bending to get it in there. fortunately by having the new valve in hand, i was able to see the area i needed to engage. good part is no need to drain or shut the water with the built in well. even though i don't spec bradfords, i've still had to service some gas valves and leakers under warranty.

my brother in law has 2 heaters in his attic in houston, i'll ask him what brand and what's his experience has been.

Rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Never had to replace just the thermopile. My repairs on Bradford's are very rare, I think I can still count on two hands the number of Bradford's that needed service. When they do fail its usually due to no drip leg, those valves seem very touchy wit moisture /debris. I replace control valve, install a drip leg and no issues.

Comment

A thermocouple is a sensor that is used to measure temperature. It consists of two wires made out of different metals. When these metals are welded together, a junction is formed. The temperature can be calculated by working out the voltage when a temperature change is detected.
                    1- Turn off gas supply to water heater. Rotate knob of combination
                    thermostat/gas valve to â??OFFâ? position.
                    2- Remove outer jacket door.
                    3- Remove right side of inner door per SERVICE PROCEDURE RG-I, steps 3a through 3c.
                    4- Disconnect thermocouple from combination thermostat/gas valve. Locate other end of thermocouple inside of combustion chamber and remove from pilot bracket. Pull firmly pulling away from the pilot assembly.
                    5- Install new thermocouple into pilot bracket making certain the thermocouple is fully engaged into the pilot bracket. Position thermocouple against left side inner door flange at its original position. Connect other end of thermocouple to combination thermostat/gas valve (finger tight + ¼ turn).

www.draintecmidlandsltd.co.uk
                    Last edited by crismartin875; 12-19-2014, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X