Expansion tanks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Expansion tanks

the toilet was probably doing it for a long time. when the tank failed the noise was unmasked.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
      I don't have much experience with them. Since our city water meters don't have check valves in them, there is not much need for them because the heated water can push back through the cold lines when the pressure builds (apparently even past the heat traps installed in the tank.)
      Of course we them in the systems with circ pumps and tankless.
      My question: is there a scenario where an old or faulty expansion tank can cause a knocking in the pipes when the hot water is turned on or when a circ pump is running? It is not water hammer and the knocking is about 2 beats/sec. Also, it is not loose pipes. And it is sporadic. It sounds localized near the ex.tank. Perhaps it could be the flap in the check valve slamming. The other time this occurred there wasn't a check valve,just a pressure regulating valve.
      It sounds to me like you have a feedback loop taking place. I've seen this event three times. Twice involved a certain type of showerhead coupled with loose piping elsewhere. Both times the problem was solved by replacing the showerhead. Even though the event was caused by a balcock shutting off creating a little shock, and the other was a wash machine solenoid shutting off. The other event was a cracked ceramic disk in a kitchen sink faucet cartridge. All these events had a rythmic banging that would occur every half second or so and would continue for several minutes if left alone unless someone would turn some water on which would terminate the event.

If possible, try isolating plumbing fixtures in the house for periods of time until the banging problem doesn't occur for a period of time. Then you can experiment with the fixture to try and figure out what about it is creating the problem. (should you care to do so.) I'm betting it's not an expansion tank.

Good luck!!
      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
        It sounds to me like you have a feedback loop taking place. I've seen this event three times. Twice involved a certain type of showerhead coupled with loose piping elsewhere. Both times the problem was solved by replacing the showerhead. Even though the event was caused by a balcock shutting off creating a little shock, and the other was a wash machine solenoid shutting off. The other event was a cracked ceramic disk in a kitchen sink faucet cartridge. All these events had a rythmic banging that would occur every half second or so and would continue for several minutes if left alone unless someone would turn some water on which would terminate the event.

If possible, try isolating plumbing fixtures in the house for periods of time until the banging problem doesn't occur for a period of time. Then you can experiment with the fixture to try and figure out what about it is creating the problem. (should you care to do so.) I'm betting it's not an expansion tank.

Good luck!!
        I guess I should have read all the posts before replying to the first post.

Good job!
        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
        X