Sink Setter Hardware

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sink Setter Hardware

Maybe I have been living under a rock but I just found this great hardware for setting an under-counter sink. I am really looking forward to trying these out.

Sink Setter - Under Mount Sink Installation Bracket

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: Sink Setter Hardware

Looks like a handy setup. We never, ever, have to install an undermount sink.

For whatever reason, the countertop people always install them.

Comment

he keeps talking about 7/16'' bolts to secure the bars. the bolts are 1/4'' which take a 7/16'' nut driver.

also I can't ever see dropping a sink down through the cabinet and swapping it out.

a simple piece of unistrut will easily do the same thing and would be less expensive.

the counter top contractor was always responsible for the undermount kitchen sinks. lav sink I did thousands and thousands.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I'm sure the main clients are counter guys but this takes the stupid out of it. As for uni-strut, for the cost, versatility and convenience, I'd take these all day long. I am also looking at these for when we have a project with damaged or failing sinks.

Mark

Comment

not sure mark, unistrut is easily cut to length and a few 1/4'' spring nuts and bolts, remember for retrofitting, you need to be creative. the video really applied when there is no sink or top in the way. since most cabinets are 3/4'' thick or less, particle board, a strong mount is not as easily accomplished.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

The last under mount sink I hooked up the counter top guy used that set up
            Looked good and easy

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              not sure mark, unistrut is easily cut to length and a few 1/4'' spring nuts and bolts, remember for retrofitting, you need to be creative. the video really applied when there is no sink or top in the way. since most cabinets are 3/4'' thick or less, particle board, a strong mount is not as easily accomplished.

rick.
              I think what you need to look at is these things are probably the cost of 15-minutes of your billable hours. They look to be totally adjustable and easy to install. If you feel you can field fabricate and install your uni-struct bracket, including fab time and materials, cheaper than 15-minutes of your billable rate, have at it. We may just have to set up a couple of mock installations and have you and Ben go at it Ridgid Forum competition style.

This is a local business for us. The owner called me within hours of my RFI email to discuss the various options. You can tell by looking at the product that these things are evolving as new challenges come up. They are not the only company building undermount brackets but they appear to be the best I've seen yet.

Mark
              Last edited by ToUtahNow; 03-05-2014, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Mark, in 38 years, ive never had to undermount a kitchen sink. Its always been the tile man or granite man. Of course a self rimming or hoodie ring mount, ive done thousands of.

Undermount lav sinks typically have inserts mounted in the stone or cultured marble. The 1 job the granite guy tried to glue them in place, probably 20 fell down within years and I went back to grind out the glue, then epoxy the sink back and use a bottle jack to hold it up and then secure it with a couple 1x2s then remove my bottle jack and reconnect the sink.

At least out here, the counter top contractor is the 1 who sets an undermounted kitchen sink.

Cutting 2 pieces of unistrut and a couple more cleats or runners better not take 15 minutes. Especially when you're doing new construction and not 1 job here and there.

What is the cost of the kit?

Rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  Mark, in 38 years, ive never had to undermount a kitchen sink. Its always been the tile man or granite man. Of course a self rimming or hoodie ring mount, ive done thousands of.

Undermount lav sinks typically have inserts mounted in the stone or cultured marble. The 1 job the granite guy tried to glue them in place, probably 20 fell down within years and I went back to grind out the glue, then epoxy the sink back and use a bottle jack to hold it up and then secure it with a couple 1x2s then remove my bottle jack and reconnect the sink.

At least out here, the counter top contractor is the 1 who sets an undermounted kitchen sink.

Cutting 2 pieces of unistrut and a couple more cleats or runners better not take 15 minutes. Especially when you're doing new construction and not 1 job here and there.

What is the cost of the kit?

Rick.
                  ...and that young man, is why I still consider you a rookie. You have a couple of years left before you catch up to me.

I won't bore everyone else as we have talked on the phone since this and I believe you have a better understanding now. What I will do though, the owner contacted me and offered me a free sink-setter to try out. You, Adam, Ben and I (plus anyone else interested) will try it out and give a real world review.

Mark

Comment

To give a little background of why I went on this quest to find a better mouse trap was because of my daughter Jana. She recently purchased a foreclosure which had a mold problem. It was the typical Granite kitchen with an undermount sink that was leaking. The home inspector noticed it and put it in his inspection report. She was aware of the problem and did not want it to happen again.

To get the remediation clearance was $3,000 plus the counter top and half 0f the cabinets had to come out. By the time she is done this will cost between $15,000 and $20,000. This is all due to an improperly installed sink.

To those who say, not my problem, the counter guy does it, think again. I have worked as an expert witness for construction litigation for 25-years. When and if one of your jobs go sideways and has a problem link this, the jury doesn't care who did what. All they know it was the sinks fault so the plumber shares the blame. In other words, double check your counter guy and accept nothing less than perfection from him.

So my new plan is for anyone who cares to join us, Jana will be installing a new stainless steel Ruvati sink in her new counter top. Depending on scheduling, I say we meet at Jana's and check a sink-setter out. If for some reason the scheduling does not work out, we will meet for dinner and pass a sink-setter around.

Mark

Comment

Do you have some pictures of this improper installation and damage caused? I don't think we have countertop installers here that are better than anywhere else, however, I can't recall of even hearing of a fallen or leaking sink at the countertop connection.

Every one I can think of that I have worked on had the granite overhung into the bowl at least a 1/4". Even if not sealed properly they would have to do an abnormal amount of splashing & constantly filling it to the edge to seem to get $10,000.00-$20,000.00 worth of mold damage. Plus just never looking into the cabinet underneath at all.

Not saying it doesn't happen, I know you've seen it. Just seems so rare and a certain amount of responsibility to notice some things earlier.

Feels like someone has their roof redone, within a warranted time period they notice a water spot in the ceiling, they ignore it or never mention it to the roofer, it gets worse and worse. Later, the place gets repoed by the bank, a home inspector finds the problem, then everyone tries to sue the roofer and/or their insurance company.

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
                        Do you have some pictures of this improper installation and damage caused? I don't think we have countertop installers here that are better than anywhere else, however, I can't recall of even hearing of a fallen or leaking sink at the countertop connection.

Every one I can think of that I have worked on had the granite overhung into the bowl at least a 1/4". Even if not sealed properly they would have to do an abnormal amount of splashing & constantly filling it to the edge to seem to get $10,000.00-$20,000.00 worth of mold damage. Plus just never looking into the cabinet underneath at all.

Not saying it doesn't happen, I know you've seen it. Just seems so rare and a certain amount of responsibility to notice some things earlier.

Feels like someone has their roof redone, within a warranted time period they notice a water spot in the ceiling, they ignore it or never mention it to the roofer, it gets worse and worse. Later, the place gets repoed by the bank, a home inspector finds the problem, then everyone tries to sue the roofer and/or their insurance company.

Keep in mind when I have been called out to a 400 unit project where this is a know problem, I will inspect 100 units in 10-days to extrapolate the number of failures. That is a bunch of sinks to inspect. If 30 are found to have failed we extrapolate a total of 120 repairs. Generally speaking the sinks do no fall, they separate.

The actual mold damage to Jana's house was probably less than $400. The problem was the cost of the mold testing, tearing out the granite and removing the damaged cabinets. Now she has to replace the cabinets and the countertop. She knew this was going to be an issue going in so some of the money had to be held in escrow. The cabinets, countertop and plumbing she is paying outside of escrow.

Mark

Comment

A few things cause a sink to fail at the counter top. Most common is a poor caulking job at the sink to underside of the granite. Or a bad joint that allows water in at the splash to conter top. The water leaks and damages the wood supporting the cabinet and sink. Then the sink starts to sag.

Also you have people that ignore a plugged air gap and allow it to overflow the air gap which is never sealed 100% to the counter top. Especially a tile top. Then there is settling and water seeps into the wood. Then you have the homeowners and house keepes that spray water all over the counter top.

Show me 1 faucet that's 100% watertight. Why do you think its so hard at times to unscrew an old faucet. Because a leak rusted up the locking nuts and you can't turn them anymore.

There's also the poor install where they seam the granite right at the mid sink mark and the joint fails instead of cutting it out of 1 solid slab.

Nothing happens overnight. It takes years of water damage to rott the support holding a sink up.

But if this bracket helps to mkeep the sink tight to the underside, then maybe the cauling will help keep the water out too. But there's several reason why a sink pulls away from the top. And most reasons are preventable.

Rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Scheduling got a little crazy with Jana's remodel so we were not able to invite everyone out. I still wanted to update everyone on my thought and post some pictures.

My overall impression is the build quality is very good and I found it to be super adjustable. Although the sink we used was a 16 gauge stainless steel, 10" deep sink, this would handle the heaviest of cast iron sink as well.

Mark
                            Attached Files

Comment

This is still a work in progess but we are moving along. They showed up on the 27th to install the new counter tops. The counter top guys were not familiar with the Sink Setter hardware. However, they were nice enough to give up a few minutes to play with the hardware.

The sink was a breeze to set. We were able to move it around to wherever we wanted to. It was a very clean way to set a sink and I was totally impressed with the results.

The remodel itself is still a work in progress. I will update her remodel as she goes along but for now I wanted to do the Sink Setter hardware review I promised.

Mark
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by ToUtahNow; 03-30-2014, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X