Step Up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Step Up

Quit relying on crutches and learn your trade.
    sigpic

Re: Step Up

Cast iron (service weight, no hub), pvc (schdule 35, 40 80), copper (dwv, m, l , k), ductile iron, acid waste, rain leaders, carriers, Ridgid 300, Ridgid anything, pex, water heaters, boilers, medical gas, unistrut, greasetraps, catch basins, rpz's, bfp's, prv's, directional boring, pipe bursting, continuous waste and vent, clinical sink, carriers, jetting, chill water, cooling tower, weld pipe, flush valve, what else? Oh yeah, more please!

David

Comment

You forgot for cast iron Heavy Duty and Extra Heavy. And what are the different types of lead pipe?
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
        Quit relying on crutches and learn your trade.
        ???
        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Pex, pro press, flex supplies, AAV's...................
          sigpic

Comment

Your post is step up. Not step back.

Rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Indeed it is. I consider products that can be installed by. 4th grader to be a step in the wrong direction.

Use pex, throw your tape measure and level away, leave the torch at the shop.

Use an AAV, throw away your drills and sawzall, tape measure, levels and understanding of construction and framing not too mention your ability to properly size vents. I mean why not toss those pages right out of the code book altogether?

Use flexible supplies and throw away your tape measure, bending tools, wrenches and ability to discern what looks good and what looks like crap.

Use pro press and toss your torch and your money out the window. See sentence above.

Embrace them all and others and toss your plumbing license because anybody can do your job.
              sigpic

Comment

Are we going to have another long pro-press thread I still remember the last one.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
                  Are we going to have another long pro-press thread I still remember the last one.
                  Maybe on his end.

For me it's a 5 second job.

Rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

nobody could tell me why we put shut offs up so high in cabinets when I was an apprentice

I thought it was code. never made sense to make a valve so hard to reach and connect the supplies to.

then I found out it was done that way because it was always done that way and that was the only reason.

Not all change is good but things change and often times they need to

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post

, throw away your drills and sawzall,

you want the job to be hard just don't allow sawsalls and drilsl. nothing but hand saws, chisels and brace and bits. I bet that is what guys said when the 1st right angle drills were on the job sights. I bet those 2 tools sped jobs up and made life easier than pex and propress combined.

advances in our trade will come from water treatment, grey and maybe black water reuse, plumbing for ageing populations. not from the type of connectors we use to hold pipe together.

unfortunately plumbers will go kicking and crying into the future instead of leading the charge. Sorry to say it will be engineers and buerocrats that will take use there.

the connecters we use to hold pipe together doesn't concern me. nor do I care how we vent a system as long as it works. We have bigger fish we should be frying to advance our trade
                      Last edited by saysflushable; 03-09-2014, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Some of this I can agree on NH, some not. The evolution of all trades or manufacturing that you have ever seen in your life or will see is a move toward "easier". People stopped making their own socks long ago. Then they moved toward other things or maybe even created other industries of the free market.

PVC-DWV overall and in most cases is an evolution toward "easier" and superior. Some other plastics for distributing some things as well.

That's about it though. Many of the other installation methods that have arisen were never created due to a need or to be a superior method. They were created for the lazy person i.e. easier and the manufacturer to get richer by doing so.

PEX
                        Polybutylene
                        ProPress
                        Sharbite type fittings
                        AAV's

It's like any business however. The "easier" you make it, higher numbers will enter into it. No stopping it though. Can't say that's a good thing, but people aren't gonna' start making their socks anytime soon.

Comment

No hub made it easier to assemble cast iron. Not even sure anyone of my supply house stock bell and spigot pipe or fittings. Other than a closet ring, there are no more lead joints out here.

No hub cut down on labor and cost. We still use cast iron pipe and fittings. Just like we still use copper tubing, but with propress fittings.

Don't see to many electricians bending conduit no less threading ridgid pipe anymore. Sure in industrial settings and hospitals, but there were times I would see ridgid threaded conduit in wood framed homes.

Most construction cost savings is a result of labor, and labor rates are not getting cheaper. Cut out the excess labor and it brings down the cost.

Rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

• NHMaster3015
                            NHMaster3015 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            What is going on out there in la la land? Not bending conduit? There is a crew working the same commercial job we are on that spends all day, everyday bending conduit and threading conduit. You better believe the electricians union isn't letting all this DIY crap ruin their trade.

Why in hell do you want to cut labor? Who are you in business for?

• PLUMBER RICK
                            PLUMBER RICK commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Don't see to many electricians bending conduit no less threading ridgid pipe anymore. Sure in industrial settings and hospitals, but there were times I would see ridgid threaded conduit in wood framed homes.

Do you read what I post or just between the lines? So I'll make it clearer.

Didn't say all electricians or jobsites. I even installed emt in my shop and my garage for the exposed conduit.

Face it, romex, bx, aluminum , steel, plastic flex has replaced ridgid and emt where its acceptable.

Just like hot mopping has replaced lead and copper shower pans. While pvc liners are starting to replace hot mopping.

Sure, there's exceptions, but the norm is not what it was 40 years ago.

Rick.

Also, methods have been changed to accomodate for those higher labor rates.
                          What I mean is to help keep the overall cost down less time consuming methods
                          of assembling systems have been developed and they caught on with builders and
                          project managers because they brought the overall project cost down.

They're looking at dollars per sq foot and to them if the money goes to more expensive materials with lower installation costs or to lower material costs but longer (and therefore more expensive) labor hours they're gonna go with whatever gets the job done sooner most times.
                          Last edited by Bob D.; 03-10-2014, 02:57 AM.
                          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

The trade has easier materials no doubt, but the Plumbing Trade itself has never been better.

If you would rather squeeze milk from a tit every morning, by all means go for it. I'll go buy my galleon....

I agree there are alot of pansey out there now, but there are also a lot a guys eager to learn and are evolving with the trade.
                            Will Rogers Plumbing
                            Moore, Oklahoma
                            (
                            405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
                            http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Working...
                            X