Plastic PEX Fittings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic PEX Fittings

The difference between them in cost is large. Other than that I don't know anything about them.

Longevity?
    Durability?
    Pros and cons?
    What are they made of?

What say you?
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Re: Plastic PEX Fittings

We have been using the for about (4) years with no problems.

We only use Pro Pex rings I am afraid the crimp rings might crack the fitting.

We have ran into a couple retro fits that because we had to crimp the fitting we did not use them. I don't remember why & I was not there, but we have both, so it did not matter.

I also used them in my own house.

Yes they cost a lot less & weigh a lot less too.

It takes a man to pick up one my totes of brass fittings.

We use them, because most of the jobs we do are on well water.

Comment

Using the brass fittings helps me sleep at night but then I was forced to use the plastic fittings back in the polybutylene days. Also, higher quality appearance to the customer is worth the cost difference.

David

Comment

I only use metallic unless there has been proof of a ph problem. Crimp type have been used here for a year or so without issue. But issues don't typically show up in the first 5 years or so on plastics a lot of time.

Comment

with Uponor we are stuck with PLS (Plastic fittings) :-( t's and Elbows

but with the metallic Ring Pex we still get the brass fittings

Comment

I've had no issues with the plastic fittings, admittedly the only issues i've had have with the brass were on improperly sized recirc systems, can't blame the material for a bad install
            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I use the EP Uponor fittings. Never had a issue, done thousands of connections. There better than the no lead crap out nowadays anyway.
              Will Rogers Plumbing
              Moore, Oklahoma
              (
              405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
              http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

[QUOTE=MR.FUDD;414256]We have been using the for about (4) years with no problems.

We only use Pro Pex rings I am afraid the crimp rings might crack the fitting.

We have ran into a couple retro fits that because we had to crimp the fitting we did not use them. I don't remember why & I was not there, but we have both, so it did not matter.

I also used them in my own house.

Yes they cost a lot less & weigh a lot less too.

It takes a man to pick up one my totes of brass fittings.

We use them, because most of the jobs we do are on well water.[/QUOTE]

Why aren't you selling water treatment equipment? Don't like making money?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post

Why aren't you selling water treatment equipment? Don't like making money?

It's hard to sell what people don't want. Many people like their smelly water untampered with, dont want the additional cost, maintenance or trace amounts of sodium in the water.
                  ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
                    I use the EP Uponor fittings. Never had a issue, done thousands of connections. There better than the no lead crap out nowadays anyway.
                    Uponor user here, too and have never had to test their warranty with any of their fittings, plastic or brass. I will say that I think that the brass fittings are more likely to get nicks in the main barb when hauled around in bulk or mis-handled and this is where the majority of the seal seems to be made.
                    Last edited by GreatLakesPlumber; 03-20-2014, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                      It's hard to sell what people don't want. Many people like their smelly water untampered with, dont want the additional cost, maintenance or trace amounts of sodium in the water.
                      I'm not seeing that. Most, when shown how good their water can be are thrilled.
                      sigpic

Comment

Until you tell them the price

Comment

Originally posted by MR.FUDD View Post
                          Until you tell them the price
                          he must live in an area with good water. the basic systems here begin at beyond $3,000. Im going to repair an existing system tomorrow. the cost? $2700 to repair and rebuild. their system was $5500 when it was first installed.

it's never an easy sell.
                          ~~

Comment

Actually, we have varying water conditions here but iron, hardness, PH, TDS all that and more are very common. What are you repairing that cost three grand?
                            sigpic

Comment

Actually, we have varying water conditions here but iron, hardness, PH, TDS all that and more are very common. What are you repairing that cost three grand?
                              This lady has a well. She has a failed pressure tank, needs a rebuild of the CL2 injector, has a failed mixing tank, and needs a re-bed of the filter system. She has 36 hardness, 5 parts iron, pH 5, some hydrocarbons, and some manganese and bacteria. We only treat for the iron and bacteria.

That's pretty common for water around me.
                              ~~

Comment

Working...
                              X