No announcement yet.

Plastic PEX Fittings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i was using some of the pex crimp stlye fittings a few months ago crimp, not expansion. Funny thing happens when you get primer on them. They break down. Yes. Garbage. Shiny black ones. I think locke is stocking them in oklahoma right now.

as for expansion the composite ones are wicked good. No reason to buy the metal ones other than obvious reasons. Heat threads etc.

Comment

Originally posted by stolen View Post
      Funny thing happens when you get primer on them. They break down. Yes. Garbage. Shiny black ones.
      made of ABS?
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

No doubt primer will affect any type of plastic fitting. I've used brass fittings for years including in my own house, but now we're switching to the pexpress with the stainless sleeve built in. Have heard of dezincification with the brass fittings especially with aggressive water. Water should be fixed if bad.. In our city, the ph is fine, high levels of dissolved oxygen make the water very corrosive to metal. Water heaters don't last, lots of repipes with plastic replacing old copper, especially type M. At this point, I try to avoid any fittings on pex whenever possible, but try to make sure that if there is a fitting, it's not under stress to start with. Same policy with regular cpvc; make sure the joint is under no stress or flex to start with; when new, the plastic is always strong and flexible. As time passes, the joint becomes more likely to fail.. I've seen but never tried the uponor expansion fittings, but we have started buying the Uponor pipe. Upon research, the Uponor is class A pex and other brands are B or C. They are different.. If you go to Uponor's website, they show you how if you kink their pipe, you can heat it with a heat gun, and it goes back to normal.. Wouldn't try that with viega. Class A pex will work with both the Uponor expansion fittings as well as crimp fittings and is slightly more flexible.

Comment

where would one find the class types of various manufacturers' product(s)?

I found what the ratings mean:

http://www.pexuniverse.com/content/types-of-pex-tubing

But, for example, none of the Viega PureFlow specs for the FostaPEX product contain any Type A B C, etc. I did find they use bronze fittings that are not as susceptible to leaching.
          Last edited by Plumber Punky; 04-17-2014, 09:09 AM.
          ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

If you have to cross over a Hvac duct do you insulate your pipe when using pex ?

Comment

Working...
            X