Using a temp agency

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a temp agency

Anyone use a temp agency for helpers or laborers? We have "Labor Ready" here. What is your experience with them? How do you use them? I was quoted 14 bucks an hour to hire a laborer, four hour minimum. Is that about right?

Re: Using a temp agency

that's dirt cheap as they pay all the workers comp and taxes, and still make a profit. so in reality the 14 an hour probably comes out to less than 7 an hour for the laborer.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
      Anyone use a temp agency for helpers or laborers? We have "Labor Ready" here. What is your experience with them? How do you use them? I was quoted 14 bucks an hour to hire a laborer, four hour minimum. Is that about right?
      I believe it is $8.25 + .70% over to cover all addt. expenses.

I think this is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by red1234 View Post
        I believe it is $8.25 + .70% over to cover all addt. expenses.

I think this is correct.
        I figured they were paying the laborer around 8 or 9 bucks an hour. The rest is expenses and profit for the temp company. Anyone ever use one of these temp agencies?

Comment

What about comparing using a temp agency compared to actually hiring a helper. I believe the cost of having an employee for payroll taxes is about 15% of pay, plus workmans comp of around 5%, so would 20% of pay be about right for hiring an employee? Just trying to figure this out. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Comment

you need to check your states workmans comp fees.

out here depending on the pay rate, workers comp is approx. 20% or so for well skilled plumber, even more for a less skilled worker.

roofers are the most followed by a carpenter. of course that was over 10 years ago when I was looking into it.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I've used labor ready a few times. Only worth it for jobs you can provide direct supervision if you catch my drift. Its cheap labor...and like everything in business and life, you get what you pay for...

Workers comp in IL is about 20% for plumbers

Comment

I use them strictly for general labor. They're $22 an hour. They pay the guys minimum wage and cover all the taxes and workers comp. Keep in mind, there's a reason those guys are at Labor Ready.

Comment

Have you ever found a keeper, or do you roll the dice?

Rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Down here we have had a Labor Government for years flogging the Employers and making it hard to employ. What is even worse is getting rid of the duds. They go us for unfair dismissal. Seems it isn't good enough reason to sack a bloke for not being able to carry out the duties he is employed to do. So I occasionally use a hire agency. They have an 8hr minimum so if we finish early it still costs me. They cover everything. They seem to get around by paying basic wages. We have 4hrs into shift to get rid of them if they are no good. We also have a lot of 457 visas here. Questionable qualifications all in the disguise of "skill shortage" so we have to get who we can. Our Governments are run by absolute morons who couldn't care less. When there are deaths as we have seen they all run for cover blaming us, the humble tradesman.
                    LAbor hire agencies are ok but you need to keep an eye on them.

Comment

Sounds like we all have the same problem !

I have use a temp agency and it was OK to a point until the guy shows up at your elderly customer's door at 3 am pounding on the door saying you did not pay them !!!

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
                        PLUMBER RICK commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Or it could be when your elderly customers calls you at 3:23 am to leave you a message. She had called my cell phone during the day normal hours and I asked her to call my office line. She did. 12 hours later.

I have used Labor Ready, and 2 others but their names escape me. I had one job with 20 guys on it. It was like herding cats that had just come off of a three day drunk, but I made it work. I had to send three guys home for fighting. It was a large job, and had to be finished quick. My experience has been it is best to just do it yourself. A lot of times these guys gold brick the job so they can come back the next day. I can outwork 4 of these guys. The last time that I tried it was through a company that had Journeyman plumbers, so I thought that may work. I was a guy short and needed a hand for a week. The first day, he told me that he could work circles around the other guy, asked for all of my copper scraps, yelled at the company that sent him out, lit a cigarette in a customers house. There was no second day. Good luck to you.
                      "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

• sewermonster85
                        sewermonster85 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Kind of ironic that you said this.i have a guy that i use from time to time.asked for our scraps.reeked of smoke.and caught him pocketing faucet cartridges from my truck .and the nail in the coffin was when he lit up a smoke in a costumers bathroom.mind u thus wasn't no (hood) house. Million Dollar small mansion in a gated community. So Yea that smoking is a no go for me.dont get me wrong .i smoke but never in a costumers house.even if they smoke and say it's ok..i dont pull up to there house smoking.and i dont let them see me smoking.i keep plenty of gum and hand sanitizer and smell goods in the truck.i keep my truck looking good.well stocked..organization is a must in my truck.clean in s ide and out.im anal. Some costumers walk u to your truck and see your set up or your cab. So a clean image is a must.nothing sickens me more than seeing a dirty truck pull up and the guy gets out and garbage and pop bottles and mcdonalds bags falling out the door .and add that t he guy gets out with some stained a$$ shirt and pants and a cigar hangin g from his mouth.
                    Working...
                    X