What am I missing here? Wisconsin house

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What am I missing here? Wisconsin house

My cousin in Wisconsin emailed me some pics of his well tank that he wants replaced. What I don't get is the 1/4" copper line running into the top of the tank. All of the shallow well galvanized well tanks without a bladder use an air volume control. He doesn't have a shallow well.

What am I missing here? I plan on recommending a bladder tank of course, but that little copper line is just weird.
    Attached Files
    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Re: What am I missing here? Wisconsin house

Interesting one. All I can think of is a home owner seen two ends and thought they should connect them.
    You could cap the water supply. 1/4 inch side of the tee and add an air valve to the top of the tank and you might be able to get some more life out of the tank. Just let your cousin know that he will have to add air from time to time

Comment

Thanks for your reply Jay, things must have really dropped off since I was last on here.

I just did not know if it was something special to Wisconsin or what?

Comment

Don't cap that line off. It is most likely the drain for a morrison well head, or at the least a home brewed overhead discharge set up. If you replace it run the 1" into the top of the tank only and eliminate the small copper line. When the pump shuts off the water drains out of the line and into the tank. Just spent most of the winter fixing setups like that where someone didn't know what they were doing and capped off the top of tank.

Comment

Oh, wow thank you so much bartnc37. I believe it says Morrison on the well head if memory serves. A diaphragm well tank is all wrong, I guess. I found this pic on the net. http://http://www.wikihow.com/Install-a-Pressure-Tank-for-a-Morrison-Head-System Do you use the Johnson Control F93b?

Thank you.
          Last edited by Tyman; 04-08-2014, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Very interesting system. Sorry tyman for the bad advice. I should have known everything is done for a reason. Its just sometimes that reason is ????? (Home owner) but not this time. Thanks bartnc

Comment

No problem plumber Jay. I worked on wells for years but not this set up. That's what I like about plumbing, always learning something new.

Comment

Originally posted by bartnc37 View Post
                Don't cap that line off. It is most likely the drain for a morrison well head, or at the least a home brewed overhead discharge set up. If you replace it run the 1" into the top of the tank only and eliminate the small copper line. When the pump shuts off the water drains out of the line and into the tank. Just spent most of the winter fixing setups like that where someone didn't know what they were doing and capped off the top of tank.

I love it when I get to learn something like this. Thanks for making me a bit brighter, bartnc37. I'm going to file this one away for future reference.

Comment

Originally posted by bartnc37 View Post

I LOVE this thread. There's always something new to learn. Thanks.
                  Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
                  X