Why you love plumbing...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why you love plumbing...

I am by no means a plumber but I have a lot of fun solving problems in plumbing systems. I love figuring out how to fix things. Plumbing really is a job for problem solvers from troubleshooting/diagnosis to putting together a plan of attack to figuring out how to prevent problems. Plus I love using tools... and have pretty decent access to a wide range of toys

So what is it that drew you to your plumbing?

OK, I'll bite.

I was drawn to it because I was looking for a good paying job that was hands on and in an industry that wasn't going to be downsized or sent out of the country.

When I got into this bizz, I didn't know ANYTHING about plumbing. Of course I knew about gravity and chit flowing downhill and all those Oh-so-clever jabs that most of us hear almost daily, but other than that I was "too green to burn" as my boss put it. I've always been mechanically inclined and grew up having a Dad that was always wrenching on something, and that rubbed off on me. Re-built and engine or 3, do my own brakes, oil changes, pulled transmissions and replaced clutches, flywheels, throw-out bearings and lots of other stuff. Have a fair bit of carpentry in my background and I can follow residential electrical codes and safely make lights turn on and receptacles safe to plug into. But plumbing, the real stuff we all have to learn how to do and why it needs to be done certain ways, I was ignorant of. Due to the building boom in my area at the time, within 2 years of hiring on as a plumber and forced air installer I was given my own van and tools and handed a blue print and a work order. It was intimidating, but challenging and I met and bested that challenge and in the years since it's just snowballed.

Now, I can identify a lot with what Josh wrote above. I really enjoy the challenge of solving strange issues. I like the remodeling projects that make me think outside the box. ( I really don't like that term, but it fits) I like helping nice customers. We all know that not all customers are equal. Some are highly demanding, some are average and some are just so pleasant that a guy wants to go the extra mile. I really appreciate those folks and they always get special attention.

In a nutshell, I like building things with my hands, solving problems with my head and helping out nice folks. I could have it a lot worse.

Comment

LOL. Are you kidding me?!
      I hate this crap!
      Cannot wait to retire.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
        I hate this crap!
        Cannot wait to retire.
        You took the words right out of my mouth. I did retire. So, what am I doing in retirement? The same thing I was doing before. Only, now I don't get paid for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
          I hate this crap!
          Cannot wait to retire.
          What Jim Said...:-)

Comment

if you haven't figured it out yet, I do do love my job. especially when I solve their problems that others are trying to pull the wool over their eyes.

sort of like a P I in the plumbing business. have always been intrigued by the new technology and have invested heavily into it.

i'm too busy to retire.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I got into plumbing due to the fact my father owns and runs his own service plumbing and sewer company. I really enjoy meeting new people, and helping them by repairing their issue and then helping them figuring out a more permanent fix to their problem. The part I really enjoy is drain cleaning. People are amazed how well their drain goes down after I do a proper cleaning. I always hear " Wow its been years since it drain like that" or " It never drained this good since I lived here" Where as installing a faucet people expect it to look good and preform as advertised, so there is a lot less praise involved.

Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Solving problems and I run into new stuff everyday been hooked since 99. Plumbing has been good to me tho I have been able to survive since then gave me the opportunity to buy a house go on vacations tho I did have a family. It still provides me with a way to take care of my daughter It has taken a lot of time out of my life I guess is the only down side.

Comment

I got into plumbing just for the paycheck at first but now it is so much more. I really enjoy the drain cleaning more and more. I guess it is because of thr problem solving.

Comment

Working...
                  X