PVC J-Hooks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PVC J-Hooks

A few days ago, in a heated discussion between 2 other plumbers, it was implied that any plumber using PVC j-hooks to hang pipes was a hack using crutches because they will fail miserably when the pipe fills with water.

Originally posted by NHMaster3015
    Don't confuse old school with reckless practices. I weigh the worth of just about everything. Those new order with new products and who rely on the plumbing code to decide whether a product is acceptable would do well to remember Polybutylene. A product that until 3 years ago was still accepted under both IPC and UPC. Take a hard look at some of the crap they approve. Anyone using plastic J hangers for PVC? I'll bet quite a few are. Ever see shat happens to a 40', 3" lateral that is full of water? Those J hooks that saved you eight bucks and twenty minutes fold like a cheap suitcase.
    I performed this very scientific experiment to see if I was indeed a hack.

Most of the PVC waste pipe used in houses near me is 3" Charlotte pipe. Most of the townships follow the IPC 2009 which calls for 4 foot max horizontal pipe hangers. I chose to use the crappiest box store purchased j-hooks.

I was able to hang my entire weight (145 lbs) on a single j-hook installed with the 2 OEM supplied nails. But where is the fun in that, right? Besides, I cant take a picture of that!

I hung 2 j-hooks at the 4 foot length. I didnt have 4 feet of pipe, so I used whatever length I had longer than 4 feet. I then hung a rope with a hook at the end connected to a 5 gallon bucket, and started filling it with water.

8.3454 lbs per gallon of water
    120 degree water requires a minimum of 4 feet between hangers
    per Charlotte - 3.5" OD -.216 -.216 (walls) = 3.06 ID

Pi(r^2)*L = volume = 352.99 cu inches
    231 cu inches per gallon of water
    =1.53 gallons per 4 feet

1.53 gallons = 12.77 lbs
    3" pipe per foot = 1.412 lbs = 5.65 lbs per 4 feet

Total weight required to be held by 2 hangers is 18.42 lbs

Test 1
    Bucket weight = 8 lbs
    Rope and hook = 1 lb
    pipe weight empty = 5.65
    5 gallons of water = 41.73 lbs
    Total hung on rope with 2 j-hooks = 56.38 lbs (passed)

Test 2 - My weight on a single j-hook = 145 lbs. (passed)

Last edited by Plumber Punky; 05-09-2014, 02:28 PM.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Now you have me curious at what point they would fail. Nice post.

Comment

Me too, but i'm not testing that indoors with water. hahaha. Actually the weight numbers are a little low because I calculated for 4 feet of pipe but used somewhere around 6 or 7. It's 1.412 lbs per foot as per Charlotte specs.

The j-hooks sold by plumbing wholesalers are much more robust than the box store versions. They appear to be made from a denser plastic. The box store versions will not take much lateral movement (in line with the direction of the pipe) before they snap. Perhaps 3/4 of an inch. The wholesaler versions do not break at all. I've used both the single formed models, like above, and also the versions that the hook part rotates on the shaft.
      ~~

Comment

• NHMaster3015
        NHMaster3015 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm still not going to use them though if only because I don't like the look of them either.

• AssTyme
        AssTyme commented
        Editing a comment
        I like the looks of them. They look professional, better than the ugly wire ones.

You have too much time on your hands and....need to eat a bit more. 145, give me a break. Nice test though. Looks like something I would have given a go. I am and am not surprised at the results and the only thing I can tell you is that I have seen hanger failure any number of times with those things.
      sigpic

Comment

I have seen more than one complete blockage fully supported by pvc j hooks. They're neat, work well, cheap and install easily.

Comment

They are a a buck or so cheaper than metal and I'm not sure why you think they are easier to install other than you can use a hammer and nails rather than screws, but too each is own.
          sigpic

Comment

I always screw them in. I used the OEM nails for this test as they were supplied with the product. Nailing them in tends to cause dust to rain down and put out the bulb i usually am working next to.
            ~~

Comment

• NHMaster3015
              NHMaster3015 commented
              Editing a comment
              There's always a lightbulb lol

Our codes don't allow for direct contact between metal hangers and plastic pipe. The slight movement with the pipe will allow the metal to cut into the plastic.

Rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

• NHMaster3015
              NHMaster3015 commented
              Editing a comment
              You can get the metal ones with a plastic coating where it contacts the pipe. Both in Milford style and clevis.
              Last edited by NHMaster3015; 05-10-2014, 08:59 AM.

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            They are a a buck or so cheaper than metal and I'm not sure why you think they are easier to install other than you can use a hammer and nails rather than screws, but too each is own.

I said easy not easier but you may have been writing to someone else.

David

Comment

• NHMaster3015
              NHMaster3015 commented
              Editing a comment
              Probably me reading too fast.

I'll use J-hooks in most situations, including water lines and 1 1/2", 2" and 3" cellular core PVC, but won't use them on 4". I've found them to flex too much, making it hard to keep the proper pitch on pipe while it's being hung. I also prefer the Sioux Chief brand of hooks to the Oatey and Jtec brands. I find the I-beam shape of the Sioux Chief hooks to be much more rigid.

Comment

• Plumber Punky
              Plumber Punky commented
              Editing a comment
              If you stagger the direction of the hooks the stability is increased.

So thats a J-hook what a joke I have to agree with NH that not an advance in a plumbing fitting its a cheap backward step

Tony

Comment

• NHMaster3015
              NHMaster3015 commented
              Editing a comment
              Perception is everything. They look cheap and is that really what you want customers to think?
          Working...
          X