led water service

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• led water service

we have a1 inch lead water service that we may need to change the round way my question is this I know that I cannot connect lead to lead which would be illegal but can I get a1 inch Ford by 1 inch mail fitting and a one inchfemale round way and then a one inch male bye 1 inch Ford and connect it that way

normally we would just run flare by ford and run it that way but the area were going to be working in is on concrete and they just poured a brand new slab so we can't break that up for gold any further back so its gonna have to be a very small hole so thats why I was wondering if we can do it that way but still be incorrect if I have to break this lab then that's all we have to do but I'm just trying to avoid breaking the brand new concrete

Comment

Years ago working in a campus lab we had tin pipe for distilled water. Probably installed in the 50s. It was just a gravity system from the roof storage tank down. Only thing we found to fit was a "g" coupling.

tin and lead are both soft matrerials and should be able to be rounded with a simple swedging tool if needed. I beleive a ford and g coupling are similar. Just make sure to properly retain for movement.

they also make a municipality style coupling that has a ss gripper built into the rubber gaskets that dig in and prevent a pull out. Our water co. Uses them on soft copper all the time.

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I had to look up a "ford coupler" never hear of one before,

not trying to change the subject, but I find it kind of interesting, that some bashing the press couplings and the shark bites and so on when dresser type and these ford couplings have been around for a long time, and have seemed to the coupling of choice in many areas,

Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

• sewermonster85
          sewermonster85 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ford fittings are the only transition fittings accepted to convert led 2 copper ..forgive me for my ignorance I didn't mean to sound like I was bashing shark bites and pex pipe and new methods because I've never used those so I can't speak negatively about those.I was just in a tight spot and the guy poured a lot of new concrete .and we're trying to avoid breaking into it so just based on the opening we're going to have I was just trying to see our options because I know your not allowed to connect lead to lead directly thats why I was wondering if we can break it with a female round way and Mail by Ford fittings

I think that would probably work. Might need to use a very short piece of copper with a male flare adapter into the roundway and a flare X ford fitting on the other side of the roundway. I can't see you being able to maneuver the 1" lead enough to get the ford fittings all the onto the lead on both sides. the flare on one side would make it a lot easier IMO

Comment

• sewermonster85
          sewermonster85 commented
          Editing a comment
          I got lucky .When we exposed the round way, there was a little wiggle room and I was able to get it.the existing round way only leaked when off.the drain port on the side broke off probably when the guy was trying to turn it off and jabbed the key and it rubbed the side of the round way.trying to change a l" service on the fly sucks.thankfully it wasn't that cold yesterday.its only crazy if I'd doesn't work..lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Und2qtnHwgE

Comment

Working...
        X