Saved the Customer $10,000, Earned Ten Times That

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saved the Customer $10,000, Earned Ten Times That

I went out to a plugged storm sewer call. Found the 4" bubbler overflowing water and a small indentation directly next to the concrete curb. The main is not but 18" away. So, the K1500SP gets taken out of the truck, should be easy-peasy except the snake always wants to back towards the house. So I reach down the pipe, brown water overflows and drenches my shirt, pants and boots. The customer said, "you're pretty brave." I said, "shoot, this is only mud, at least it's not poopies." Laughter ensues.

What do I find? Under-road gravel. I finally get the pipe to flow out, running the garden hose wide open revealed a broken pipe at the gutter drain (repaired later) but otherwise flowing easily. Then I got to looking up and down the street - a cone here, some new grass there, a few new 6" bubblers... One neighbor was out washing his car, so I ask him, "Mister, do you mind if I ask a few questions?". He says to come on up, so I do. I asked a few questions and find out the town knows this sewer was put in by an unqualified bidder who hacked in pvc drains into a pvc main with no fitting. They will also replace the bubbler to main pipe and fittings FREE once the plumber comes out to snake and verify the fault. All he has to do is call the town to be put on their list.

I now have a customer for life. So, I lost $10k. No big deal. He will talk me up to others like there's no tomorrow.

As we were walking down the road to his place I asked him, "What's the moral of this story?" He looked at me kind of funny and I said, "Talk to your neighbors once in a while." He said, "You have a point there." He works in his father's real estate legal firm so he's pretty smart. This will rest in his mind. He learned not only that the plumber knows his trade but he's wise to the world as well.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Wait I gotta know....so it was poopie water?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

this one, no. but others have been.
      ~~

Comment

Awesome, great story, thanks. Word of mouth will keep you working till u decide to hang it up.

Comment

Whats a storm sewer bubbler?

Can't say that I have heard the term here in my city and can't envision what it would be. Our storm sewers are 8+ feet below the ground because of winter frost so that may have something to do with not knowing / seeing them.

Comment

a storm sewer bubbler is a riser with a slotted cap located a few feet from the main. In areas with substandard infrastructure or prone to flash downpours the main sometimes backs up. A bubbler allows the storm lateral to outflow without dumping into the main. the other benefit is that the storm water handling parts of the home can still function as intended.

im sure this man will refer me any chance he gets. he's very happy with my work thus far.
            Last edited by Plumber Punky; 05-23-2014, 08:02 PM.
            ~~

Comment

Working...
            X