REMOVING FROZEN STEMS THE EASY WAY

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REMOVING FROZEN STEMS THE EASY WAY

Had a kohler widespread that wasn't budging. i was under the pedestal with a basin wrench, and the homeowner was giving it all he had. it was like arm wrestling with ben all over again. but then it dawned on me. why not my cordless impact wrench with a 5/8'' deep socket.

Impressed myself and the homeowner. give it a try next time a stem wants to turn the entire valve body.

no fighting the frozen stems and having the valve spin.

Rick.
    Attached Files
    phoebe it is

Kohler in the Hindu language means "add another 1000 for aggravation".
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Ben ,Rick Irish ?? He sure is smart . Then again, It might of been the Home owner's idea !
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I started using an impact driver when they 1st came out for just such things. Even have sockets for most threaded shower valve sizes which is the reason I did that in the 1st place. A beefy one will zip out anode rods in seconds.
        sigpic

Comment

Funny, I wondered If My big auto impact would do the anodes. Rick said not to bother replacing them.
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

• NHMaster3015
            NHMaster3015 commented
            Editing a comment
            It will work just fine, but if Rick says don't bother, ya better not lol

I had to use a impact wrench on two frozen water heater elements this year My 3/4 drive wrench would not turn them and slipped and I got a round corner But the impact spun it right out with a little forward & backward movement

Comment

• NHMaster3015
            NHMaster3015 commented
            Editing a comment
            Do it all the time. Swap the factory ones out when we have H2S odor issues

Ingersol Rand makes a1/2" drive corded one that with the right adaptor can be fitted with large diameter self feed bits which wind bind up and wrap your arms up if you hit a nail or something solid.
          sigpic

Comment

N. H. I'm guessing Your water is harder than Ca. and anodes break down faster.Maybe that's Rick's Take for Us here ? Thanks for the info.

Comment

There's places in California with some pretty nasty water conditions. I have a good friend that lives out there who is a distributor/engineer for Fleck. H2S is fairly common in certain areas. If you are mostly on city water though it may not be an issue. The point is that an impact driver is a pretty useful thing to have on the truck. I use it for way more things than a regular cordless drill.
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks , 2 in the shop

Comment

they work great on wheel lug nuts and other fasteners as well,
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Impact drivers work even better when drilling in metal
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                    X