Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

30" Water Main Break - Down the street from Rick - Mega Press?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30" Water Main Break - Down the street from Rick - Mega Press?

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...k-near-campus/

close enough, but not close enough to affect my water. but sunset blvd will be closed for days or weeks. they feel it lost 8-10 million gallons of water we can't afford to lose. not to mention the huge loss to the ucla campus and pauley pavilion. the sports complex just went through a 134 million dollar remodel and it's now been flooded. not to mention the parking structures and the outdoor sports fields and track.

the water main is 30'' and close to 100 years old. replacing it down sunset blvd is going to be another traffic nightmare. honestly i feel the best resolution would be to slip line the 30'' main with a hdpe line slightly smaller than the 30'' main. possibly a 26'' hdpe line that will still flow similar specs due to minimal friction loss.

will know more come morning time.

Rick
    phoebe it is

Comment

An interesting insurance question comes up as to who will pay for the water damaged buildings.

Comment

Rick wouldn't that be risky with a riveted main. Our failures here with HDPE are generally associated with gouges when pulled through a horizontal bore. We cant control the shale and rocks in the bore.

Comment

I know when i do trenchless pipe bursting with 4" sdr17, its apprx 1/4" / 6mm thick.my 2' long lead piece I use to fuse the pipe to has been pulled through over 10 times before I change it. Althought it gets scared from being in the lead position, it still isn't gouged deep enough to affect the integrity of the pipe.

with larger pipe like 26" that wall thickness can get close to 2" / 50mm.

with 30" pipe, you would think it would be possible to send in a reaming, grinding robot to clean up the scale and rust. I would think the pipe would be cement lined to prevent rusting.

as of 7 am my time, they as still pumping water from the pipe and sink hole. they are not even thinking of pumping out the parking structures until friday, 2 more days to deal with toxics in the waste oil and fuel that floated out of the vehicles.

last time I saw a flood like this was about 15 years ago when we had a serious down pour and a couple square blocks were flooded in beverly hills. Any subterranean parking structiure was under water including the building we plumbed 10 years earlier.When I went there to 2 days later, 27 cars were totaled and to this day, there is still oil stains in the 16' tall parking structure ceiling. the water level came up to the light switches on the first floor. I found a refrigerator sitting on the kitchen counter as it floated. An amazing sight that will probably never happen again as the city / county flood controll district has reworked the storm drains around that area. Heck even larry flints hustlers world headquarters was under water in the garage level.

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

This is a mess. Water has got to be shut down to thousands while repairing. And how long will that take?

Comment

i was talking to the fire dept. batallion chief today at a fire scene. tesla head on into a block wall. fireworks when water was sprayed onto the fire. he was telling me they had 5 valves shut off, but there is still 1000 gpm flowing into the hole. it's opening up a can of worms now that the public is aware of the 100 year old pipes. not to mention that sunset is a very busy street that can take you from the pacific ocean to the west to dodger stadium to the east and beyond. thsis just 1 of the 7100 miles of water mains in la.

it will be interesting on what they do in the near and far future.

joey was having dinner tonight with phoebe and a city councilman came in with his 6 pack crew. that just came from ucla. scary part is joey knows him and he knows joey. and i thought i was connected when i worked for the old mayor.

Rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

And then there is the water hammer effect when the line valves are turned off and on.

We had a feeder main in our city with one break that spawned about 5 more in a two week period in different blocks on the same street as the water coming off and on would cause more failures. It was winter and the water dept and public works street crews had to deal with all the frozen ice and slush in trying to find the break and then clear the street afterwards.

there was something on PBS a few years ago about New York City having big brass valves on their aqueduct system that they are afraid to even look at as they have never been touched in over 100 years. They are not sure if they could even turn off the water if there was a break in that pipe.

Comment

Wonder what the bottom line on that bond issue will be?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    Wonder what the bottom line on that bond issue will be?

Oh yeah, The politicians and dwp will be squealing for money. Maybe 10% will make it to the street, the rest to fat salaries and pensions.

Comment

So what's going to be the condition of the roads now?the extensive damage and water pouting out that bad had to destroy everything in its path..how much of the roads are they going to have to repair..all that undermining and washing away everything is going to cause massive sinkholes and giant craters everywhere ...I feel for these people..

Comment

Don't worry about how much this will cost, they will probably follow the lead of our maggots and up your rates. All the money set aside for maintenance and replacement went where????????????
                        Other thing is how is it that they cant shut down. Who didn't put a valve in????

Comment

They did finally get it off with 11 different valves. It was a wye fitting from a 36" to 30" connection that blew. They fabticated a new wye and might have it in today. Street repairs might be done for the monday communte.

cars were being towed out last night to a remote lot to be claimed. Those are the ones not damaged. The flooded ones are still submerged. Those are a total loss

they showed a target department store this morning just blocks away from ucla that had a fire sprinkler line break and flooded 10-15% of the store this morning. Non related, but ironic its so close to the other flood.

Rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

NOW WE KNOW Y !
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I'm amazed they did what they did 100 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X