Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Right Tool for the Right Job

Tips that may help others:

I was called in (blind) to a leaky commercial 4-bay washtub. It utilized a mechanical, lever activated pop-up to open and close the drain. Apparently, the help liked to bash the handles with mop buckets, etc. until the basket strainers loosened and leaked. Never having worked on these before, I didnt have an appropriate tool to fit the slots in the top of the strainer.

So:

- drop the pop-up plug
    - insert 2 large open end wrenches
    - orient as needed
    - twist away!

The 2 right-most baskets were siliconed on. The upper EPDM gasket was missing. Roof EPDM (rubber roof material) resolved that problem. I cut a template from the other gaskets and trimmed it when i was done.
    Last edited by Plumber Punky; 08-04-2014, 08:57 AM. Reason: spelling error
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Nice job.

Comment

You can make a wrench with a sort piece of 2" L copper. Hammer one end flat. Mine works better than the tool that's in our commercial strainer box. You can turn it with a 14' pipe wrench.

Comment

Plumber Punky - nice improvisation. I've used a similar technique to install bath tub drains, except with a couple fairly beefy screwdrivers inserted into the basket and crossed like you did with the wrenches.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Crocco View Post
          You can make a wrench with a sort piece of 2" L copper. Hammer one end flat. Mine works better than the tool that's in our commercial strainer box. You can turn it with a 14' pipe wrench.

I'm way to old to use a 14' pipe wrench!

Comment

Oops. I'm old, too. (63). A couple of months ago I had to use a 60 INCH pipe wrench. Good thing it was aluminum, or I couldn't have lifted it.

Comment

A good plumber will find a way

Comment

Working...
              X