Wirsbo/Uponor 1-1/2"-2"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wirsbo/Uponor 1-1/2"-2"

Anyone using the bigger sizes? Thoughts, concerns, comments?

It's a bit like wrestling a 30' anaconda that's been greased up. Eat your Wheaties first.
    sigpic

Comment

It cant be much different than hdpe gas pipe.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Yea or 160lb poly vinyl
        sigpic

Comment

I have installed Pex A up to 160mm in an insulated jacket for central heating. Lucky you appear to be in a warmer climate. With the uponor your watch your set-up time on your fittings. And try to have the pipe braced so not to have to much deflection on the fitting. It is not like the REHAU fitting which takes no setup time once pressed onto the pipe and can take some torque. Other then take your time to fit-up and using a little heat from the sun [ for a short time. 30-60 min] to help you straighten it if your using coils. Have at it but personally I am a believer in the REHAU EVERLOC FITTING which by the way works on UPONOR. The rigidity of PEX I found to be more the hdpe.

Comment

Originally posted by Beauacres View Post
            I have installed Pex A up to 160mm in an insulated jacket for central heating. Lucky you appear to be in a warmer climate. With the uponor your watch your set-up time on your fittings. And try to have the pipe braced so not to have to much deflection on the fitting. It is not like the REHAU fitting which takes no setup time once pressed onto the pipe and can take some torque. Other then take your time to fit-up and using a little heat from the sun [ for a short time. 30-60 min] to help you straighten it if your using coils. Have at it but personally I am a believer in the REHAU EVERLOC FITTING which by the way works on UPONOR. The rigidity of PEX I found to be more the hdpe.

I'll be using the Uponor 1-1/2" & 2" straight lengths, with plenty of good old Arizona sunshine thrown in to make it a little more flexible.

Thanks for your input.
            Last edited by ArizonaPlumber; 08-12-2014, 07:04 PM.

Comment

The Job.

Remove a 200 gallon HW Storage tank and replace it with 3-80 gallon storage tanks.
              Mech room's interior double doors had been removed and covered over to enlarge a kitchen on the opposite side of the Mech room. Exterior door had about 29" of clearance. Nothing else would fit.
              Had to cut up tank to remove. Used a twin bladed saw, and 5 saz-all blades. Demo took about 3 hours.
              Set 3 tanks in place by lifting them up and over one of the two 500k boilers.
              Installed Pex X MIP adapters in the tanks with a Stanley/Proto 1" Drive Deep Socket. (Thanks to my BIL). It worked fantastic. Also used the new Milwaukee Propress with Pex X Ftg Adapters coming off a new 2" Ball Valves.

Manifolding the tanks was a little more challenging at first. Earl Brockert, the rep,
              (http://swsales-az-nv.com/SWS/contact.htm) had loaned us the battery powered expansion tool, as well as the Milwaukee ProPress. The expanders use quite a bit of power and we found that we weren't getting very far with only two batteries, I let the him know that I was getting somewhat frustrated with this process and within an hour, he was on the job-site with another tool and extra batteries. He also jumped in with both hands and his invaluable expertise got us back on schedule.

The bottom line. Overall it was a great experience. The hotel suffered no hot water issues from the guests (no free rooms). We had great support from the Uponor manufacturer through his representative. Saved considerable money over a total Copper ProPress application. Considerable time was gained using the Milwaukee M12 Shear for all the necessary cuts. I had planned on using my 18v impact on the adapters, but the 1/2" drive didn't pack the gear, but the 1" ratchet worked really well. I also learned that they have a 120v electric model expander that I will use from here on out, even if I have to supply my own power. Changing those batteries mid run was a real pita. Last but not least, I'm ordering the Milwaukee ProPress Tools as he wouldn't let me keep the loaner. Almost forgot, not one drip!!!

AP

Comment

No pics?!
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Sorry about no pictures. Possibly later on as they may be used elsewhere first.

Comment

Good job on the replacement and still supplying hot water to the hotel.

I purposely have a set of 1" drive sockets, 3.25" is the largest socket I have. I use them to screw adapters and bushings into the tanks too.

my buddy did a ymca with new raypacks all in sch 80 cpvc and it came out great. 1 year later still no issues.

Rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X