Emergency HWT install on a Sunday!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency HWT install on a Sunday!

A customer called me this morning clearly upset her HWT was leaking everywhere. I tried telling her to turn the valve off and I can come out tomorrow Monday and take care of it. Well she insisted on getting me out there today and paid me an additional $400 for coming out on a Sunday. Anyone else have a story that a customer was willing to pay a lot to get the job done on a Sunday?? Sheesh, I hate 75 gal. But it's ready for inspection.

Yea! Just last week I went out on a Saturday to install a clean out at a very high priced vaca rental in Palm Springs. After discovering the original cast irons in was absolutely shot from roots and just deteriorated the owner wanted it repaired ASAP! The crawl space had 15" of clearance and the main was 2' below dirt, and I could only use a small gandheld gardening shovel. I informed the customer expect as much as a $10,000 project, at which point he informed me it needs to be done. After working my tail off from 7:30-10:00 pm on sat, 1:00pm -9:30 pm on Sunday then from 8 am -9:30 pm on Monday I presented a bill for half of the quote and the customer flipped his lid and expected a break from my normal rate rate down to $65/ hr. as he assumed the job transformed from service to new construction. They hesitantly paid and informed me if I wanted their future business I would have to cut my rate in half. I said thanks but no thanks!

Comment

• fixitright
      fixitright commented
      Editing a comment
      No good deed goes unpunished!

Next time you should give him a bill for the full tilt then put on the BS act and cut it down immediately by 25% because you don't want to feel like you are robbing him. Stick it right up em...........!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
      Next time you should give him a bill for the full tilt then put on the BS act and cut it down immediately by 25% because you don't want to feel like you are robbing him. Stick it right up em...........!!!!
      Yup! It's kinda feeling like that needs to be the norm. I'm not a bill padder, when I present a bill, that's the price but everyone must think we're pawn brokers or something and want to negotiate the bill.

Comment

I've heard this for years and so easy to avoid. ALL jobs no matter how small or how large get quoted up front before any work starts, no excuses. The customer signs the proposal and knows exactly how much it's going to cost. If the customer was quoted 10,000 and he signed off on approving the work then he would pay 10,000, no question about it.

Comment

Working...
        X