ummm...What the ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ummm...What the ???

Yes that's a gas line going up the down spout to a roof top furnace .
    It's all downhill from here

At least the PVC "Shield" will protect it from damage!

Comment

To me it was a somewhat cleaver way to hide black steel pipe. Too bad they didn't hang it parallel with the real downspout to the right.

I had a job where the cable/ satellite lines were run from the roof 3 stories up, down the no hub roof drain lines into the garage and exited via a jim cap in the garage on an entire condo project. The only good thing about this was the homeowners could actually watch on live tv their building getting flooded.

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Should they be using black steel outside? Looks like lots of corrosion.

Comment

Galvy for this Irishman.
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

What was the Gasfitter thinking..........????????????

Comment

I think it's brilliant. Obviously it's not being used for a downspout. Also, galvy for gas is mostly a Ca. thing. Most states galvy for gas is illegal, inside and out.

Comment

I was kind of amazed myself.Not a bad idea,out here galvy on gas lines is a no go...as well with copper too.Except outside of cook county in the farms where there's well and septic with propane tanks .
                It's all downhill from here

Comment

Galvy is an approved material as far as the National Fuel gas code. I'm not clear why it is illegal in many places. Here all exterior gas piping is galvy and there is no corrosion that I can see. Copper is also an approved material but it is based on the content of Hydrogen Sulfide in the gas. Copper is pretty much exclusively used places like the UK and Europe - never heard of issues due to the use of copper in gas piping over there.

Comment

Got a call from a voice message from a customer yesterday, they were attempting to install a cold water supply to a refrigerator ice cube maker and used a self piercing valve. (Not legal here btw.) and they attached the self piercing valve to a gas line. We all know mistakes happen. Thankfully nobody was hurt.
                    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
                      PLUMBER RICK commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Was the gas line copper?

I was at a job yesterday and noticed a patio stubout meant for an outdoor bbq. It had a gas valve then went to pvc and headed into the ground. No idea where it goes as the patio is small and covered in brick. Fortunatly the valve is off. No idea if the homeowner, handyman, or gardner might have attempted a planter sprinkler system or bbq. Looks like its been there for years.

Rick.

Yep. Copper. It's legal here for natural gas.
                    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
                      Galvy is an approved material as far as the National Fuel gas code. I'm not clear why it is illegal in many places. Here all exterior gas piping is galvy and there is no corrosion that I can see. Copper is also an approved material but it is based on the content of Hydrogen Sulfide in the gas. Copper is pretty much exclusively used places like the UK and Europe - never heard of issues due to the use of copper in gas piping over there.
                      Because their are properties in the gas that cause the galvy to flake off and mess up gas controls,
                      think back to the days when they had run away burners,
                      which is why their has to be gas valve close at hand to shut off gas in case you can't get to the burner control ! also the same for copper on the West Coast
                      Preview
                      Jerry Mac
                      MAC SALES 777
                      SEWER EQUIPMENT SALES
                      jerryhodge@att.net

Comment

We have (had) a copper stub off of our gas meter that used to go to the back of the house for a grill. I found it buried when I had to re-do some drains for rainwater underground. It was about 15 feet long, just cut off and buried about a foot deep. A side shutoff was put on the meter, so I guess it was put there when the hosue was built in 1968. Thought about running a new line for the grill off the valve, but never got around to it and capped it off at the meter. It was all copper from the fitting on the meter, on.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                          Got a call from a voice message from a customer yesterday, they were attempting to install a cold water supply to a refrigerator ice cube maker and used a self piercing valve. (Not legal here btw.) and they attached the self piercing valve to a gas line. We all know mistakes happen. Thankfully nobody was hurt.
                          Nice . Had one of those also. The HO was finishing off attic. He was drilling something and drilled through a black steel gas line. He said he thought he felt something hard but just kept at it. Fortunately that piece was in an unfinished area and I was able to fix it with a couple nipples and a union. Jeez
                          ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                          X