Bosch electric tankless

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bosch electric tankless

Had a customer call be, a regular, her water heater not working. It was, a Bosch rp27pt. After a stupid long call to tech support, found one of the elements to be bad. Unfortunately, you can't service them. They are bad or good. If bad, well you have to replace the ENTIRE WATER HEATER. Yes. Bosch tech support told me that I have it on recording lol.

Anyways. After that terrible call, over a hour on hold just to talk to someone, and the fact they say you can't service the elements, I talked her into a Eco smart. Same size as her old one.

Get out here today, probably a week later the electrician wired it in. And she's bestially complaining of cold water sandwich. I told her as far as I know, all electric tankless water heaters have that problem. She will run the lav, wash hands whatever. Then hop in the shower. Hot water for a bit, cold then hot again.

Well my old one never did that.
    In my mind I'm thinking, yes it did.

Am I correct, is she mistaken and nervous about this new model clouding her memory?

Or is she right and that pos Bosch has some magical feature built in that they don't get cws?

Check the flow rate for operation of both models and report back.

Comment

• Mac's
      Mac's commented
      Editing a comment
      Flow rate is dang near identical for the two units. At 3gpm the Bosch makes 115 degree water with incoming temp being 55 degrees. The ecosmart gets a 61 degree rise at 3gpm with incoming temp being 55.

112.5 amps. we would need a nuclear power plant at every corner to power these things. You have 3 sets of twin 40's amp breakers on that heater?

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      112.5 amps. we would need a nuclear power plant at every corner to power these things. You have 3 sets of twin 40's amp breakers on that heater?

Rick.
      All versions & brands of whole-house electric tankless make no sense to me either. I had to participate in one where no matter what, they wouldn't listen and insisted on one. Had to get the power company involved, an electrician, etc. Installed a whole separate meter AND service just to run this water heater. Just nuts.

Comment

Yes. Three 40 amp double pole breakers. #8 wire. They take a lot.

Comment

Many customers are afraud of an inadvertent natural gas explosion. My next door neighbor bought her home and the kitchen had a very little used Viking commercial stove but she was worried about a NG explosion, she practically gave it away and bought an electric stove.

She had a Bosch NG tankless than was leaking and overheating and she wanted to replace it with electric but she didn't have enough room in the panel for the breakers and ended up with a NG Takagi.

Comment

I think you should re-read my question. The flow rate for activation is not nearly identical for the two units. The Bosch is .8 GPM and the ECO Smart is likely .3. (Assuming this. You didn't list the model, but many of them have this spec.)

Lower is better. So you have improved her system and actually decreased the likelihood and length of cold water sandwiching.

Now, to be fair, there could be something amiss with the actual heater. If you can confirm it is coming on and coming to temperature correctly, then she may not be completely truthful.

Comment

Oh you mean minimum flow rate. IDK. Because the unit not kicking on isn't the issue. To quote you, I think you should re read my question. Yes the unit is kicking on. The problem is cold water sandwich.

And I rolled the dice and decided to call tech support. After about 45 minutes they answered my question. Yes, the old Bosch does make sandwiches.

Comment

a small electric tank heater installed at the output of the tankless will help to absorb the cold water sandwich. this will store 5 gallons of hot water and will only heat when the stored water cools off. during regular hot water use, the tankless will keep the small 5 gallon heater hot. it's basically a 5 gallon storage tank with a 120 volt 1300 watt element.

they will still have the initial cold water upon startup that's stored in the piping between the heater and fixtures, but that is typical with no circulating line.

Rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

• Mac's
                  Mac's commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Only about a foot of pipe is accessible. Insulation will help with thermal efficiency, but it's not gonna help CWS. You're right though about outside temps. Plus, I know they haven't lived there very long so they don't really know what it's like during the winter. I'll be facing her in a few hours. Can't wait!

• Mac's
                  Mac's commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Only about a foot of pipe is accessible. Insulation will help with thermal efficiency, but it's not gonna help CWS. You're right though about outside temps. Plus, I know they haven't lived there very long so they don't really know what it's like during the winter. I'll be facing her in a few hours. Can't wait!

• Mightyservant
                  Mightyservant commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good luck, it will work out!

Originally posted by Mac's View Post
                Oh you mean minimum flow rate. IDK. Because the unit not kicking on isn't the issue. To quote you, I think you should re read my question. Yes the unit is kicking on. The problem is cold water sandwich.

And I rolled the dice and decided to call tech support. After about 45 minutes they answered my question. Yes, the old Bosch does make sandwiches.
                Nope. No need. I understood it the first time. Hope you get it resolved to their liking.

Comment

Give Her a tank water heater . I'll run the gas line for free . " thankless tankless "
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I choose waterguides.org as my electric tankless provider. You can choose the size of gallon (2.5/4/7.5). It is very convenient hot water heater. The thermal has 98% efficiency. The price is worth-it. Plumbers are professional and skilled. You can assure that if you need a help they can provide the fast assistance. The features of the entire bosch electric tankless is ideal. Visit the site for you to read the specs.
                    Last edited by leonoro; 03-16-2019, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X