Burglary Sprinkler System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burglary Sprinkler System

With all the Knock Knock burglaries going on in the neighborhoods out here. Alarms and cameras don't seem to be putting a damper on things, I'm thinking of developing a system that will either piss off the would be burglars or make it very difficult for them to operate inside of the home.

1 of the local Neighbors posted some good videos of 2 burglars who were not phased by the great quality security cameras, or dog inside the house. They made off with a safe filled with family heirlooms.

The videos from many different cameras showed the first guy at the front door knocking with the dog inside barking. Then on his cell phone calling in the second guy who both jump the fence and went to work carefully cutting a glass window so as to not make much noise and not to slide open the window frame setting off the contact sensors. They spent the first 6 minutes of the total 15 minute job outside prepping to get in. Even made the Evening news on 2 different stations the other night.

So my thought is to incorporate a high pressure sprinkler system above each exterior window and door that when tripped will flow either hot or cold water, possibly even stinky water or dye colored water. Don't think they will stick around once soaked by my super soaker.

Another thought would be to incorporate a Co2 or some other non lethal gas system into the house or bedrooms. But this has to have a safety built in so as not to go off with the owners while sleeping. The idea is to fill the room with a gas or smoke that will make it difficult to breath and see. Something that will scare the crap out of the intruder. They wouldn't be prepared to be gassed and wouldn't know what it is.

I know it sounds extreme, but if you knew how these crimes have been going on for several years and continue not just in Los Angeles, but also Beverly Hills, Santa Monica and surrounding neighborhoods, I thought I could use a Plumbing approach at stopping the crooks.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Mightyservant, you interested in a new career as a "Sprinkler Crime Fitter"

Rick.
    phoebe it is

So they knew there was a safe in the house.
    Inside information. Track down the maids boyfriend.

Most home burglaries are from folks you know or friends of folks you know.

Sounds like a good idea, a wet thief stands out.

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
      PLUMBER RICK commented
      Editing a comment
      The rate these things are happening, the crooks don't know the contents of the homes. They flip over the house or the bedrooms in minutes. A few years back they hit 9 homes in 1 day.
      These are gang related thieves who know enough about alarms, and entry points.

Rick.

One shot of fire sprinkler water will turn you into a Dalmation black spots and all. But even a ripe smelling dog smells better that stinky sprinkler water and I'm not sure you want that anywhere near your house.

There are ways you can do it but it takes some pricy gear to make it work but then you add a layer of complexity to your life arming and disarming the system. Even if you use co2 you can it can hurt you in high concentrations.

The situation just flat out sucks and there are no good answers. I grew up in a rough part of San Diego with sirens always going all the time, cops always sitting someone on the curb, drunks. My doors are never locked now, heck the back door is left open so the dogs can get out. It's probably not to smart I'll admit.

Sounds like you guys already pretty well covered by cameras and you can only put so much in a safe. We have infared sensors in the office, the second you walk in all heck break loose until you enter the password. They must have wireless systems with this feature by now than shouldn't be to burdensome to install.

Comment

Thinking a simpler system with pex. Not steel with cutting oil. Yes fire sprinkler water is worse than sewage smell. Must be the sulfur in the cutting oil.

Sprinklers outside the windows and Co2 or smoke inside. Pretty easy to have a system light off a smoke grenade like we use for testing sewers.

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Not to sure how well this would work, it certainly would make it a PIA to find the exit in a hurry

Comment

4 years ago my house was burglarized by a probable drug addict. Every day A crackhead woman would walk across the church yard where my house is, she knew my truck was gone for the day. She probably called a friend. All it took was a small prybar to wedge the deadbolt. A lot of smalls were gone but luckily he didn't take my collection. I knew she was related to the burglar, it may even be her because when she walked by I would sit and stare, take pictures and she'd just move on pretending.

Reading the next paragraphs will make you think I'm nuts but remember a collection is expensive and takes years to get piece by piece...

I was to pissed I decided I would make it so hard no one would get in unless they had a lot of time and many tools to get in. I completely removed the back wall where the door is, the wall frame is welded steel. The commercial door has been reinforced with steel plating and the handle of the door locks 5 inch dead bolts in 4 different positions with 2 custom inset pick proof deadbolts in the wall. Unless you have a quick-saw and know where to cut you ain't getting in through that door. If you force the door handle I designed it so the handle shears off.

Bars on the back windows, alarm system with motion sensors in every room. While I was working on the back door I screwed a 2x4 behind the front door until I could build a better one for the front. Someone tried to break in the front 5 months later. I followed the footsteps in the snow all the way to their apartment. Unfortunately the police couldn't arrest anyone since the door wasn't damaged this time.

Once inside the house my collection room has a solid core fire door with an electronic "hasp"

After that I got 3 potential thieve trying to check if someone was home. When I answered the front door they had outrageous stories so I knew they were casing the place.
          Last edited by Pro Service; 04-10-2018, 12:35 PM.

Comment

• Mightyservant
            Mightyservant commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds like some of the houses in my old neighborhood growing up. They also had some pretty fearsome dog kept on chains. I remember I once got to close to a fence and the dog on the other side going crazy. I about crapped my pants.

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          Thinking a simpler system with pex. Not steel with cutting oil. Yes fire sprinkler water is worse than sewage smell. Must be the sulfur in the cutting oil.

Sprinklers outside the windows and Co2 or smoke inside. Pretty easy to have a system light off a smoke grenade like we use for testing sewers.

Rick.
          Tear gas may not work as it takes too long to take effect. I would say pepper spray fluid above the windows like a windshield washer nozzle or fire extinguisher contraption filled with the fluid drenching the culprits. They won't stay long with the burning sensation in their clothes and face.

If you are evil how about the same principle with clobber drain opener? Check out the Robocop scene below. They'll never come back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J8mkHUsiXY
          Last edited by Pro Service; 04-10-2018, 12:51 PM.

Comment

could consider an electric fener, and run some wires under the windows, or if aluminum windows, a wire to the frome of the window, I have a 50 mile fencer on one fence, you feel like you got hit by sledge hammer,
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

phosgene... freon 22 or 410a and a flame... stops you quick, damn quick
              ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I have heard that a number of the jewelry stores (not in malls) in my city use a smoke cloak type system for robbery prevention. There is also a 117db high pitch audio system available that apparently drives intruders (and anybody else) out of the area when it goes off.

Comment

• Mightyservant
                  Mightyservant commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I dunno but the smoke and noise seem prudent and less of a liability, too bad we have to work harder at it that the friggin thieves!
              Working...
              X