Figure 8 fitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Figure 8 fitting

Ok so I found out what this fitting was called , the customer has constant toilet backups , I believe it?s due to the baffle as well as the paper towels , (already suggested hand dryers and remove paper towels ) , he insisted on digging up ,this serves 2 back to back 1.0gal power assist toilets about 6 ft away is b2b lav with 3? vent , the 3? building drain is so shallow I?m having a hard time deciding what route to go , I came up with two spigot 3?wye both on their back with 3? low heel and 2? vent , that would cause one toilet to be a few inches farther from the side wall than it is and unless that?s a code issue I?m good with it , the two wyes would both vent up and revent Above flood level , or can I just put two spigot wyes horizontal and 90 up using the 3? building drain and wet vent with the two lavs eliminating the separate vent for toilet? , the 2nd way would put the toilets event farther from the side wall
    Thanks

It's the baffle, it's the pressure assist toilets that blow back into each other.

Most likely the toilet manufacturer Don't recommend a back to back with these toilets.

lots of toilets that post the warning about back to back.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

That looks like a no-hub stack fitting. A closet cross with a 2" side outlet to pick up a lav or urinal.
      Maybe Zurn or Charlotte Pipe brand.

Never saw one laid on its side like that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	190
Size:	628.8 KB
ID:	736751

Here's a similar one from Tyler.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Closet Cross.png
Views:	187
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	736752
      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Comment

Comment

My question is can I eliminate the vent and use the 3? that the b2b lavs are tied into or do these need a separate vent that probably revents in ceiling

Comment

I'm not a plumber but it's sounds like the current layout isn't working for the customer and I would not count on them eliminating paper towels at least for very long. There is talk now that hand driers do more harm than good by spreading airborne bacteria.

If you can be in compliance I'd reconfigure the layout. It's more work but it there should be a performance improvement.

I've seen those fittings used quite a bit in high rise structures in vertical configuration. If you end up keep that fitting I'd at least replace it with new or recoat the fitting and surrounding pipe.

Is this a commercial building ?

Comment

A figure 6 is the vertical fitting for the back to back toilet.

With the low flow toilets, the baffle can be an issue especially with wipes. without a baffle a pressure assist toilet can turn the opposing toilet into a bidet for the unlucky person who is sitting while the other toilet is being flushed.

Now who wants to guess what a figure 69 is?

i've used them thousands of times.

Rick
              phoebe it is

Comment

The suspense is killing me

Comment

I just found out that a fig 5 is called that because it looks like a Roman numeral 5 even though it only has 4 inlets

Comment

I can't imagine you would ever need a figure 8. I suppose if you were doing a multi-story job. What you have now is a sanitary cross and they can be a real problem. Like putting a power snake down one flange and having the head come up the other and smashing the toilet to pieces. UPC doesn't allow them. A figure 5 is the ticket They look remarkably like a double combo... but are not. Generally they are a 3"x3"x2". If the 2" vent is in the center wall, two 4"x3"x12" closet ells should work(in no-hub C.I.)If you have a height issue you can use a wye and then the double fixture tee with a street 1/8 bend to bring the vent back to vertical As an aside. Did you know that there's a adapter from abs/pvc to no-hub C.I.? I know,I know. Lots of "plumbers" use a fernco band to make the transition. The problem there is that the I.D. is not the same and using those creates a lip inside the connection.
                    Last edited by rgwysham; 05-30-2019, 07:43 PM.

Comment

In such a tight space, the figure #8 does seem like a great solution. However, as Rick says, blow back cross over can be a problem and many manufacturers warn against using back to back fixture fittings. Instead of changing out the fitting, how about changing out the toilets. And, no more paper towels.

Comment

In such a tight space, the figure #8 does seem like a great solution. However, as Rick says, blow back cross over can be a problem and many manufacturers warn against using back to back fixture fittings. Instead of changing out the fitting, how about changing out the toilets. And, no more paper towels.

Comment

Working...
                        X