What to buy to get some depreciation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to buy to get some depreciation

I'm looking for ideas on what to purchase before year end to get a depreciation write off. I'm looking to spend about $30k and would prefer not to purchase another vehicle since I have no good place to park it. ) I have Ridgid 300B Propess and pretty much most accessories except the XLC jaw kit. Also have a Milwaukee press tool which is what I mostly use. I have a Ridgid 2001 cable machine. A crap load of Milwaukee power tools with duplicates of most of them. A Flir Infrared imager, Ridgid freeze kit, Bacharat combustion analyser, RPZ test kits, It would be nice to invest in a new plumbing technology outside of drain cleaning that will help generate revenue. Ultrasonic leak detection gear?

I was considering a larger jetter. (Have a small electric General model ) but I don't have a shop and my garage and storage unit are both packed so have no place to store it. I'm a one person operation so would prefer to keep the overhead down. (No external shop).

Sometimes I don't see the forest for the trees so am wide open to suggestions.

Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

I have a old 1980 pickup I will sell you for 30k it is rough enough it will not care where you park it, will that help, I would thank you, and so would My banker. and if that is no good enough I have two more (non running pickups over in the yard that I could throw in for 10K each,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I like the Ridgid RT175 for electric soldering. We use it when we pipe MRI rooms. It's fast and clean and gives you a more solid joint up to 3" pipe. If we did more copper we would probably press fittings but we just don't do enough of them to justify the expense.

The RT175 in about $900 and the RT 100 is about $600 however its limited to 1 1/2" pipe.

Knipex pliers wrench works like pliers with smooth jaws for setting finish work, $140 set of 3 different sizes.

Comment

Maybe you should spend the 30 Grand on a bigger garage and storage unit....
        YouTube: (subscribe):https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpN...confirmation=1
        FaceBookpage:https://www.facebook.com/LeGrandAndCompany/

Comment

• geno gardner
          geno gardner commented
          Editing a comment
          Right! Unfortunately that won’t qualify for a section 179 accelerated deduction.

Are you looking for locating equipment?

I've been thinking of selling my SR-20 and accessories.

Need a total Station? I have my Nikon Nivo 3c I am considering selling too.
        "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

Comment

• Mightyservant
          Mightyservant commented
          Editing a comment
          What data logger did you use with it? What software were you using? I've been thinking about trying one out I'm just not sure I have the time or energy to learn how to use it well enough to survey existing work, load it onto drawings etc.
          Last edited by Mightyservant; 12-21-2018, 07:38 PM.

I just ordered a new Ridgid Scout locator for AJ Coleman.

New thing with them is a modern web site. Big move up to this century. LOL

Great place to do business with.

Geno, buy a trailer jetter and keep it in my shop. SO I can use it. LOL
        Your right down the road from me.

Comment

• geno gardner
          geno gardner commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe we should talk.?

I was also going to suggest a larger jetter too. But based on your needs and freezing weather, not sure it's a good fit for you at this time. I didn't see you list a sewer camera/ seesnake. with all the bells and whistles you could have 8-12k invested. I'm too looking to buy something, but not sure i need another large piece of equipment.

Rick
        phoebe it is

Comment

• geno gardner
          geno gardner commented
          Editing a comment
          I do have a main sewer camera and locator. Although I don’t care much for the locator and could consider the Ridgid which I’ve seen work and was quite impressive. If I had good help I would be happy to get a big jetter!

If you have a favorite charity, that's a great place to unload money and grow clients. Another way is to give Christmas bonuses which helps employees during often slower months when they need more cash.

If you've got everything you need and business is great nothing is more rewarding than taking care of people if you can. You can give your money to the Feds and never see it again or you can help those around you, look like a good guy both of which get you a lot of good will, more business, more motivated employees and get a deduction as well.

Comment

• geno gardner
          geno gardner commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m a one person shop, and use fellow contractors when It makes sense. I give plenty away through the year.

An investment is way better than a right off...
        YouTube: (subscribe):https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpN...confirmation=1
        FaceBookpage:https://www.facebook.com/LeGrandAndCompany/

Comment

Whatever generates the most income . If its sewers then focus on a camera ,other drain cleaning machines, even a jetter. If its plumbing,organization helps.. Better shelving, containers, bins, maybe a wrapp on your vehicle. Or load up on stock and inventory, more material ,if some tools are outdated or cords knicked or cut ,... Maybe pipe thawers ,pipe freezers, new cables for your machines ,spare camera heads,better locating equipment, or leak detection....Jack hammers ,concrete saws ,new uniforms, better advertisement ,new invoices, business cards,postcards ,Christmas cards,, thank you cards,New software new laptop or ipad...Maybe a cellphone...heck you can do a lot

Comment

• geno gardner
            geno gardner commented
            Editing a comment
            Sewermonster, Toolwise I already have literally everything you listed except a concrete saw. I could upgrade my jackhammer. No business cards either as I don’t advertise at all. Your suggestion regarding whatever would generate the most income is spot on and good advice
        Working...
        X